Sign in to follow this  
StealthNuck

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

20 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The only way a compliance buyout will be on the table is if the cap drops significantly. If it’s flat there’s no way the owners will pony up huge buyout dollars so GM’s can temporarily fix their screwups. I’m not sure what imagined correlation between teams in cap trouble and the NHL making money is.  

This years losses will be split 50/50 by the players and the owners. (As per the CBA). Buyouts compound the losses for the owners.  If the cap stays flat I’d imagine the direction from the board of governors to the GM’s will be to “make it work”. Teams with cap space will be in a great position to get some quality players.  

The majority of teams have very little cap room and that includes the teams that seem to get buttman to make rules that benefit them:

image.thumb.png.3b9befc253935e192199b47dffb19aa4.png

Toronto, Chicago, Boston: all in cap trouble.

Therefore, buttman will give each team a buyout in my opinion.

We shall see...

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The majority of teams have very little cap room and that includes the teams that seem to get buttman to make rules that benefit them:

image.thumb.png.3b9befc253935e192199b47dffb19aa4.png

Toronto, Chicago, Boston: all in cap trouble.

Therefore, buttman will give each team a buyout in my opinion.

We shall see...

Bettman literally has nothing to do with compliance  buyouts.  They have to be agreed upon by the board of governors (the owners) and the NHLPA.  The owners are already taking a loss this season. I doubt they want to add to those loses by giving spend happy GM’s an out on the bad contracts they signed.  Some rich owners might be ok with it, but I doubt there’s enough support from the bulk of ownership unless there’s a significant enough of a drop in the cap where every team is in trouble. If the cap is flat o don’t see it happening 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Bettman literally has nothing to do with compliance  buyouts.  They have to be agreed upon by the board of governors (the owners) and the NHLPA.  The owners are already taking a loss this season. I doubt they want to add to those loses by giving spend happy GM’s an out on the bad contracts they signed.  Some rich owners might be ok with it, but I doubt there’s enough support from the bulk of ownership unless there’s a significant enough of a drop in the cap where every team is in trouble. If the cap is flat o don’t see it happening 

We shall see...

And as for your bolded, I think that is a bunch of crap. Buttman has his hand in everything with respect to how the NHL conducts business. The owners listen to whatever he says and credit him for making them hundreds of millions of dollars. So yeah...agree to disagree on your bolded 100%.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Burr 1

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We shall see...

And as for your bolded, I think that is a bunch of crap. Buttman has his hand in everything with respect to how the NHL conducts business. The owners listen to whatever he says and credit him for making them hundreds of millions of dollars. So yeah...agree to disagree on your bolded 100%.

I think Bettman is pretty much the spokesperson for the owners. Think of him as the CEO and all the owners as the board members. Board members (who represent ownership) are always above the CEO. I do think Bettman has significant influence, but I think it's far more likely that the owners are collectively telling him what to do, not the other way around.

• Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2020 at 11:42 PM, -AJ- said:

I think Bettman is pretty much the spokesperson for the owners. Think of him as the CEO and all the owners as the board members. Board members (who represent ownership) are always above the CEO. I do think Bettman has significant influence, but I think it's far more likely that the owners are collectively telling him what to do, not the other way around.

He's still a significant part of the problem though.  Think Arizona is still allowed to bleed money with a commissioner who gives a damn about the sport?  Think the corruption in the officiating ranks might be addressed by someone with integrity?  The owners would be making even more money with competent,honest leadership instead of this crook.

It's in the owners' best interests to be able to ice competitive teams.  I think a buyout would be considered an acceptable cost of doing business by most reasonably intelligent owners.

Edited by King Heffy

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Think Arizona is still allowed to bleed money with a commissioner who gives a damn about the sport?

I'd say yes, Arizona/Phoenix is the 11th biggest TV market in the states.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd say yes, Arizona/Phoenix is the 11th biggest TV market in the states.

People get too emotional about this. The guy may be a greasy little slime ball I'd want nothing to do with personally, but he's done exceedingly well by the league/owners. There's a reason he's still the commish after all these years.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

Whether we get an extra buy-out or not, we just need to find a way to get this guy off the team. He's like Toby from the Office, and we're all Michael Scott.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Whether we get an extra buy-out or not, we just need to find a way to get this guy off the team. He's like Toby from the Office, and we're all Michael Scott.

he is the 'energy vampire' from What we do in the shadows

• Haha 1