The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

interesting comparison... Jakes speed would certainly be an asset with Bo and Pearson. 

I wouldn't be upset if this lineup started the year.  Just a thought:

UFA - Pettersson - Boeser

*Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Pearson - Gaudette - Leivo

Roussel - Beagle - MacEwen

*If he is 100% healthy.  If not preferably an upgrade via trade - Goldobin + +

Extras: Motte and Granlund because he is a swiss army knife.  Goldobin is a tough one kinda hate giving up on him but...... 

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

depends how they use Looch. If he can just stake to the net, he could be a great distraction that allows more space for EP and Brock. 

Wouldn't he be offside though if he stayed by the net all the time while his linemates skated from end to end? ;-)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I wouldn't be upset if this lineup started the year.  Just a thought:

UFA - Pettersson - Boeser

*Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Pearson - Gaudette - Leivo

Roussel - Beagle - MacEwen

*If he is 100% healthy.  If not preferably an upgrade via trade - Goldobin + +

Extras: Motte and Granlund because he is a swiss army knife.  Goldobin is a tough one kinda hate giving up on him but...... 

Sadly Roussel's on the IR to start for a couple months IIRC but otherwise not far off from what I have penciled in as my preferred starting lineup:

UFA, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Pearson

Leivo, Gaudette, Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Granlund/MacEwan

Spooner/Schaller as 13th

*Roussel on IR (one of Granlund/Motte  comes out when he get healthy and we waive Spooner/Schaller).

MacEwan I wonder if he's better served playing lots of minutes in Utica and available as call up vs being in and out of the lineup. I do like his added size though! His camp will likely make that decision one way or the other ;) And if so, somebody is expendable!

That's not a contending lineup but it sure looks like it could be fighting for a playoff spot.

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sadly Roussel's on the IR to start for a couple months IIRC but otherwise not far off from what I have penciled in as my preferred starting lineup:

UFA, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer, Horvat, Pearson

Leivo, Gaudette, Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Granlund/MacEwan

Spooner/Schaller as 13th

*Roussel on IR (one of Granlund/Motte  comes out when he get healthy and we waive Spooner/Schaller).

MacEwan I wonder if he's better served playing lots of minutes in Utica and available as call up vs being in and out of the lineup. I do like his added size though! His camp will likely make that decision one way or the other ;) And if so, somebody is expendable!

That's not a contending lineup but it sure looks like it could be fighting for a playoff spot.

That would also work and MacEwen could likely use at least another 1/2 year in Utica maybe more depending on injuries on the Big club. 

I would change up Virtanen and Pearson at least for a 10 game period just to see where Jake is at.  Throw him a bone if he comes into camp in shape and ready to prove himself.  Maybe he takes the reigns and runs with it.  If not I would try and trade for a legit top six winger to play with Horvat. 

There are too many bottom six options and players already.

Edited by Borvat
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Borvat said:

That would also work and MacEwen could likely use at least another 1/2 year in Utica maybe more depending on injuries on the Big club. 

I would change up Virtanen and Pearson at least for a 10 game period just to see where Jake is at.  Throw him a bone if he comes into camp in shape and ready to prove himself.  Maybe he takes the reigns and runs with it.  If not I would try and trade for a legit top six winger.  There are too many bottom six options and players already.

I don't really want to break up Bo and Pearson until/if they slump or somebody gets hurt. By all means Virt can have a shot then.

I'm quite curious to see who Benning targets this summer for a top 6 spot, there's SO many options!

Don't think we should be trading for a top 6 winger unless we can do something like Baer + Goldobin  (+?) for 'X' but there's not likely many teams out there that do that. Besides, before to long, I hope to see those filled with our own prospects (and above UFA).

Just now, aGENT said:

I don't really want to break up Bo and Pearson until/if they slump or somebody gets hurt. By all means Virt can have a shot then.

I'm quite curious to see who Benning targets this summer for a top 6 spot, there's SO many options!

Don't think we should be trading for a top 6 winger unless we can do something like Baer + Goldobin  (+?) for 'X' but there's not likely many teams out there that do that. Besides, before to long, I hope to see those filled with our own prospects (and above UFA).

My concern is there are no clear cut "legitimate" top six wingers currently in the system. It may be several years before anyone in the system (currently or yet to be drafted) materializes.  And if they don't..... Tick Tock

I say go out and get one.  The UFA winger I think should be top line capable.  The winger traded for only needs to be top six and could be LW or RW.    Hopefully a Canucks package could be put together that isn't overly costly to find one. 

20 minutes ago, Borvat said:

My concern is there are no clear cut "legitimate" top six wingers currently in the system. It may be several years before anyone in the system (currently or yet to be drafted) materializes.  And if they don't..... Tick Tock

I say go out and get one.  The UFA winger I think should be top line capable.  The winger traded for only needs to be top six and could be LW or RW.    Hopefully a Canucks package could be put together that isn't overly costly to find one. 

Well yeah, we're still rebuilding. We'll almost certainly be adding one this draft. 

And whichever UFA we're almost certainly adding this July and assuming Pearson can maintain something like his historic norms you've got a pretty decent (if not world beating) top 6. One good enough to hold the fort at least and give them a fighting chance until more kids arrive.

With a solid 10th OA forward developing to eventually supplant one of the fringe guys as well as dark horses like Madden or Lind and more drafts to come (as well as increasingly tradeable assets), I'm not terribly concerned about rushing in to anything.

By all means if something falls in Benning's lap, great...

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well yeah, we're still rebuilding. We'll almost certainly be adding one this draft. 

And whichever UFA we're almost certainly adding this July and assuming Pearson can maintain something like his historic norms you've got a pretty decent (if not world beating) top 6. One good enough to hold the fort at least and give them a fighting chance until more kids arrive.

With a solid 10th OA forward developing to eventually supplant one of the fringe guys as well as dark horses like Madden or Lind and more drafts to come (as well as increasingly tradeable assets), I'm not terribly concerned about rushing in to anything.

By all means if something falls in Benning's lap, great...

Rush no but I don't see Horvat and Pearson alone making a "top half of the league" second line together without a legit top six winger playing along side. 

I also don't see a legit top six winger who we are currently "waiting" on in the system.   I'm not as sure as you any of the kids on their way are that player - yet.

It's already coming into Benning's 6th season with this team.  Time flies.  Anyhoo we see it differently I don't like to wait and see what I already see.  It's all good.

Edited by Borvat

2 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Rush no but I don't see Horvat and Pearson alone making a "top half of the league" second line together without a legit top six winger playing along side. 

I also don't see a legit top six winger who we are currently "waiting" on in the system.   I'm not as sure as you any of the kids on their way are that player - yet.

It's already coming into Benning's 6th season with this team.  Time flies.

Well I'd hope that our 10th OA eventually replaces our 2019 UFA as 1LW and pushes said UFA to 2LW with Horvat *crosses fingers*. And yes, ideally we find another guy to eventually replace Pearson in 2-3 years (Madden, Lind or otherwise). But that's a good couple years off, of drafting, development and trades before being a 'problem'. And we're bound to have a few more 10-20 picks to help fill it out ;)

And who knows, maybe we see something like a retained Sutter +/- for Puljujarvi or something :lol: Which could certainly speed things up. 

There's going to be a LOT of change the next couple seasons IMO, people get too fixated on what's here RIGHT NOW. It's not static, it will change. A lot.

And yeah, 5 years...funny how long it takes to rebuild an ENTIRE organization at both the NHL and prospect levels when you're starting from basically nothing + Horvat and Hutton and very little in saleable assets :lol:

22 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2019/05/02/loui-eriksson-om-tuffa-tiden-i-vancouver-jag-och-tranaren-gar-inte-riktigt-hundra/

Eriksson about his role in the Canucks and how ge and Green doesn’t work 100% together. 

Haven’t tried to Google translate it but usually works out ok

Crazy to read this. Loui started out with EP. Ended with Horvat. And was given top 6 role's inbetween (and last year too).

Blaming the opportunity is insane, they are paying him to be a top 6 FWD, he's been given extensive opportunity to be a top 6 FWD every year that he's been here. These are excuses. Translation isn't perfect so maybe these aren't translated correctly, but blaming the coach is nuts to me.

He's just not good enough to be the player we've hoped for. And if he felt he could be in a different role, I'm sure he's had the opportunity to tell the coaching staff.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Crazy to read this. Loui started out with EP. Ended with Horvat. And was given top 6 role's inbetween (and last year too).

Blaming the opportunity is insane, they are paying him to be a top 6 FWD, he's been given extensive opportunity to be a top 6 FWD every year that he's been here. These are excuses. Translation isn't perfect so maybe these aren't translated correctly, but blaming the coach is nuts to me.

He's just not good enough to be the player we've hoped for. And if he felt he could be in a different role, I'm sure he's had the opportunity to tell the coaching staff.

Look at Petey, when Petey should be out scoring coach Green told him to hit more. Petey listened to the coach and got a problem with motivation/stamina. Loui listen to coach Green also...  Why don't you understand that Green put him in a defensive role?  If Green don't have any better options he should use players lika Loui in a better way. But if Green had done so Vancouver had got more points and maybe got into play off wich Green/Benning didn't want to. 

Tank mode isn't pretty and players get messed up in the process. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Look at Petey, when Petey should be out scoring coach Green told him to hit more. Petey listened to the coach and got a problem with motivation/stamina. Loui listen to coach Green also...  Why don't you understand that Green put him in a defensive role?  If Green don't have any better options he should use players lika Loui in a better way. But if Green had done so Vancouver had got more points and maybe got into play off wich Green/Benning didn't want to. 

Tank mode isn't pretty and players get messed up in the process. 

That was a really rough read. Its greens fault louie hasnt produced much for the canucks? Because of tank mode?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Loui is complaining about his role?  Trade his a$$ for Lucic.  I’d rather have Big Milan out there with Petey. Loui had three hits the entire season.  How in the hell can a guy getting his opportunity only have three hits?  He’s soft and slow.  At least Milan can play with and edge.  

2 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

That was a really rough read. Its greens fault louie hasnt produced much for the canucks? Because of tank mode?

So you don't think it's a rough read the piece from Loui himself? It's not a rookie talking... 

I really believe Green did all the strange decisions with a will to loose. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Loui is complaining about his role?  Trade his a$$ for Lucic.  I’d rather have Big Milan out there with Petey. Loui had three hits the entire season.  How in the hell can a guy getting his opportunity only have three hits?  He’s soft and slow.  At least Milan can play with and edge.  

6d1b1b584d2d69b2324cffa03b7be4d6.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So you don't think it's a rough read the piece from Loui himself? It's not a rookie talking... 

I really believe Green did all the strange decisions with a will to loose. 

I don't agree that Green was tanking on purpose, but I do think Loui is correct and there may not be much trust there in terms of putting him back in a top 6 role. 

I've only read the translation so I don't know what Loui really said in Swedish so maybe the meaning has been skewed a bit? 

Personally I blame the previous coach Willie D. I remember that he gave Loui and the Sedins a 10 game look before breaking that up and trying other things. Destroyed the chemistry right out of the gate imo and Willie was the one to drop Loui to the 4th line whereas no previous coach had done that. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Bad signing. Hindsight wasn't needed. 

Jim shouldn’t be allowed to sign UFAs let Judd Bracket he seems to actually be good at his job unlike Jim. 

Just another  unhappy current canuck or prospect. Nothing new under the Jimmie “it is what it is era.”

itll be i interesting to see who our GM will be next summer when Jim’s gone.

Although it doesn’t appear anyone of quality will work for the Aquallini’s. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Eriksson: 'The coach and I don’t really get on 100 per cent'

Vancouver Canucks forward Loui Eriksson admitted to Sweden's HockeySverigethat there is friction in his relationship with head coach Travis Green, and cited that as a reason for his diminished offensive output with the team.

Eriksson has scored a total of 31 goals in three seasons since joining the Canucks after scoring 30 with the Boston Bruins in 2015-16. He has spent the past two seasons under Green, and averaged just 14:04 of ice time last season - his lowest mark since the 2007-08 season with the Dallas Stars.

“The coach and I don’t really get on 100 per cent,” Eriksson told the Swedish outlet, as translated by the Vancouver Province. “It is difficult when I do not get the same trust that I received from all the other coaches I had during my career. Of course it is tough on that front.”

Eriksson was healthy for the full season for the first time since joining the Canucks this year, but sat out one game in March as a healthy scratch.

He finished with 11 goals and 29 points in 81 games with a minus-11 rating. A six-time 20-goal scorer with two 30-goal seasons under his belt, Eriksson said he's been placed in a more defensive role under Green, limiting his ability to produce offensively. 

"Last two seasons I have played less and in a defensive role," Eriksson said, via Google Translate. "I also cannot make the same points as [I did] before if I do not play so much in the roles I had before. In this way, it is not really possible to compare, but I must do my best and fight on."

"Of course it is boring for that part," he added of the defensive role with decreased ice time.

The 33-year-old has three seasons remaining on six-year contract he signed with the Canucks as a free agent in 2016. Eriksson, who carries a team-high $6 million cap hit, said he's ignoring speculation that he could be bought out this off-season. 

"People can say what they want and it can spread quite quickly," Eriksson said. "As it looks now, I will play in Vancouver next season as well, but you never know what can happen. We'll see what happens after the summer."

Eriksson will play for Sweden at the world hockey championship next week for the first time since 2015.

https://www.tsn.ca/eriksson-the-coach-and-i-don-t-really-get-on-100-per-cent-1.1300143

Front page of TSN. Thanks Louie <_<

• Haha 1