The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

depends how they use Looch. If he can just stake to the net, he could be a great distraction that allows more space for EP and Brock. 

He'd still be skating through the neutral zone while EP and Boes are attempting to set up. By the time he even gets to the net, play's just as likely heading back the other way and he's lumbering his way back, behind the play again.

NO.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

The one thing people are forgetting, is that if all we needed was a big tough body to play with EP and BB, we'd have found him by now. 
To be the 'ideal bodyguard' for those two, you need someone who has the hands, is fast, can play a very heavy game and is willing to drop the gloves.  The first two criterions are way more important ( having hands and being fast) because doing so keeps the line productive. Lucic is slow as molasses right now - he makes the Sedins in their last year look like Sergei Samsonov in terms of speed. 

With Lucic on the line, if EP + BB get the puck in their own zone, they can skate it up the ice, enter the opposition blue-line, light a cigarette and smoke it halfway down, before Lucic catches up to them. 

Getting Lucic to 'protect' EP and BB is like trying to get an elephant to protect gazelles. Not gonna work. 

Basically said as much in the Eriksson thread.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I wouldn't want Lucic anywhere near EP's line personally. Lumbering around, miles behind the play. If he can't play with freaking McDavid and contribute, why does anyone thinking he'd mesh with EP?

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He'd still be skating through the neutral zone while EP and Boes are attempting to set up. By the time he even gets to the net, play's just as likely heading back the other way and he's lumbering his way back, behind the play again.

NO.

If (and that's a big IF) we end up trading for Lucic ++ he's a bottom 6 player/13th F. I think we'd end up sitting him a lot games vs speedier opposition and only playing him against bigger teams or with injuries. He's not getting anywhere near the EP/Boes line and doesn't remotely solve that top 6, size/grit issue many seem to think he does.

Hence why we'd need some serious sweetener to even consider it.

Edited by aGENT

18 minutes ago, Borvat said:

He likely would score 40 points over a full season and so would most any other decent player put in the same position.  If the Canuck's want to take the next step they need someone who can put up more than 40 points in a top six role. 

The question shouldn't be how do they make Loui fit into the top six?  The question should be does Loui make this team good enough to take the next step by playing in a top six role? Plus there is potentially 3 more years of this same question.

It just makes sense to move on to me.  

Sure but that may not be an option. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sure but that may not be an option. 

Then play him as they have where his play merits.  Bottom six / PK / maybe second unit PP as a net presence he has decent hands close in.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Basically said as much in the Eriksson thread.

If (and that's a big IF) we end up trading for Lucic ++ he's a bottom 6 player/13th F. I think we'd end up sitting him a lot games vs speedier opposition and only playing him against bigger teams or with injuries. He's not getting anywhere near the EP/Boes line and doesn't remotely solve that top 6, size/grit issue many seem to think he does.

Hence why we'd need some serious sweetener to even consider it.

well i don't see how Looch fits in the bottom six, given that he doesn't kill penalties. At least with LE, he kills penalties and isn't the slowest man in the league. At this point, Lucic is pretty much a very very expensive Tom Sestito, where all he can contribute to the team, is with his fists on someone's face. 

Its out of question to get him to play with EP - playing him with EP is the best way to chase EP out of town. Looch can't even play with McDavid. Granted, McDavid is faster than EP but he plays a very clean, crisp, NS-EW fast hockey. EP may be slower than McDavid, but he is way more creative so far- and Looch doesn't have the creativity or the speed to play with EP. 

19 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Then play him as they have where his play merits.  Bottom six / PK / maybe second unit PP as a net presence he has decent hands close in.

he's not a rookie working his way up the lines. He's had a lot of success in top 6 roles. And we don't have a better option for Bo's RW on the team yet. 

5 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

well i don't see how Looch fits in the bottom six, given that he doesn't kill penalties. At least with LE, he kills penalties and isn't the slowest man in the league. At this point, Lucic is pretty much a very very expensive Tom Sestito, where all he can contribute to the team, is with his fists on someone's face. 

Its out of question to get him to play with EP - playing him with EP is the best way to chase EP out of town. Looch can't even play with McDavid. Granted, McDavid is faster than EP but he plays a very clean, crisp, NS-EW fast hockey. EP may be slower than McDavid, but he is way more creative so far- and Looch doesn't have the creativity or the speed to play with EP. 

I hear ya. It's very much about the potential sweetener IMO. He'd basically be an expensive 12-13th forward/face puncher until we can use a compliance buyout on him.

I think he'd be 'ok' against heavier teams in the bottom 6 but like I said, we'd end up sitting him a lot IMO. That, the lack of PK'ing, the extra year etc is exactly why the sweetener needs to be pretty damned sweet to even consider it.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he's not a rookie working his way up the lines. He's had a lot of success in top 6 roles. And we don't have a better option for Bo's RW on the team yet. 

This summer likely changes that.

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

But... what if they play Loui and EP together at the worlds and they have great chemistry? 

Loui and the twins were nuts at worlds and couldn't recreate it, so I wouldn't put too much into it. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Has nothing to do with age or tenure.  Plenty of vets and older players play bottom six especially later in their careers if they want to stay in the league after they have lost a step or they aren't as productive.  If Loui is the best option this team is not improving enough next year.

It's about what's best for the team and whether it helps the team to take the next step.  Not about Loui.

Edited by Borvat
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Has nothing to do with age or tenure.  Plenty of vets and older players play bottom six especially later in their careers if they want to stay in the league after they have lost a step or they aren't as productive.  If Loui is the best option this team is not improving enough next year.

It's about what's best for the team and whether it helps the team to take the next step.  Not about Loui.

but its also about the staff you have. Its easy to say put someone better in, but that might not be possible depending on how free agency and/or trades goes. Loui imo is still a decent fit on the top 6, his time there has been better than a lot of people make it out to be. If you check the stats he was the Sedins best partner, and showed well with Bo and Pearson too. There's no need to stick him in the bottom 6 where we already have more than enough players. 

Lucic is not a slug.  He is actually quite fast still in a straight line.  He's not quick or agile.  However, he certainly could keep up with EP and Boeser.  I think Milan said at the end of this season he was going to work on get a bit lighter, so he can have longer shifts before he gets tired.  

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but its also about the staff you have. Its easy to say put someone better in, but that might not be possible depending on how free agency and/or trades goes. Loui imo is still a decent fit on the top 6, his time there has been better than a lot of people make it out to be. If you check the stats he was the Sedins best partner, and showed well with Bo and Pearson too. There's no need to stick him in the bottom 6 where we already have more than enough players. 

What about giving someone an opportunity who is a younger player still maturing like he would have received in his days as a younger player. Heck, give Virtanen the full year in that role instead bet he gets you the 15 - 20 goals and 40 points.  He's 10 years younger and still developing. 

As I said, if he is playing top six next year this team is not improving enough.   Nothing against Eriksson I just think if possible he should be moved if he isn't needed for a bottom six / PK role. 

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Borvat said:

What about giving someone an opportunity who is a younger player still maturing like he would have received in his days as a younger player. Heck, give Virtanen the full year in that role instead bet he gets you the 15 - 20 goals and 40 points.  He's 10 years younger and still developing. 

As I said, if he is playing top six next year this team is not improving enough.   Nothing against Eriksson I just think if possible he should be moved if he isn't needed for a bottom six / PK role. 

yup a trade makes sense, I'm just looking at the scenario where he's still here come next season.

Jake... I hate to say it but I don't think he's got the hockey sense for a top line role, or at least he hasn't demonstrated it enough. I understand what you're saying but I just dont think we have anyone on the roster who's better on Bo's right side at this moment.

42 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup a trade makes sense, I'm just looking at the scenario where he's still here come next season.

Jake... I hate to say it but I don't think he's got the hockey sense for a top line role, or at least he hasn't demonstrated it enough. I understand what you're saying but I just dont think we have anyone on the roster who's better on Bo's right side at this moment.

The stats don't put Eriksson ahead of Virtanen.  Comparable ice time.  Virtanen is bigger, faster and younger.  Just my opinion and I'm not saying Virtanen is the definite answer, but maybe..... Give him and Bo a playmaking LW and who knows.

image.thumb.png.fd86b61e125298c95dbf91db2df72ce9.png

image.thumb.png.62dc4f7250ed51ba1126fd554f50dc06.png

image.thumb.png.a099f9a266a9e5391684873c7778a3f5.png

Edited by Borvat

6 minutes ago, Borvat said:

The stats don't put Eriksson ahead of Virtanen.  Comparable ice time.  Virtanen is bigger, faster and younger.  Just my opinion and I'm not saying Virtanen is the definite answer, but maybe..... 

image.thumb.png.fd86b61e125298c95dbf91db2df72ce9.png

image.thumb.png.62dc4f7250ed51ba1126fd554f50dc06.png

image.thumb.png.a099f9a266a9e5391684873c7778a3f5.png

interesting comparison... Jakes speed would certainly be an asset with Bo and Pearson. 

• Cheers 1