The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Well because they think we should be targeting younger players but we went out and got a player who is already 31 years old.  It's no secret that a players production starts to slow down when a he reaches the age of 30.  

Yeah but Benning and Linden have been saying all along that they want to surround youth with experience. That's what they're doing, so I don't see the issue. Eriksson has proven chemistry with the Sedins, and he's really good at cycling, which suits our team overall. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Well because they think we should be targeting younger players but we went out and got a player who is already 31 years old.  It's no secret that a players production starts to slow down when a he reaches the age of 30.  

some players can be productive through their 30's....i believe his contract is structured so he gets less in his last 2 years...i could be wrong...i applaud the move...when the sedans retire, he will still be able to teach the new core how pro's play the game...

• Upvote 2

On 2016-07-24 at 10:38 PM, NaveJoseph said:

Eriksson was considered by some the most underrated player in the league in his Dallas days; and he just scored 30 goals, the second most he's had in a season (behind 36 in 2008-09). He could be a big boon for us. 

Don't know what TSN was thinking when they were like "what are the Canucks doing?" after we got Loui. 

TSN was thinking what they are always thinking: "let's make ourselves look good by making the Canucks look bad."  I don't think that their "thinking" goes much beyond that. GCG!

27 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah I'm just explaining why everybody thinks Canuck management is crazy going after older players, I hope Lui can be one of those productive players late in to his 30's.  And I understand they have said they want to surround our youth with experienced vets and push for a playoff spot but do they really want to do that?  Or is this just pressure from management to make the playoffs?  We will never know, at least not anytime soon.

I just hope this "hybrid rebuild" works so we can laugh in everybody's face and I hope the Toronto's and Edmonton's of the world are still struggling for years and years to come with their teams full of teenagers.  

if you look at his contract...it says the first 2 years, he has a nmc....the 3rd and 4th year, he has a ntc and in the final 2 years, he has a modified ntc...last 2 years he gets paid 4 mil...they have outs from the contract if they feel they want to move him...cudo's to JB

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2016 at 0:43 PM, smithers joe said:

some players can be productive through their 30's....i believe his contract is structured so he gets less in his last 2 years...i could be wrong...i applaud the move...when the sedans retire, he will still be able to teach the new core how pro's play the game...

I'm with you on that one. I can't wait for the day when I see nothing but sport coupes and SUVs on the road.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2016 at 3:51 PM, smithers joe said:

if you look at his contract...it says the first 2 years, he has a nmc....the 3rd and 4th year, he has a ntc and in the final 2 years, he has a modified ntc...last 2 years he gets paid 4 mil...they have outs from the contract if they feel they want to move him...cudo's to JB

I don't care if his last two seasons he gets paid six million dollars or four million pesos.. He'll still be a 6 million dollar cap every year for the entire contract. That's all that matters as a fan. 

1 hour ago, TimberWolf said:

I don't care if his last two seasons he gets paid six million dollars or four million pesos.. He'll still be a 6 million dollar cap every year for the entire contract. That's all that matters as a fan. 

Really? As a fan I feel that the only thing that really matters is how useful he is to the team. In various ways. Including his tradeability, which is affected by NMC/NTC, his cap hit and his actual salary.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Really? As a fan I feel that the only thing that really matters is how useful he is to the team. In various ways. Including his tradeability, which is affected by NMC/NTC, his cap hit and his actual salary.

Really?  As a fan I consider contract immovability, length and cap-hit as part of a player's usefulness.  I'm excited to see Eriksson play, I really like him, and I don't begrudge him for the contract, but to suggest it has any chance of being dealt, (sorry Joe but it doesn't) is bordering on delusional.  It was too long, with too many NMC/NTC.  Trading Eriksson in the last two years with a limited NTC and 6mil cap-hit for a 35yo plus player is not having any "outs", and JB deserves no Kudos for that contract. He can get his Kudos elsewhere.

70678928.jpg

Edited by Raymond Luxury Yacht
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

Really?  As a fan I consider contract immovability, length and cap-hit as part of a player's usefulness.  I'm excited to see Eriksson play, I really like him, and I don't begrudge him for the contract, but to suggest it has any chance of being dealt, (sorry Joe but it doesn't) is bordering on delusional.  It was too long, with too many NMC/NTC.  Trading Eriksson in the last two years with a limited NTC and 6mil cap-hit for a 35yo plus player is not having any "outs", and JB deserves no Kudos for that contract. He can get his Kudos elsewhere.

70678928.jpg

I was going to say something similar.

Look how well the limited NTC worked with Vrbata

The only viable trade destination a 36 YO Erikson has with a $6 hit and a $4 salery is a cap strapped non-playoff team.

Pretty sure it won't be on his list.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

70678928.jpg

I don't think Benning is looking for Kudos from "fans" like you. He is building a team to be better, he is not turning it into garbage no matter how much you and the other armchair GMs would like him to. Or are you suggesting that a player of Eriksson's quality could be signed for a lesser contract? If so, I would suggest that you are the one who is delusional.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I don't think Benning is looking for Kudos from "fans" like you. He is building a team to be better, he is not turning it into garbage no matter how much you and the other armchair GMs would like him to. Or are you suggesting that a player of Eriksson's quality could be signed for a lesser contract? If so, I would suggest that you are the one who is delusional.

Maybe the plan is on the back end of Errikson's contract he's playing a shutdown- PK role?  Sure he will be over paid, but we should have younger guys in their bridge contracts balancing the cap out.  Boeser? 

7 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

"Fans" like me.  Nice.  You sure told me.  I'm a "fans" that have supported the team in every incarnation for the last 39 years.  Buying merch and tickets, and getting emotional about players, coaches and managers.  I'm fairly certain the team likes fans in general, you, me, joe, timberwolf and all the others who support the team.  I'm not going to pull punches and put on knee pads when I see moves that I don't agree with.  JB is a Canuck, he is not the Canucks....I love the Canucks.

I think Eriksson could have been signed for the same term and dollars without the last 2 years of a limited NTC.  I don't think that makes me delusional.  It was a steep price to try and win before the Sedin window closes.  It very well may work, I hope it does, and I will cheer my arse off for Eriksson regardless.  He's a great player.

• Upvote 2

When the Sedins are UFAs, Eriksson will have 3yrs left on his contract.  Sedins will likely sign for 3 more years.  They've already stated that they don't mind being in a support role on the team.

2nd or 3rd line...  Sedins  Eriksson

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

When the Sedins are UFAs, Eriksson will have 3yrs left on his contract.  Sedins will likely sign for 3 more years.  They've already stated that they don't mind being in a support role on the team.

That's how I'm looking at it. Which is why I don't mind the term in the Eriksson deal. 

12 hours ago, higgyfan said:

How realistic is that? The Twins will be 37 this September. You want to resign them at 40 for another 3 years? IMHO if they are not 2nd line players within 2 seasons then Benning and Desjardin likely has not done a good enough job acquiring talent and developing youth. I cannot see the Twins finishing their careers as 3rd liners. Henrik is not good enough in the FO circle for starters.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Could those three play a checking role, while still popping some goals?

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎01 at 9:14 AM, StealthNuck said:

Regular Season:

Season Team GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FOW%
Career - 725 212 292 504 59 146 54 121 9 16 31 9 1,528 13.9 34.4
2006-2007 DAL 59 6 13 19 -3 18 2 5 0 0 0 0 78 7.7 44.44
2007-2008 DAL 69 14 17 31 5 28 4 6 0 0 0 0 120 11.7 15.38
2008-2009 DAL 82 36 27 63 14 14 7 12 1 1 4 1 178 20.2 18.18
2009-2010 DAL 82 29 42 71 -4 26 6 12 2 3 4 0 214 13.6 36.36
2010-2011 DAL 79 27 46 73 10 8 10 25 1 3 6 2 179 15.1 25
2011-2012 DAL 82 26 45 71 18 12 5 12 2 3 3 2 187 13.9 43.75
2012-2013 DAL 48 12 17 29 -9 8 2 10 1 1 3 1 104 11.5 26.47
2013-2014 BOS 61 10 27 37 14 6 2 11 0 1 2 0 115 8.7 0
2014-2015 BOS 81 22 25 47 1 14 6 11 0 1 4 2 169 13 33.33
2015-2016 BOS 82 30 33 63 13 12 10 17 2 3 5 1 184 16.3 57.14

Playoffs.

Season Team GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FOW%
Career - 34 6 8 14 2 12 2 3 0 0 0 0 62 9.7 60
2006-2007 DAL 4 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 0 0
2007-2008 DAL 18 4 4 8 1 8 1 1 0 0 0 0 31 12.9 50
2013-2014 BOS 12 2 3 5 1 4 1 2 0 0 0 0 24 8.3 66.67

Looks awesome!!!! here is hoping that he and the Sedins can develop some good chemistry and do some damage.

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

How realistic is that? The Twins will be 37 this September. You want to resign them at 40 for another 3 years? IMHO if they are not 2nd line players within 2 seasons then Benning and Desjardin likely has not done a good enough job acquiring talent and developing youth. I cannot see the Twins finishing their careers as 3rd liners. Henrik is not good enough in the FO circle for starters.

36 in September and their contracts run out in the spring of their 38 year.   So maybe they just resign for a couple of years.  I just don't see them walking away in 2 years unless their game really goes sideways.  Henrik had an injury to his hand last season, which severely effected his FO %.

On Friday, July 01, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Brad Marchand said:

Even if he doesn't spend all his time with the Sedins, he'll likely be a better fit for Horvat than Vrbata was, offensively and defensively.

Vrby was phenomenal one year with Bo... They both had bad years defensively last season. The blame shouldn't be put on either imo.