The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why? nothing wrong with two separate trades, or Loui terminating. 

It is though.  It's paying draft picks to another team to get out of his contract.  The team could face a fine of up to 5M that counts against the cap and the loss of draft picks.

Edited by mll

7 minutes ago, FinchBird said:

Sounds like a old fashioned hockey trade too me, Loui should be starting game 2 v/s Minny, he owes this to himself, Bo needs him as he is getting crushed

I would slot Eriksson in over Pearson or Roussel at this point.

Very disappointed in their first games.

21 hours ago, qwijibo said:

If there is an agreement in place for him to terminate his contract and then sign with a predetermined team that gets compensation from the Canucks to do so, then it’s clear cap circumvention 

21 hours ago, mll said:

It is though.  It's paying draft picks to another team to get out of his contract.  The team could face a fine of up to 5M that counts against the cap and the loss of draft picks.

its not that different from Luongo being offered a job to retire. 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not that different from Luongo being offered a job to retire. 

It would have been if the Panthers paid Luongo outside of the normal pay scale for the job he took.  Benning said they asked the league to verify.

That's not quite what happened.  It was Luongo's decision to retire.  Once he decided to retire they probably encouraged him to retire rather than go on LTIR, but the initial decision to stop playing was his - or at least that's how it was communicated.

https://www.nhl.com/news/roberto-luongo-about-to-tell-florida-panthers-his-plan/c-307917824

"It's totally up to Roberto," Florida general manager Dale Tallon said Thursday. "We've talked a couple of times. The decision is solely up to him. Whatever is best for him and his family. We're going to go along with whatever he decides he wants to do."

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

It would have been if the Panthers paid Luongo outside of the normal pay scale for the job he took.  Benning said they asked the league to verify.  

That's not quite what happened.  It was Luongo's decision to retire.  Once he decided to retire they probably encouraged him to retire rather than go on LTIR, but the initial decision to stop playing was his - or at least that's how it was communicated.

https://www.nhl.com/news/roberto-luongo-about-to-tell-florida-panthers-his-plan/c-307917824

"It's totally up to Roberto," Florida general manager Dale Tallon said Thursday. "We've talked a couple of times. The decision is solely up to him. Whatever is best for him and his family. We're going to go along with whatever he decides he wants to do."

Of course thats what Tallon is going to say publicly. And even if it was Lu's decision, he's still helping the team he works for circumvent their cap situation by choosing to retire and there's a clear benefit for him taking a front office gig. The self interest is clear.

• Cheers 1

On 7/21/2020 at 7:13 AM, King Heffy said:

Easy solution then.  Send him down to Utica and tell Cull to leave our $6 million sack of $#!& in the pressbox where he belongs.  If he wants to actually play hockey, he'd better agree to mutually terminate the contract because he sure as hell shouldn't be playing another shift for us.

I hope they don't let you near Louis equipment after you "fixed" his stick yesterday... 

On 8/3/2020 at 6:38 PM, DeNiro said:

I would slot Eriksson in over Pearson or Roussel at this point.

Very disappointed in their first games.

Big Lou played big boy hockey in game 2 and probably stays with Furly out. Like what he brings to Bo’s game and he has something to prove. Would suggest he goes back to a wood stick though, Love to see him score winning goal in the big game and become the immortal one in Vancouver.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I think his Nickname needs to change from “Little Things” to “Nine Lives Loui”

Due to injuries he keeps getting chances to play when he really should have been relegated to the minors.

He is a decent 4th line/depth player but his contract and needing to get young guys into the lineup mean he really should be buried In the minors and never seen from again.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think his Nickname needs to change from “Little Things” to “Nine Lives Loui”

Due to injuries he keeps getting chances to play when he really should have been relegated to the minors.

He is a decent 4th line/depth player but his contract and needing to get young guys into the lineup mean he really should be buried In the minors and never seen from again.

His contract has nothing to do with him being in the minors. There is minimal savings burying him even if replacing him with the cheapest option possible.

It comes down to his play. His offense is no longer there to justify the amount of cap he takes up, but he's still a serviceable defensive forward. He played 20+ minutes in the last game, so I think he has more to offer than simply being a 4th line/depth forward. Until we have a youthful player that can actually replace what he does on the PK, defensively 5v5, and being one of the strongest on board battles, then he still holds value on our roster. Almost every time we have taken him out of the roster and not back fill his role, the team seems to struggle. Not saying he's a key piece to our future, but I don't think he should be buried in the minors. No one is taking him off our hands without us paying a pretty penny, so might as well play him as he can still provide a role for the team.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I like to complain about Eriksson he plays with heart.  It doesn't justify his $6 cap hit, but he gives it his all.  Unfortunately, there isn't too much finish left in those hands of his.  I'm learning to like Eriksson.

Loui knows where to be on D and in the O-zone, he knows where to be force defenders to pay attention to him as his linemates move the puck around which opens up space for his teammates.  He's not a serious threat to score anymore but if I remember correctly, Loui was never really a "1-shot" player was mostly dangerous close to the nets due to how good his hands were.  He's obviously lost a lot of that touch, but he still shows that he knows where he needs to be and is still dangerous enough near the net that D can't just leave him space.

Obviously the Canucks need to figure out what to do with his contract due to their cap issues, but he's not otherwise a player that hurts the team.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Loui knows where to be on D and in the O-zone, he knows where to be force defenders to pay attention to him as his linemates move the puck around which opens up space for his teammates.  He's not a serious threat to score anymore but if I remember correctly, Loui was never really a "1-shot" player was mostly dangerous close to the nets due to how good his hands were.  He's obviously lost a lot of that touch, but he still shows that he knows where he needs to be and is still dangerous enough near the net that D can't just leave him space.

Obviously the Canucks need to figure out what to do with his contract due to their cap issues, but he's not otherwise a player that hurts the team.

thats it exactly. Its good to see more fans recognizing that vs. the endless moaning we've got over his deal. 

It would be nice if Jim can find a way to move him this offseason, and Loui is making a strong case for still being a good player, this stuff gets noticed 10x more in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

thats it exactly. Its good to see more fans recognizing that vs. the endless moaning we've got over his deal. 

It would be nice if Jim can find a way to move him this offseason, and Loui is making a strong case for still being a good player, this stuff gets noticed 10x more in the playoffs. 

Yeah, given the cap situation it would be ideal if we rid of him but right now he's playing good enough to stick in the lineup.

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah, given the cap situation it would be ideal if we rid of him but right now he's playing good enough to stick in the lineup.

he's pretty much earning about 1/2 his deal. So its not all dead cap space at least. I do think he's movable to a team like Ottawa with the right prospect pieces thrown in but we'll see. 

17 hours ago, Robert Long said:

he's pretty much earning about 1/2 his deal. So its not all dead cap space at least. I do think he's movable to a team like Ottawa with the right prospect pieces thrown in but we'll see. 

Isn't his contract front heavy?  I think Vancouver already paid him most of his $36 million.

14 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

Isn't his contract front heavy?  I think Vancouver already paid him most of his $36 million.

its very front heavy. For the last two seasons, its 12 mil AAV with 5 mil in real payout. Should be a dream for an owner like Melnyk, or a rebuilding team like Detroit. 

It just occurred to me as well, that Aquilini himself may want that too :lol:

Edited by Robert Long