The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

I've come to acceptance of Loui likely being here until the end of his contract.

I'm choosing to look at what he does provide instead of constantly looking at his deficits and his contract.  I find doing that I have become more satisfied with the "little things" that he does do.

I hope he succeeds for his and our own benefit, I still feel he is super useful and perhaps might be a factor in our series against Minnesota.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I've come to acceptance of Loui likely being here until the end of his contract.

I'm choosing to look at what he does provide instead of constantly looking at his deficits and his contract.  I find doing that I have become more satisfied with the "little things" that he does do.

I hope he succeeds for his and our own benefit, I still feel he is super useful and perhaps might be a factor in our series against Minnesota.

no one should have done anything other than that.  He may not score like he used to (though he doesn't exactly get the opportunity), but he's a smart all around player who has found other ways to stay useful in the lineup.  

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’ve been saying all along that people hoping he’d retire or mutually terminate his contract we’re going to be disappointed 

I never once thought or expected that........and why should he be expected to?  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I never once thought or expected that........and why should he be expected to?  

He shouldn’t. But there’s a group of fans that believed he’d walk away once his bonus was paid and his cap hit would magically disappear. 

• Vintage 1

Serious question: if Loui Eriksson continues his current level of play, stays healthy/injury-free, maintains his fitness/conditioning levels, and remains a popular teammate off the ice, would you re-sign him in 2022-23 on a cheap one year deal?

Just curious how people feel.

The young Swedish players especially seem to really like Loui, and he’s played something similar to the “team dad” role that Tanev has played (for example, Petey spent Christmas with Loui during his rookie season). I could see Eriksson being a similar father figure to Höglander and other youngsters in the coming years.

Loui also remains an effective defensive player and PKer. And while he’s lost his offensive production, he’s still a pretty versatile player who can slot into a fair number of roles, up and down the lineup.

After cashing in on a rich contract that probably Eriksson himself would admit he hasn’t really lived up to, I could see Loui being willing to take a significant discount to continue playing. And probably he’ll have to take a low salary, no matter where he lands, if he hopes to remain in the NHL.

Eriksson at $1 million for 2022-23.

Who says no?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Serious question: if Loui Eriksson continues his current level of play, stays healthy/injury-free, maintains his fitness/conditioning levels, and remains a popular teammate off the ice, would you re-sign him in 2022-23 on a cheap one year deal?

Just curious how people feel.

The young Swedish players especially seem to really like Loui, and he’s played something similar to the “team dad” role that Tanev has played (for example, Petey spent Christmas with Loui during his rookie season). I could see Eriksson being a similar father figure to Höglander and other youngsters in the coming years.

Loui also remains an effective defensive player and PKer. And while he’s lost his offensive production, he’s still a pretty versatile player who can slot into a fair number of roles, up and down the lineup.

After cashing in on a rich contract that probably Eriksson himself would admit he hasn’t really lived up to, I could see Loui being willing to take a significant discount to continue playing. And probably he’ll have to take a low salary, no matter where he lands, if he hopes to remain in the NHL.

Eriksson at $1 million for 2022-23.

Who says no?

An interesting idea actually, but he is getting quite old at this point, as he's just turned 35 years old now, so his game may get even worse. By 2022, he'll be having his 37th birthday and it's reasonable to doubt that he'll still be NHL-calibre. I suppose if he was at least at his current level, it might be reasonable.

Either way, just due to the PR nightmare, I doubt Benning does it, but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

• Cheers 1

On 7/19/2020 at 12:28 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Actually if your a** is parked in the press box then you don't have much choice do you Lou.? 

But if you retire then you will be able to resume playing hockey in Sweden....that is if it's really about loving to play hockey like you say it is.

Right Lou. ? 

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Great news !

Rick Dhaliwal (@DhaliwalSports) Tweeted:
Been saying this for a long time, he is not walking away from the money left on his contract. 

Easy solution then.  Send him down to Utica and tell Cull to leave our $6 million sack of $#!& in the pressbox where he belongs.  If he wants to actually play hockey, he'd better agree to mutually terminate the contract because he sure as hell shouldn't be playing another shift for us.

• Vintage 1