The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Originally from Brantford, Ontario, Doug Jarvis was previously an assistant coach in Bahhston.

He has also won 6 Stanley Cups, 4 as a player and 2 as a coach. He currently holds the NHL's ironman streak, at 964 games.

• Upvote 1

He's a beauty.

His chemistry with the twins came as advertised. It was definitely a different game with the Tre Kronor line out there- vintage sedinery within seconds. What caught me off guard and surprised/impressed me the most was Loui's backchecking. He slipped so easily into defensive position, and held it sometimes even before our defenseman got the memo. I didn't know much about Loui before he was acquired this summer but I'm definitely happy we got him- even at that ridiculous term.

The Sedins need a big strong two-way winger like Eriksson and tonight was another perfect example of that. Hansen and Burrows have been small, weak net front presences in comparison to Eriksson. They're perimeter players who cycle around the boards just like the twins (Burrows being the exception about 4 years ago, but last 2 years he's been playing mostly at the perimeter), but the difference in the twins games from the 1st and 3rd period tonight against Edmonton was huge. With Hansen all 3 are stuck cycling with nowhere to go, when Eriksson comes in he goes straight to the front of the net or the slot where he can score goals and not get hung up with the Sedins passing.

This guy is going to give the twins another couple of years of first line productivity, and his versatility means he can probably play with Sutter (or Horvat which would be a great line including Baertschi).

21 hours ago, ThrustyPrusty89 said:

He's a beauty.

His chemistry with the twins came as advertised. It was definitely a different game with the Tre Kronor line out there- vintage sedinery within seconds. What caught me off guard and surprised/impressed me the most was Loui's backchecking. He slipped so easily into defensive position, and held it sometimes even before our defenseman got the memo. I didn't know much about Loui before he was acquired this summer but I'm definitely happy we got him- even at that ridiculous term.

His d-side play in Dallas was exceptional. Didn't see him in Boston that much.

21 hours ago, Derp... said:

Stoked to see this guy play for the next 6 years honestly. He's probably going to be our best two way player for 3 of them at least

I keep saying this guy is just like Hossa, who still plays a very effective game at 37.  Between Lucic and Errikson there is no choice.  Our guy is BY FAR the better player.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who has found Eriksson's play so far in the regular season...somewhat...underwhelming?

I don't mean to be negative, and I'm sure things will come around...but does his play in the past two and a half games feel like it's missing something?

Perhaps just some rust as he's getting used to our team and systems? Or am I right off my rocker, and I'm just seeing him do little things wrong when, in fact, he's doing all those little things right?

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Am I the only one who has found Eriksson's play so far in the regular season...somewhat...underwhelming?

I don't mean to be negative, and I'm sure things will come around...but does his play in the past two and a half games feel like it's missing something?

Perhaps just some rust as he's getting used to our team and systems? Or am I right off my rocker, and I'm just seeing him do little things wrong when, in fact, he's doing all those little things right?

Yeah he hasn't been all star great but the thing is that he is not making any mistakes... other than bobbling the puck from time to time or have the puck skip over his stick, which are minor and happens to everyone.

He is playing the right way. Back checking, going to the net, supporting the play, covering for defenders, etc.

He is just not able to capitalize on his chances but that will come as time goes. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Upvote 1

In Ian MaIntyre's column today he suggested Erikkson wasn't a shooter, more of a passer and good in front of the net where he scores most of his goals.

I Haven't watched him much until he came here and from what I've seen this seems to be true.

My question then is why the hell they are they using him with the Sedins, 2 other passers. That makes no sense at all, especially on the pp.

Their pp right now is 3 passers somebody who has to be inside the circle to score and Larsen who is still trying to hit the net.

You've got to have a shooter on your top scoring line. That may have worked on the big ice, but not in the nhl, Its a different type of game. Rabata was the perfect winger for the Sedins and it worked great the first year but for some reason they decided he would be moved off their line and they used Hansen, which worked great too, he not only can shoot but he's got speed, something the Sedins lack.

I'm not saying Erikkson with the Sedins will be a complete disaster I'm sure if they stay together they'll eventually score a few but I think his assets would be better served with 2 different wingers.I'd like to see Lui with Bo and Baert, move Hansen up to the Sedins for now, then when Rodin comes back try him with the twins,I think that would be a good line.If Rodin plays well with the twins put Hansen back with Sutter or preferably Bo. 

w

1 minute ago, mrreindeer said:

Bo is an everything guy, he can shoot, he can setup, and he can backcheck, and forecheck

Possibly another John Toews. He's a winner that makes everybody better.

He's heavier, and stronger than Toews.  Now we need a Patrick Kane:(

15 hours ago, mrreindeer said:

In Ian MaIntyre's column today he suggested Erikkson wasn't a shooter, more of a passer and good in front of the net where he scores most of his goals.

I Haven't watched him much until he came here and from what I've seen this seems to be true.

My question then is why the hell they are they using him with the Sedins, 2 other passers. That makes no sense at all, especially on the pp.

Their pp right now is 3 passers somebody who has to be inside the circle to score and Larsen who is still trying to hit the net.

You've got to have a shooter on your top scoring line. That may have worked on the big ice, but not in the nhl, Its a different type of game. Rabata was the perfect winger for the Sedins and it worked great the first year but for some reason they decided he would be moved off their line and they used Hansen, which worked great too, he not only can shoot but he's got speed, something the Sedins lack.

I'm not saying Erikkson with the Sedins will be a complete disaster I'm sure if they stay together they'll eventually score a few but I think his assets would be better served with 2 different wingers.I'd like to see Lui with Bo and Baert, move Hansen up to the Sedins for now, then when Rodin comes back try him with the twins,I think that would be a good line.If Rodin plays well with the twins put Hansen back with Sutter or preferably Bo. 

w

For a player who is not a 'shooter' he scores a lot of goals in the NHL. I thought a lot of his game when he was in Dallas as a two way player. Great PKer. When he was traded to Boston he was almost drummed out of town as he had no production or will to play a physical game. As time went by he re-established his game. A little patience will help.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

For a player who is not a 'shooter' he scores a lot of goals in the NHL. I thought a lot of his game when he was in Dallas as a two way player. Great PKer. When he was traded to Boston he was almost drummed out of town as he had no production or will to play a physical game. As time went by he re-established his game. A little patience will help.

You misunderstood. I wasn't saying he can't score goals and I have no doubt he will start scoring soon. But a shooter is someone who can score goals from almost anywhere on the ice because of his shot and release. Overtime he develops the instinct to shoot first because thats his bread and butter. Like I said every top line and pp needs a guy like that. Erikkson doesn't have that ability but he gets his goals close to the net on rebounds and deflections.He's basically a clone of the sedins in the way they play, pass first. 

Its been proven in the past, the Sedin have more success with a shooter on their line instead of a passer type player. Anson carter, Vrbata, Hansen,even Burrows who had the most success with the twins, didn't have a great shot but a few years ago it was adequate and he always shot when he had a chance. He was also pretty fast.

• Upvote 2