The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

You guys need to stop including Higgy in a conversation about Loui.  Nobody from the 2011 team is anything like Loui!

Higgy was a try player who accepted when he was old and done.  LE has yet to accept he’s an old man who is done in the NHL.  

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The long term CAP penalty was put in to penalize teams that made poor decisions signing players long term. IMHO the Rangers were classic perps in this. Rich teams that could write off bad contracts and target younger players with equally high pay rates. Do away with this protection and Canadian teams and poorer USA teams would be penalized in a major way.  

Although worse for some markets, it's bad for everyone.  

Throw in the silliness that lets teams underpay the young stars and you just have a mess.  Which is what we have.  LE is paid more than Pettersson.  Says it all.  

Not saying he has been stellar because he still has zero points, but have noticed Loui far more engaged.  He appears to be skating quicker and harder and generally is one of the first forwards on the forecheck.

He hasn't been great, but honestly I haven't had much issues with Loui.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:34 PM, Alflives said:

Could Loui have an arrangement with management that if they keep him up with the team for this season, he will retire after next July’s bonus is paid?  That saves Loui the embarrassment of going to the minors, and the Canucks dump his cap next season.  

i thought you said he was retiring this season?????

well at least we know

in one season you will be correct

and he will retire

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The saddest thing with LE is he was respected as a top NHL player back home is Sweden.  He’s turning into an old man who is ruining his legacy back home.  

We owed Matts Sundin 10 million for just one more season, but he chose instead to retire, because he didn’t want to ruin his legacy.  I still believe LE cares about his legacy and will retire in July 2020

A counter-example would be Datsyk.  Great player, great legacy -- but tarnished by taking a year's free money (and cap hit) when he left Detroit to "retire" in Russia.

Some players lack class. 

We'll see what happens with LE soon enough, as Roussel is close to coming back and some of those Utica wannabes look like they could fill in for LE in a heartbeat.  Time to "Kovalchuk" him, perhaps. (Let him practice with the team but make it clear he won't be playing in any circumstance.)  After his comments in the summer, I think the team will get no flak if they deal with him in a matter of fact way.  

There are so many things that can make an older, aging player viable -- up to a certain point -- but LE doesn't seem to be willing to do any of them, imo.  He has not had 2 good shifts in a row this season or pre-season.  Hardly any good shifts at all.  To think that Gaudette was sat and this guy played instead a couple of times this season.  Amazing.

I will be very surprised if he is still getting any ice time at all after Christmas.  I think he will be waived in a few weeks and Utica will put him in the pressbox or perhaps see if he can agree to do some coaching?  

Comparisons with Higgins are somehow both accurate and unfair.  Higgins never lacked class.  The guy is still good for the team today.  Can't see LE having this status.  Higgins came from other teams as well, not like he was drafted and developed here like Burrows or Bieksa.  Makes him even more admirable imo. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not saying he has been stellar because he still has zero points, but have noticed Loui far more engaged.  He appears to be skating quicker and harder and generally is one of the first forwards on the forecheck.

Interesting how we have both clearly been watching the game but have entirely different opinions.

Not going to comment on his effort level exactly, but he seems like the same player to me that we have come to expect. Actually, maybe even worse over our losing streak.

No hitting or physicality. Weak getting to the puck and on the puck. Not getting into hard areas. Zero creativity, drive to the net, or even any chemistry with his linemates.

I supported getting him in the first place but he has been a totally different player since Boston. I never understood how a guy with a solid history could drop off that suddenly and felt he HAD to come back eventually.

It is clear I was wrong, and it is time for us to move on. Once we are healthy again, I would rather we send him to Utica and use our youth for callups. Even if a guy like MacEwen doesn't score either, at least he brings passion and size to the rink every night.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Interesting how we have both clearly been watching the game but have entirely different opinions.

Not going to comment on his effort level exactly, but he seems like the same player to me that we have come to expect. Actually, maybe even worse over our losing streak.

No hitting or physicality. Weak getting to the puck and on the puck. Not getting into hard areas. Zero creativity, drive to the net, or even any chemistry with his linemates.

I supported getting him in the first place but he has been a totally different player since Boston. I never understood how a guy with a solid history could drop off that suddenly and felt he HAD to come back eventually.

It is clear I was wrong, and it is time for us to move on. Once we are healthy again, I would rather we send him to Utica and use our youth for callups. Even if a guy like MacEwen doesn't score either, at least he brings passion and size to the rink every night.

Eriksson was ideal for the twins.  He played with them on the Swedish team.  Won a gold medal didn't they?

Anyway, he has not fit in since his first year or two.

And what is sad for older guys like me (I'm in my 60s lol) is that I know what it's like to lose a step and not quite be willing to admit you have lost that step.

But, sports is a young man's game, and I think the low amount of minutes he's had on the ice in the last 2 years has made it easier for him to think that he still has something left.  After all, he's not injured or tired, and he still has something to prove.

But I think it's age now, he's lost some stuff.  Not sure when the decline began, but it's a factor now. He should return to Sweden after signing out of this contract (at then end of this season?)  Or he's going to be waived or done to him what has been done to Kovalchuk.  That cap space is really really going to have to be gone and sooner than people think.  I suspect something similar is in the wings for Baertschi.  Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser in a few years and Horvat all over again are going to have to be paid what they are worth.  And Virtanen soon, and Juolevi if he makes the team... and Podkolzin if he's as good as he looks... and... and... 

6 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Doubt it.  Higgy also had the class to not complain about his coach, unlike our $6 million floater.  Reporters love LE because he doesn't even need a shower after a game though.

His new nickname "bone dry". (aka, never breaks a sweat).  ::D

Edited by CoolCanucklehead
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, gameburn said:

A counter-example would be Datsyk.  Great player, great legacy -- but tarnished by taking a year's free money (and cap hit) when he left Detroit to "retire" in Russia.

Some players lack class. 

We'll see what happens with LE soon enough, as Roussel is close to coming back and some of those Utica wannabes look like they could fill in for LE in a heartbeat.  Time to "Kovalchuk" him, perhaps. (Let him practice with the team but make it clear he won't be playing in any circumstance.)  After his comments in the summer, I think the team will get no flak if they deal with him in a matter of fact way.  

There are so many things that can make an older, aging player viable -- up to a certain point -- but LE doesn't seem to be willing to do any of them, imo.  He has not had 2 good shifts in a row this season or pre-season.  Hardly any good shifts at all.  To think that Gaudette was sat and this guy played instead a couple of times this season.  Amazing.

I will be very surprised if he is still getting any ice time at all after Christmas.  I think he will be waived in a few weeks and Utica will put him in the pressbox or perhaps see if he can agree to do some coaching?  

Comparisons with Higgins are somehow both accurate and unfair.  Higgins never lacked class.  The guy is still good for the team today.  Can't see LE having this status.  Higgins came from other teams as well, not like he was drafted and developed here like Burrows or Bieksa.  Makes him even more admirable imo. 

Datsyuk did not take the money.  He retired but was no longer paid.   Before finalising his decision to retire from the NHL, Datsyuk told media that he had made a mistake signing that 3 year deal.  He hadn't realised that the cap hit would stay on the books.  He thought he could just retire without impacting Detroit's cap situation.  He had ankle surgery the year before and it was never fully healed.  

• Upvote 1

Naslund signed a 2 year 6m contract in New York.  He played the first year of that contract and scored 25 goals.  He then retired the next season leaving 6m on the table because he didn't want to coast and collect a paycheck.  He and Peter Forsberg then played together for Modo in the SHL to help Modo out because they both played there before they played in the NHL.  That is how you preserve a legacy.  Hope Loui has the same integrity and retires next summer. B)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't want to add to the hate wagon for Loui, but I agree its time to move on and think the Higgy comp is a good one. Much like Higgy, I think Loui is giving his best. Which makes it all the more disappointing.  

You're right. I do think he's trying his best. It's tough to watch for the guys personality seems quiet, and thats not his fault.

3 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

You're right. I do think he's trying his best. It's tough to watch for the guys personality seems quiet, and thats not his fault.

the team and coaching staff would know if the effort wasn't there, and they would not put him on the ice if that at least wasn't there. The rest of it is conspiracy theory worthy imo.

Age related decline, it is what it is. I think AG has certainly beat him out for a spot and Roussel is now just a few weeks from returning. That seals Loui's fate unless there's some wave of new injuries. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I  am of the mind that the Canucks need to move on in general from their older veterans 

over the next few years

And let the young leaders take over completely...…...

To me, having Louie hanging around, is counter productive, as the players all know what is what, they know who is contributing, 

and they know who's spot he is taking. I honestly think that has a negative impact on the players, as they want to see the guys that 

deserve it, playing.

I also see there being more than 1 option available to Benning......with Louie

#1. Keep him in Vancouver, playing him occasionally

#2. Sent him to Utica to ride the bus

#3. Buy him out......severe relations with him completely

#4. Have him retire, and have him scout

#5. Loan him to the SHL and let him play out the rest of his playing days

#6. Let him sit around here, and pay him his $4 Million signing bonus, then let him retire

My preference is to waive Louie to Utica, to make is completely transparent, that we are moving on for him, and give him his options which down there

in Utica, bouncing back and forth on a bus. I think it would be a lot easier for Louie to come to a conclusion down there, and it may be earlier, than July 1st.

I honestly think it is way to easy for Louie to just sit back and collect his pay checks here

I would far rather platoon, MacEwen, Bailey, Lind, Graovac, etc up and give them experience, throughout the season, so as to have call ups that would already

have some time playing in the NHL, when it's playoff time.

Also, when Roussel comes back, the fur will fly anyways

I think number 6 (LE stays on the big club and then retires after his July 2020 bonus) has already been agreed to by LE and JB/ Aqua

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think number 6 (LE stays on the big club and then retires after his July 2020 bonus) has already been agreed to by LE and JB/ Aqua

You know Alf, that is probably the lease favorite choice for me......I think it shows the acceptance, that it is ok, to not try hard, and just pick up you check

If we are going to do that....don't reward him ...sent him down

You do that to all other players not playing well.....why him?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, mll said:

Datsyuk did not take the money.  He retired but was no longer paid.   Before finalising his decision to retire from the NHL, Datsyuk told media that he had made a mistake signing that 3 year deal.  He hadn't realised that the cap hit would stay on the books.  He thought he could just retire without impacting Detroit's cap situation.  He had ankle surgery the year before and it was never fully healed.  

My apologies.  I never saw a follow up article to the dozens that were written about his retiring and "remaining on the books because he signed his contract past the age of 35."  I'll go look up what I can find about what you have reported, and see if I can add something.  Thanks.