The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

It was a mistake signing him, He’s been a disappointment to say the least. 

Sounds like most of Jim Benning ufa signings, better sign more. 

the ufa refool will continue. 

Really hope he gets more ex bruins they’ve all planned out so well.

(Including himself).

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Berglund's situation is quite different though.  He had some mental health issues I believe and needed time to step away from the game to deal with them.  Best of luck to the guy.  He's only 30, so I hope he can still continue his NHL career if he wants to.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Berglund's situation is quite different though.  He had some mental health issues I believe and needed time to step away from the game to deal with them.  Best of luck to the guy.  He's only 30, so I hope he can still continue his NHL career if he wants to.

And who's to say Loui's not dealing with 'mental health issues'? As I noted before I doubt the past few years of poor performance, dwindling ice time/role and fan/media pressure and vitriol have been easy on him or his family.

@mll noted that Sat Shah was discussing how hard it's been on his family in fact.

Anyway, I'm not declaring it a certainty. But it certainly is a possibility. As I said last page, I'm sure the organization will first attempt a trade. But failing that....

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Exactly. That is why I asked when an NHL play EVER walked away from their MILLIONS of dollars without having a mental health issue or being an addict. Berglund does not count imo.

Intimating Loui has mental health problems is somewhat disgusting. Do things go right for you everyday aGent? No? Me neither. Are you a mental case because of it?

I'm not. I, and millions like me, deal with life everyday. Loui seems like a solid guy and intimating he has mental health because his hockey hasn't been great is stupid. 

Anyway, I am done with the topic. We will see what happens lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Exactly. That is why I asked when an NHL play EVER walked away from their MILLIONS of dollars without having a mental health issue or being an addict. Berglund does not count imo.

Intimating Loui has mental health problems is somewhat disgusting. Do things go right for you everyday aGent? No? Me neither. Are you a mental case because of it?

I'm not. I, and millions like me, deal with life everyday. Loui seems like a solid guy and intimating he has mental health because his hockey hasn't been great is stupid. 

Anyway, I am done with the topic. We will see what happens lol.

Mental health can be a wide and varying thing. Nobody's saying the guy should be in a padded room.

You ever worked a job where seemingly nothing was going right, you were being demoted and sat down with the boss to discuss 'options' and thousands of people constantly remind you and your family how crap you've been?

Didn't think so.

Pretty sure that's going to have an effect on your psyche and family life and could certainly end up leading to unwanted stress and depression AKA 'mental health' issues (not dissimilar to Berglund).

I could easily see a guy with near $60m in career earnings walk away and simply enjoy his family if a trade can't be found. Or conversely, as I originally said, he could always try to recoup some of that 'lost' couple years of cash by signing elsewhere (either NHL or Europe).

Edited by aGENT
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Mental health is something that has gained a lot of traction and awareness over the past decade or so, and yet we've barely scratched the surface. It is very possible that Eriksson is being affected by his contract, his play, fan criticism, self-criticism, family pressures, etc. It may be fair to say that all of the previously mentioned factors are taking a toll on his overall mental health. I would not suggest he has a condition or ailment, like say Lehner or Berglund, but mental health affects everybody. Case in point, my partner suffers from depression, anxiety, and borderline personality disorder, and yet I am the one seeing a therapist once a week because I feel like I'm taking all the weight of her conditions on my shoulders.

Back to Eriksson... Today, he's slated to start on the first line with Horvat and Goldy after being healthy scratched for the first time in a LONG time. I'm gunning for the guy to do well, not necessarily for the team or the fans, but for himself. He hasn't lived up to his contract, but he hasn't exactly Clarkson'ed. His contract is essentially buy-out proof, but it's not untradeable, unlike Alzner's. I'm the kind of Canuck fan that will always root for the boys. It doesn't absolve them of criticism from me (I've had my share of outrage against Pouliot and Granny at times during the season), but I'll always support them. Hoping he ends the year strong!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, therodigy said:

Back to Eriksson... Today, he's slated to start on the first line with Horvat and Goldy

Wasn't aware Travis shared Av's sense of humor.

But, if its not form or laziness and Loui truly is ill, then this spotlight role isn't going to help him any.

Suddenly, I feel very sorry for his wife and kids.

Hoping for a happy outcome for him tonight, for once.

• Wat 1

I wonder what the cap implications would be if he retired after getting his bonus money this year.

Not sure if he is a guy that wants to move back to Sweden at the end of his career, but walking away and getting to go home, vs. only $3 million per year in salary might not be inconceivable.

• Wat 1

3 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

Wasn't aware Travis shared Av's sense of humor.

But, if its not form or laziness and Loui truly is ill, then this spotlight role isn't going to help him any.

Suddenly, I feel very sorry for his wife and kids.

Hoping for a happy outcome for him tonight, for once.

Are you just making stuff up?

If not post some proof Loui is ill.  Are you basing your rumor off something some other poster pulled out of his arse?

Give me a break.  :picard:

8 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If not post some proof Loui is ill.  Are you basing your rumor off something some other poster pulled out of his arse?

Here's a break for you, read the posts above mine.

What do you see when you watch him play?

Its no rumor, just an opinion based on what the poster's eyes tell him.

From his arse or not, he's entitled to it.

By the way, do you think I'm his doctor and have access to Loui's prescriptions?

6 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

Here's a break for you, read the posts above mine.

What do you see when you watch him play?

Its no rumor, just an opinion based on what the poster's eyes tell him.

From his arse or not, he's entitled to it.

By the way, do you think I'm his doctor and have access to Loui's prescriptions?

No you are not Loui's doctor.

The other poster just made stuff up from what he sees on the internet and NO he is not Louis doctor but states maybe Loui has mental health issues.

Then you state maybe Loui really is ill.  Real good diagnosis there pal.  :picard:

All that does is spread a rumor about made up crap. Why do it?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No you are not Loui's doctor.

The other poster just made stuff up from what he sees on the internet and NO he is not Louis doctor but states maybe Loui has mental health issues.

Then you state maybe Loui really is ill.  Real good diagnosis there pal.  :picard:

All that does is spread a rumor about made up crap. Why do it?

I'm not your pal, chief.

And you didn't have an answer to my question on what you see?

Even a doctor only offers you his opinion.

Poster got one, I got one, you don't.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Loui is not ill; he’s simply getting old.  He might look ill, because of his play, but it’s just the natural process of ageing.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

I'm not your pal, chief.

And you didn't have an answer to my question on what you see?

Even a doctor only offers you his opinion.

Poster got one, I got one, you don't.

I'm not your chief, homie.

I gave you my opinion already. Quit making crap up like Loui is sick and starting rumors boyo. His hockey skills have diminished.  Ooohhhh...big stretch there.  Haha.  Or maybe you can tell us if you think he has Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva.

Edit:  I changed my mind. From now on you will refer to me as "Chief".    Thank you.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2016 at 10:22 AM, mpt said:

Looking forward to this signing.  He plays a style that could be productive at 36

On 7/1/2016 at 10:14 AM, PlanB said:

This is the winger the twins have deserved for a long time. 

Welcome to Vancouver and the West Coast Loui.  

On 7/1/2016 at 10:07 AM, Fanuck said:

First EG, then Juolevi, now Eriksson - pieces are falling into place and looking up.

On 7/1/2016 at 10:00 AM, Trebreh said:

Im so happy we got Eriksson, he's arguably the most skilled forward in the market. The Ladd and Lucic deals are risky for hose teams. Loui will still be an effective player witu or without the Twins.

On 7/1/2016 at 9:39 AM, Derp... said:

Honestly this guy could help take Horvat to the next level.

On 7/1/2016 at 9:32 AM, Brad Marchand said:

Even if he doesn't spend all his time with the Sedins, he'll likely be a better fit for Horvat than Vrbata was, offensively and defensively.

On 7/1/2016 at 9:32 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ferraro seems to really like him. Says he's more than just offence, kills penalties, etc. Sounds like a good player even when the Sedins hang them up. 

On 7/1/2016 at 9:29 AM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Good signing. Best player to play with the Sedins. Welcome to the team Loui!

just a few off page 1, man was CDC, all Canuck fans and even Ferraro wrong about this absolute FAILURE of a huge mega buyout proof contract given out by GM JB.

if we cant trade him this off season, 1 JB should be let go of GM duties, many POOR contracts have been moved, some worse than Eriksson's. 2. just waive him day 1 of training camp and let him ride the AHL bus like Wade Redden

• Upvote 1

Would've much rather seen Dahlen be given some games earlier this year, or Big Mac to end the season while sitting this guy out for precautionary reasons...1 game benched next he is on Bo's wing...ummm ya thats rewarding a player for putting in a solid effort. How does that show younger players hard work pays off when your highest paid bum gets gifted that spot?

Either way good riddance to Loui, he needs to go to a small market team where he can carve out 40-50pts quietly, not 25pts in our hockey crazed market

Poor FA signings: Eriksson, Gagner, Schaller

Edited by Canuckster86
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

just a few off page 1, man was CDC, all Canuck fans and even Ferraro wrong about this absolute FAILURE of a huge mega buyout proof contract given out by GM JB.

if we cant trade him this off season, 1 JB should be let go of GM duties, many POOR contracts have been moved, some worse than Eriksson's. 2. just waive him day 1 of training camp and let him ride the AHL bus like Wade Redden

Sometimes what's on paper doesn't translate into what the player actually is. 

Despite how uninspired his play is. He's still 8th overall on the team. 

It's just a lot more was expected of him. Before he was signed he got 30 goals and 63 points. 

If anything it's a cautionary tale now of not singing free agents to anything longer than 4 years, and be careful with UFA's at age 29-30. 

I thought Toronto was nuts to sign Marleau. It worked great in year 1. But he's starting to slow down, and he only has 1 more year left. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Would've much rather seen Dahlen be given some games earlier this year, or Big Mac to end the season while sitting this guy out for precautionary reasons...1 game benched next he is on Bo's wing...ummm ya thats rewarding a player for putting in a solid effort. How does that show younger players hard work pays off when your highest paid bum gets gifted that spot?

Either way good riddance to Loui, he needs to go to a small market team where he can carve out 40-50pts quietly, not 25pts in our hockey crazed market

Poor FA signings: Eriksson, Gagner, Schaller

Why would Dahlen be gifted a spot over Eriksson?