The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yah you're way off on this. He isn't anything like Messier's laziness thats just ridiculous. If you check the stats you'd see he's been a solid defensive player and the Sedin's had their best possession numbers with him. So thats just not a correct assessment imo. He's not a bottom 6 player, and thats where we've put him, its as simple as that. 

I'm not off though.

The problem is, he *was* played as a top 6 player for the better part of last year, and the only net in which he could be counted on to score, on was ours.

The Sedins don't need help possessing the puck, they need help burying it. He was supposed to do that, and has not. He is not making any "top six" lines more effective by being there, and in essence, played himself from that role through soft play and lack of effort. So he's not playing well enough to be a top six forward, and he's not good enough at 'the role' to be a bottom six player.

I suppose the coming few weeks will tell the tale; are we a better team without Loui in the lineup? I believe we are.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, brownky said:

I'm not off though.

The problem is, he *was* played as a top 6 player for the better part of last year, and the only net in which he could be counted on to score, on was ours.

The Sedins don't need help possessing the puck, they need help burying it. He was supposed to do that, and has not. He is not making any "top six" lines more effective by being there, and in essence, played himself from that role through soft play and lack of effort. So he's not playing well enough to be a top six forward, and he's not good enough at 'the role' to be a bottom six player.

I suppose the coming few weeks will tell the tale; are we a better team without Loui in the lineup? I believe we are.

no see this is the problem, people aren't looking at how the guys actually been deployed. Most of time he was paired with bottom 6 guys (http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=503&games=2016-2017:R)

Check out the even strength lines and time. Anyone that watched how Loui has scored over the years knows he feeds off line mates that generate 2nd chances. Just look at his line mates last year and you can see why this is such a bad fit for him and us. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no see this is the problem, people aren't looking at how the guys actually been deployed. Most of time he was paired with bottom 6 guys (http://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?sent=go&players=503&games=2016-2017:R)

Check out the even strength lines and time. Anyone that watched how Loui has scored over the years knows he feeds off line mates that generate 2nd chances. Just look at his line mates last year and you can see why this is such a bad fit for him and us. 

Yep.  Not too many shooters on this team.  When he is healthy again, it would be interesting to see him on a line with Bo and Boeser.  Lots of secondary opportunities there, I would think. 

Good player bad contract and bad timing signing here. 

Don't want anyone to get injured.

hes not a messier, messier would have never got hurt putting out effort or driving the net. He might have hurt his back carrying his bags of money or injured laughing on his way to the bank.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I feel for the guy, its turning into a disaster here for him. You have to wonder if mutual termination is in the cards, it must suck for him to play here. 

No chance he walks away from $25m because his deployment has been erratic and confusing for a year and 4 games... due to inconsistent effort, lack of production, and a blender.

Hopefully he can return from injury and not appear to be completely disinterested. Start putting up the kind of numbers we expect of you, Louie. Earn the pay. 

I was surprised he drove the net so hard and got himself hurt, considering I don't think he's bothered to finish a check this year.

Oh, Loui, Loui, Loui! I was stoked when we acquired him.

We all figured he'd have been the answer for the twins.

We all figured he was gonna put up points instantly.

We wanted so, so bad for him to be the Anson Carter guy.

We wanted him to be the game breaking winger we've been needing.

So much hope for offensive contributions when we got him. That's still to be determined.

He does have other useful assets though. Good two way player, good shot, good hands. 

Gotta try to get the open spots and shoot more. That'll be the key to his success with us.

15 hours ago, combover said:

hes not a messier, messier would have never got hurt putting out effort or driving the net. He might have hurt his back carrying his bags of money or injured laughing on his way to the bank.

Last I checked, Loui didn't ask for #11 on his jersey.

There's HUGE difference between a player who is just overpaid (by alot mind you...) & that piece of manure (reason why I will never buy Lays chips because he used to do commercials for that company LOL).

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He went from playing with a perennial Selke finalist to playing with third/fourth liners. One's production will drop when that happens. 

Exactly this.

I don't think it's a coincidence that guys come into Vancouver have their offence drop right off. If it was one player, maybe, but it's almost every UFA signed since our 2011 decline.

Now let's see what happens to Gagner (who looked like his career had turned a corner), Vanek (who was still good for 40+ points) and of course former 30 goal scoring Eriksson.

They go from playing on high octane offences with extremely skilled players to a bunch of average NHL forwards and very poor puck moving defencemen.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looks like Loui will be on LTIR and out 4-6 weeks. Time to call up Goldobin.

So about the same time as Edler?  So 5 games in and we're down 2 players for 4-6 weeks, seems par for the course for Vancouver. 

I doubt they call up the Goblin(yeah I still call him that), unless they plan on rotating him with Virtanen.  If it were me I would play Virt, Goblin, and Brett Bossy at will because they are the wave of the future unlike Gagne and Vanek. 

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Edmonton preseason game the last one we had before the season started.

Man what a stark contrast again in that particular game, and what we need to see Loui return into that form of player.  He was hard on the forecheck, he was skating hard and creating turnovers, he was responsible with the puck, and he was making silky smooth plays that lead to him and Granlund being one of the best forwards of the night.  They were dynamite together on the PK, as they got in shooting lanes, were creating offense during the PK too.  I think ultimately Loui still hasn't been used with the right linemates yet.

I know they use Granny with Sutts and Dorse, but Loui flourished when he played with Granlund, as both seem to have some untapped chemistry.

I know you want to balance with some good scoring on that checking line, but I think you want some offense out of Granlund and Eriksson, and reuniting them together might make them recharged and create another secondary scoring line, who is just as equally responsible defensively.

I would bring out Burmistrov and bring Granlund back up on centre and see how it fairs

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Granlund-Vanek

Daniel-Henrik-Virtanen

Gagner/Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I went to the Edmonton preseason game the last one we had before the season started.

Man what a stark contrast again in that particular game, and what we need to see Loui return into that form of player.  He was hard on the forecheck, he was skating hard and creating turnovers, he was responsible with the puck, and he was making silky smooth plays that lead to him and Granlund being one of the best forwards of the night.  They were dynamite together on the PK, as they got in shooting lanes, were creating offense during the PK too.  I think ultimately Loui still hasn't been used with the right linemates yet.

I know they use Granny with Sutts and Dorse, but Loui flourished when he played with Granlund, as both seem to have some untapped chemistry.

I know you want to balance with some good scoring on that checking line, but I think you want some offense out of Granlund and Eriksson, and reuniting them together might make them recharged and create another secondary scoring line, who is just as equally responsible defensively.

I would bring out Burmistrov and bring Granlund back up on centre and see how it fairs

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Granlund-Vanek

Daniel-Henrik-Virtanen

Gagner/Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett

I'd like nothing more than to see Loui do well and score some goals. I think Gagner should be sat over Burmistrov though.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Sutter-Dorsett

Granlund-Gaunce-Virtanen

Daniel-Henrik-Vanek

Burmistrov

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd like nothing more than to see Loui do well and score some goals. I think Gagner should be sat over Burmistrov though.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Sutter-Dorsett

Granlund-Gaunce-Virtanen

Daniel-Henrik-Vanek

Burmistrov

Gagner has looked good in the last two games IMO, it'd be odd to sit him now.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Sutter-Dorsett

Granlund-Gaunce-Virtanen

Daniel-Henrik-Vanek

Burmistrov

I think Gagner can hear the patter of feet out in the hallway. He has amped up his physical play the last few games to please his coach. If Gagner isn't scoring what role does he play on this team. He isn't really a checker like Sutter. Oilers-Philly-Columbus-Ariz, now Vancouver. As I mentioned on another thread. There are players who get by in the regular season but fade in CUP play. Unfortunately I put Gagner in that group. 

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think Gagner can hear the patter of feet out in the hallway. He has amped up his physical play the last few games to please his coach. If Gagner isn't scoring what role does he play on this team. He isn't really a checker like Sutter. Oilers-Philly-Columbus-Ariz, now Vancouver. As I mentioned on another thread. There are players who get by in the regular season but fade in CUP play. Unfortunately I put Gagner in that group. 

Yeah. Giving him 3 years was not the best plan. Not sure why he wasn't offered a one year deal, based on his history of essentially being a hockey hobo.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah. Giving him 3 years was not the best plan. Not sure why he wasn't offered a one year deal, based on his history of essentially being a hockey hobo.

Man, I'd love to get a gig as a hockey hobo! 

I'm not sure why Burmistrov keeps on getting chances. 

the guy doesn't seem to offer anything offensively, and he's defensively, ok. 

if anyone needs to sit, it's him. 

Virtanen has done really well with the limited minutes he keeps on getting. He deserves to stay in the line up. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 11:12 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Eriksson-Sutter-Dorsett

Granlund-Gaunce-Virtanen

Daniel-Henrik-Vanek

Burmistrov

Kinda hard when Sam Gagner has played better the last few games and plays special teams.  Easy to take out Burmistrov because he doesn't play any other role besides 5v5 centre.  He hasn't generated enough individually to showcase that he deserves to be in the mix when Eriksson comes back.

Burmi seems to bobble the puck a lot.  Can't tell if he is just gripping the stick hard or just lacks the soft hands he was once touted to have.

• Like 1