The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not going to lie part of me wonders if TG feels any inclination to use Loui Eriksson.

Sure he should have no reason to should everyone (cept Leivo) be healthy, but we have seen time after time Green going to the Loui Eriksson well of optimism.  Loui Eriksson for whatever reason still found himself for half the year on Bo Horvat's wing.  Even when healthy, Eriksson was still carving out a role somewhere in the lineup.

Not saying it will happen, but I would not be surprised at all of Green goes back to Loui Eriksson on some line to bring defensive awareness and certainty for the play in series against the Wild.

Eriksson should be the last man,..  below MacEwan and Bailey..  those 2 have more to contribute, and need this on ice/ playoff experience over a retiring, redundant player.

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I also find that so interesting too! Gaudette has been good at the 3C role, but considering how intense this series likely will be, and how much TG trusts veterans to play key match up roles, it does raise the question if TG's desire to match up lines affects Gaudette's placement in the lineup.

I like Gaudette and I like his scrappy attitude and I see him as an important part of the team going forward but I would rather have a healthy Sutter at 3C for playoff hockey until Gaudette puts a little more meat on his bones.  Gaudette has a long career ahead of him but Sutter is the right piece for here and now for these playoffs.  And when someone goes down it will be nice to have Gaudette waiting in the wings to take up the slack.  He'll likely get his chance regardless if Sutter starts.  It's nice to have tons of depth right now, and depending on how far we go we're going to need it. 

Go Canucks Go!

Oh, and since this is an Eriksson thread I may as well mention him.   Eriksson is a nice asset to have from the bench and he may even get used but I don't think he makes the starting line-up when we have so many other players available.  He could even end up being a valuable player at some point.  I mean you never know...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I like Gaudette and I like his scrappy attitude and I see him as an important part of the team going forward but I would rather have a healthy Sutter at 3C for playoff hockey until Gaudette puts a little more meat on his bones.  Gaudette has a long career ahead of him but Sutter is the right piece for here and now for these playoffs.  And when someone goes down it will be nice to have Gaudette waiting in the wings to take up the slack.  He'll likely get his chance regardless if Sutter starts.  It's nice to have tons of depth right now, and depending on how far we go we're going to need it. 

Go Canucks Go!

Oh, and since this is an Eriksson thread I may as well mention him.   Eriksson is a nice asset to have from the bench and he may even get used but I don't think he makes the starting line-up when we have so many other players available.  He could even end up being a valuable player at some point.  I mean you never know...

So much, all of this.

If Ferland's healthy:

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Ferland, Sutter, Virtanen

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

Gaudette, MacEwan, Bailey, Eriksson, Jasek etc...

It would be pretty amazing depth to have a legit NHL player like Gaudette as a spare.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So much, all of this.

If Ferland's healthy:

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

It would be pretty amazing depth to have a legit NHL player like Gaudette as a spare.

Yep.  If I were Green, that's the forward lineup that I would ice for Game #1.  And that's a pretty solid lineup with quality waiting on the bench to boot.  Green may cook up something different, and that's his prerogative, but that looks good to me.  Go Canucks Go!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

So much, all of this.

If Ferland's healthy:

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Roussel, Beagle, Motte

It makes complete sense. Virtanen/Gaudette together is a weakness over teams would seek to take advantage of defensively. Significant risk that could cost us a series.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not impossible. As disappointing as the rest of his play (and contract) is, he's one of our better defensive/PK forwards.

I'd be hard pressed to have him in my starting 12 though.

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Roussel/Sutter, Gaudette, Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Roussel/Sutter

If Ferland is healthy, Gaudette might even be sitting. Not sure where you'd squeeze in Eriksson in that case!

I wouldnt put this pylon on our roster even with the extra spots.  There is literally zero reason to allow a lazy, ungrateful piece of garbage to waste another second of NHL ice time.  Maybe telling LE to stay home in Sweden would finally get the message into his thick skull that he is not welcome here.  Graovac, Lind, MacEwen, Bailey, Baertschi, Gadjovich, Jasek, and Boucher are all better options than a floater who can't score, won't hit, and whined about being benched for one game after refusing to play like NHLer for his entire tenure here.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

I would love to see the fans get behind Loui and give him support maybe all the hate made him disinterested it is possible that he feels it and it drags him down not all has thick skin some people are more sensitive than others.

ps : I know he gets paid a lot and he should be able to brush it off but some can’t it stays in their head and takes away from their energy.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:31 PM, King Heffy said:

I wouldnt put this pylon on our roster even with the extra spots.  There is literally zero reason to allow a lazy, ungrateful piece of garbage to waste another second of NHL ice time.  Maybe telling LE to stay home in Sweden would finally get the message into his thick skull that he is not welcome here.  Graovac, Lind, MacEwen, Bailey, Baertschi, Gadjovich, Jasek, and Boucher are all better options than a floater who can't score, won't hit, and whined about being benched for one game after refusing to play like NHLer for his entire tenure here.

Tell us how you really feel

• Haha 2

On 6/13/2020 at 4:31 AM, King Heffy said:

He's the Canucks' best puck battler per Sportlogiq's tracking technology.  They ran a bracket earlier this break and had the 16 best of each division but at least 1 per team.  Eriksson lone representative for the Canucks.

Their definition:  

Puck Battle Wins are awarded to the player recovering a loose puck when there is at least one opposing player with a realistic opportunity of recovering it. This can mean there is a battle between two or more opponents prior to or at the time the puck is recovered and this can involve physical contact or stick on stick battles as well. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

He's the Canucks' best puck battler per Sportlogiq's tracking technology.  They ran a bracket earlier this break and had the 16 best of each division but at least 1 per team.  Eriksson lone representative for the Canucks.

Their definition:  

Puck Battle Wins are awarded to the player recovering a loose puck when there is at least one opposing player with a realistic opportunity of recovering it. This can mean there is a battle between two or more opponents prior to or at the time the puck is recovered and this can involve physical contact or stick on stick battles as well. 

Lol.....are you trying to incite CDC, you're doing a great job::D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, mll said:

Their definition:  

B...but $6M!!!

All jokes aside, Eriksson has remained a strong positional player and good at the "little things", but his offense has dried up even more, sadly, which to me makes him our 13th forward at best.

Where there is confusion,.  There in lies opportunities..

perhaps if LE does not return or is poor shape ,

he is not living up to his contract?

Rick Dhaliwal (@DhaliwalSports) Tweeted:
There will be hard decisions to make with the lineup and not showing up ready to play might make Green’s decisions easier. It would not be in the best interest for any player to show up to the Canucks camp out of shape.

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

There will be hard decisions to make with the lineup and not showing up ready to play might make Green’s decisions easier. It would not be in the best interest for any player to show up to the Canucks camp out of shape.

I think it goes without saying that if you show up and are thinking you're going to use this 'mini-camp' to get in shape - you're already done-for.

If you haven't put the work in already, you're going to be watching from the hotel. 

Sadly, I don't think fitness was ever one of LE's issues^_^

37 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think it goes without saying that if you show up and are thinking you're going to use this 'mini-camp' to get in shape - you're already done-for.

If you haven't put the work in already, you're going to be watching from the hotel. 

Sadly, I don't think fitness was ever one of LE's issues^_^

There’s a difference between looking like your in shape and being in shape too though,..   I’ve never seen quick feet or strength on Eriksson..

to me on this club,  JT Miller is a player that has step and strength over the fitness mag model that Eriksson really is.

• Like 1

I was just wondering.

Is there any rule against prepaying money owed, retaining the players services, trading him with no money actually owed, and just trading the cap hit.

I couldn't find anything specific on it.

I don't think it's circumventing the cap as the cap hit is still in effect; it's simply been traded.

The receiving team, essentially, gets a free player.

I don't care if Eriksson makes $20M per season if we get into the playoffs.  If he's the BPA as seen through the eyes of the coaching staff then he should be in the lineup.  What we think as fans is irrelevant as it's the coaching staff's job to ice the best team taking into account all the factors - checking, faceoffs, PK, PP, matchups, puck retrieval, influence on the bench and in the locker room.  They know a lot more and they see a lot more than I do as a fan.  

That being said, if we get a compliance buyout when the season is over.....does Eriksson make more sense than say Baertschi?  Opens up more cap space, but in terms of usefulness to the team vs deadweight cost?  

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 10:45 AM, SilentSam said:

Where there is confusion,.  There in lies opportunities..

perhaps if LE does not return or is poor shape ,

he is not living up to his contract?

when has loui ever shown up out of shape ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skategal said:

I don't care if Eriksson makes $20M per season if we get into the playoffs.  If he's the BPA as seen through the eyes of the coaching staff then he should be in the lineup.  What we think as fans is irrelevant as it's the coaching staff's job to ice the best team taking into account all the factors - checking, faceoffs, PK, PP, matchups, puck retrieval, influence on the bench and in the locker room.  They know a lot more and they see a lot more than I do as a fan.  

That being said, if we get a compliance buyout when the season is over.....does Eriksson make more sense than say Baertschi?  Opens up more cap space, but in terms of usefulness to the team vs deadweight cost?  

we need to first know the new salary cap

if it is reduced significantly and it appears that will be the new model for a number of years going forward

the team will need to buy out a high value longer term contract (myers)

cannot meaningfully discuss this issue without knowing all the details

and we will be waiting for those for quite a while i think

i also doubt the league and players will want any compliance buyout at this time

it achieves nothing but letting some of the wealthier teams off the hook for bad contract decisions

18 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

we need to first know the new salary cap

if it is reduced significantly and it appears that will be the new model for a number of years going forward

the team will need to buy out a high value longer term contract (myers)

cannot meaningfully discuss this issue without knowing all the details

and we will be waiting for those for quite a while i think

i also doubt the league and players will want any compliance buyout at this time

it achieves nothing but letting some of the wealthier teams off the hook for bad contract decisions

JP Barry has been quoted as saying that there is talk about one compliance buyout per team being allowed.  Who would the Canucks be best suited to identify?  Could Eriksson be trade bait?  His actual cost over the last two years of his contract is only $4M, cap hit remains at $6M.  He can identify a 15 team no trade list.  We already know we can't trade Baertschi, or haven't been able to at this point.  Or if Ferland comes of IR, could he be a buyout candidate?  Do you bundle Baertschi in with a youngster just to clear the deck?