The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I  am of the mind that the Canucks need to move on in general from their older veterans 

over the next few years

And let the young leaders take over completely...…...

To me, having Louie hanging around, is counter productive, as the players all know what is what, they know who is contributing, 

and they know who's spot he is taking. I honestly think that has a negative impact on the players, as they want to see the guys that 

deserve it, playing.

I also see there being more than 1 option available to Benning......with Louie

#1. Keep him in Vancouver, playing him occasionally

#2. Sent him to Utica to ride the bus

#3. Buy him out......severe relations with him completely

#4. Have him retire, and have him scout

#5. Loan him to the SHL and let him play out the rest of his playing days

#6. Let him sit around here, and pay him his $4 Million signing bonus, then let him retire

My preference is to waive Louie to Utica, to make is completely transparent, that we are moving on for him, and give him his options which down there

in Utica, bouncing back and forth on a bus. I think it would be a lot easier for Louie to come to a conclusion down there, and it may be earlier, than July 1st.

I honestly think it is way to easy for Louie to just sit back and collect his pay checks here

I would far rather platoon, MacEwen, Bailey, Lind, Graovac, etc up and give them experience, throughout the season, so as to have call ups that would already

have some time playing in the NHL, when it's playoff time.

Also, when Roussel comes back, the fur will fly anyways

Again: the Kovalchuk situation comes to mind and that is very current.  Quite a few teams have Eriksson-like situations.  Perhaps every team in the league to varying degrees.

Your key additions to this discussion we have been having over the last 2 years are valuable:

1. he will get on to making a decision quicker if he is riding the bus in Utica, rather than continuing on like usual in a comfortable Vancouver bed, private planes, nutritionist and high end trainers, etc.  Very important point.  Anyone who has procrastinated knows how this works, lol. 

2. there have to be more options than keeping him here playing or keeping him here on the bench/pressbox.

3. the other players he is costing us in opportunity time.  And the morale problem.  I think the players who work hard (Tanev, Beagle, etc.,) are perfectly aware of what a farce this is becoming.  Given Horvat's quick reaction (and good judgment) regarding the Cherry firing... I think we can guess at how Horvat might see this.

I favour waiving him (then pressboxing him once he's there in Utica?) rather than any form of rewarding him with money/soft slide to Sweden, etc.  How many millions has he put aside for himself, he can afford this.

Roussel, Lind, MacEwen, and already Gaudette: Eriksson is not going to be getting ANY playing time soon.  It is so obviously time to move on.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

#1. Keep him in Vancouver, playing him occasionally

#2. Sent him to Utica to ride the bus

#3. Buy him out......severe relations with him completely

#4. Have him retire, and have him scout

#5. Loan him to the SHL and let him play out the rest of his playing days

#6. Let him sit around here, and pay him his $4 Million signing bonus, then let him retire

#7. pay him his bonus next off season and trade him to a team like ottawa that needs to meet the cap floor.  there is speculation out there that this could again be a thing next offseason.  Many of those ltir contracts are expiring this season i guess.

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

#7. pay him his bonus next off season and trade him to a team like ottawa that needs to meet the cap floor.  there is speculation out there that this could again be a thing next offseason.  Many of those ltir contracts are expiring this season i guess.

Yes, looks like 12 million worth off of LTIR...….that is a good Point

Edited by janisahockeynut

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the team and coaching staff would know if the effort wasn't there, and they would not put him on the ice if that at least wasn't there. The rest of it is conspiracy theory worthy imo.

Age related decline, it is what it is. I think AG has certainly beat him out for a spot and Roussel is now just a few weeks from returning. That seals Loui's fate unless there's some wave of new injuries. 

I'm curious as to whether he'll be in tonight's line up. I'd think not.

On 11/14/2019 at 5:18 PM, coastal.view said:

The below makes a total mockery of the NHL cap system yet the Canucks get retroactively hammered for negotiating a contract that was not outside the parameters of the existing agreement.  Ottawa has over $20 Milllion in cap for players not even playing so they can make the cap floor.  Disgusting. 

Loui would fit Ottawa's model - the Value Village of the NHL - depends what they want I guess.  I am surprised Jimmy Hoffa isn't on this list.

image.thumb.png.7e9e27f165a5be27551c88ac00dc495d.png

Edited by Borvat

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

The below makes a total mockery of the NHL cap system yet the Canucks get retroactively hammered for negotiating a contract that was not outside the parameters of the existing agreement.  Ottawa has over $20 Milllion in cap for players not even playing so they can make the cap floor.  Disgusting. 

Loui would fit Ottawa's model - the Value Village of the NHL - depends what they want I guess.  I am surprised Jimmy Hoffa isn't on this list.

get over the luongo issue

there were warnings issued by the league about this sort of contract

this outcome was part of a collective agreement

so the penalty was adopted and agreed to by all owners

including the canuck owners

i get it you are not happy about it

but stop with the nonsense

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Borvat said:

bettman is a corrupt little midget.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

Meanwhile Chicago gets to fake an illness to get out of it?  There is no way Hossa's crippling medical condition is legitimate.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Meanwhile Chicago gets to fake an illness to get out of it?  There is no way Hossa's crippling medical condition is legitimate.

fake an illness

ok then dr, heffy

you are all knowing clearly

luongo could have gone the illness route

and chose not to

so how is that on the league or the system?

nucks screwed him over

he screwed over the nucks

you know the old saying - there is no wrath like that of a goalie scorned

i think i have that right?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

If my opinion is nonsense I guess that can be said for any of yours.  I guess in a sense then this is really all nonsense.  Like your obsessive haikuish nonsense which is actually quite annoying. 

However, I won't tell you to stop.  It appears it gives you some sort of  pleasure.  Carry on.

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

I think your point is valid coastal......but what bugs me is this

#1...……..Ottawa and Toronto to name a few are circumventing the cap in much the same way as Vancouver did. And please don't argue semantics, because you know exactly what I mean (I say respectfully)  

#2...……..I would also argue that Vancouver should have never agreed, and in principle, decided to go with the old boys club, instead of their own and the fans. Honestly, I do not know why they were not more vocal about this...….IMO, they owed us the fans, at least the argument

#3...…….It is effecting our team, and that is why it will not go away...……..

#4...…….And your point...…...not any amount of bitching will change the outcome. (I get it!)

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think your point is valid coastal......but what bugs me is this

#1...……..Ottawa and Toronto to name a few are circumventing the cap in much the same way as Vancouver did. And please don't argue semantics, because you know exactly what I mean (I say respectfully)  

#2...……..I would also argue that Vancouver should have never agreed, and in principle, decided to go with the old boys club, instead of their own and the fans. Honestly, I do not know why they were not more vocal about this...….IMO, they owed us the fans, at least the argument

#3...…….It is effecting our team, and that is why it will not go away...……..

#4...…….And your point...…...not any amount of bitching will change the outcome. (I get it!)

It appears the Canucks are not happy about it either.  No one said this will change but I do not have to agree with it or like it - it smells.  

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ben-kuzma-no-cap-recapture-relief-for-canucks-after-panthers-hire-roberto-luongo

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/so-called-luongo-rule-petty-vindictive-counterintuitive-and-cute

Edited by Borvat