The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

Maybe someone could start a Change.org petition that we can present to Loui at the end of the season, as fans, encouraging him to avoid the humiliation of being sent to Utica next season, just take this 3 million dollar cheque as a parting give and retire. :)

Give him a team job in scouting or something.

Would it have an impact if we got 100,000 fan signatures on it???

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Maybe someone could start a Change.org petition that we can present to Loui at the end of the season, as fans, encouraging him to avoid the humiliation of being sent to Utica next season, just take this 3 million dollar cheque as a parting give and retire. :)

Give him a team job in scouting or something.

Would it have an impact if we got 100,000 fan signatures on it???

I'd sign 

• Cheers 2

Doesn't it make sense to keep Eriksson and not trade him away?

We won't really be contending for the next two years and when that contract ends (Along with a couple other unfavorable ones) the Canucks can actually start considering contending. 

Why throw away quality prospects for years where we won't be contending anyhow? Might as well at getting rid of contracts that are more movable and 

can lower the cap so others can be signed.

That said, I'm not fully aware of the cap situation. But just my two cents.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, Biasbieksa said:

We won't really be contending for the next two years and when that contract ends (Along with a couple other unfavorable ones) the Canucks can actually start considering contending. 

Why throw away quality prospects for years where we won't be contending anyhow? Might as well at getting rid of contracts that are more movable and 

To me, it's about whether or not we can use that 2 years of (likely retained, $3m) cap space better elsewhere and can afford a (ranked) 5-10 prospect +/- to get rid of it. Ultimately, that call comes down to management/ownership but it's certainly worth exploring depending on the cost.

But would you rather re-sign and have Leivo at likely his similar, current $1.5m cap hit plus have another $1.5m to help pay for the raises to our free agents (Toffoli, Marky, Virtanen, Tanev, Stecher, Motte)... or retain Eriksson?

The other issue starts to become roster space. He could certainly be 13th/14th F, as he largely was this year, or sent to Utica if he isn't moved/bought out/retired/terminated. But those don't offer a lot of cap relief either. (And they still represent a negative PR lightning rod).

We're at a point where we'll be cutting fat and progressively streamlining towards a playoff roster. Not sure Loui's included in that vision.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Biasbieksa said:

We won't really be contending for the next two years

I actually think our window (needs to) open next year.  Not that we can’t have an extended window but the way the league is it’s a good idea to make hay when the sun shines (or win games with stars on elc’s). 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Biasbieksa said:

I agree, the whole thing was just a mistake.  We have to just deal with him being on our payroll.  Now that Brock is back and hopefully MacEwen becomes a full time guy, Loui is gonna be a healthy scratch often anyway 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Biasbieksa said:

Enough said.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

More and more talk of a possible compliance buyout or two if the league can’t salvage enough revenue to keep the cap flat or up a little.

I guess we would have to use it on Eriksson... but it is a shame we didn’t play hardball with him beforehand and send him to the minors to see if he would actually play there for a stretch or would have chosen to go home.

There are a lot of other teams with longer term bad contracts who would benefit as well.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

More and more talk of a possible compliance buyout or two if the league can’t salvage enough revenue to keep the cap flat or up a little.

I guess we would have to use it on Eriksson... but it is a shame we didn’t play hardball with him beforehand and send him to the minors to see if he would actually play there for a stretch or would have chosen to go home.

There are a lot of other teams with longer term bad contracts who would benefit as well.

After Loui’s July bonus isn’t he owed about 5 million total for the last two years?  I’d say Aquilini would compliance buyout Loui.  If we have two of these buyouts though, which other player would we use that on?  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

After Loui’s July bonus isn’t he owed about 5 million total for the last two years?  I’d say Aquilini would compliance buyout Loui.  If we have two of these buyouts though, which other player would we use that on?  

Ferland? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Ferland? 

Unless we can put his cap on LTI, I’d agree.  Combined that’s 9.5 million off the cap.  Heard on the radio the league will lose 1 billion if they cancel this season.  Cap might actually go down? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Unless we can put his cap on LTI, I’d agree.  Combined that’s 9.5 million off the cap.  Heard on the radio the league will lose 1 billion if they cancel this season.  Cap might actually go down? 

I was just thinking about erasing the longest contract terms with problems. Sutter's a big number but he's gone after 1 season so I wouldn't waste the buyout on that.

The cap going down would create an awful lot of problems for every team. I can see it staying level, and Bettman adding a single compliance buyout to help teams manage things that way. It is a special write down, so maybe the teams just eat the loss and use it against next years revenue. Sports teams might be able to ask for and get some special tax relief from the US and Canadian gov'ts. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I was just thinking about erasing the longest contract terms with problems. Sutter's a big number but he's gone after 1 season so I wouldn't waste the buyout on that.

The cap going down would create an awful lot of problems for every team. I can see it staying level, and Bettman adding a single compliance buyout to help teams manage things that way. It is a special write down, so maybe the teams just eat the loss and use it against next years revenue. Sports teams might be able to ask for and get some special tax relief from the US and Canadian gov'ts. 

Escrow is going to be 50%.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Escrow is going to be 50%.  

ugh, then its a guaranteed lockout situation. Not good with a new team coming on board in Seattle. I'm guessing Gary is on the phone with other league brass and they will be seeking special tax relief for all leagues. 

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They won’t let the cap go down Even with a compliance buyout... it is a one time scenario, so I am sure they will figure a way to keep it flat and recoup the money eventually.

Once Seattle comes on-board it is going to give league-wide cap relief as the same amount of committed contract dollars get spread a little thinner.  It will help self correct things with teams up against the cap and also having money to pay free agents.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Still think we should have gone a step further and sent him to Utica while instructing Cull to make his life a living hell, without any possibility of ever wasting another second of ice-time in an actual game.

• Like 1