The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hammer to Dallas...

springer

3 minutes ago, springer said:

2 years for $3.75 per.

Dammit! We shoulda signed him for that!!!

:-(

Its not about the money heh Dan? Its all about the Family at least we thought ! See he hog tied us good ridence ....

It's an insult that a player who signed for a lot less than his worth to come to his hometown team isn't even given a contract offer when it's time to re-sign him. And we're not talking about some fourth line scrub here either.

Jim Benning and Trevor Linden have lost a big fan. Trevor should know about loyalty so why treat great Defensemen like Hammer like that? Absolutely insulting. 

2 minutes ago, Blue_Jays_Canucks said:

He would have signed for a lot less to stay in Vancouver. But Trader Jim' the tamperer didn't want him back.

Yes.  He didn't want him back.  It's a hockey decision.  His play is not good enough.  Benning is not supposed to love the players in the way that you do.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Yes.  He didn't want him back.  It's a hockey decision.  His play is not good enough.  Benning is not supposed to love the players in the way that you do.

If it wasn't for Hutton showing his potential, Dan would be back

15 minutes ago, enterin said:

Its not about the money heh Dan? Its all about the Family at least we thought ! See he hog tied us good ridence ....

What ARE you talking about? All Hamhuis ever wanted was to play for the Canucks. How many guys in the history of this franchise turned down better money to come to Vancouver? He loved it here and was a loyal foot soldier whose return from a devastating facial injury demonstrated his commitment to his team and teammates. The fact remains that he was sort of led to believe he would receive a contract offer from Vancouver, but an offer was not forthcoming. So what do you expect him to do? Retire? He took a pay cut to go to Dallas, but he's out of the rain for two years. I am grateful for the service he gave to the Canucks and wish him every success in Dallas.

1 minute ago, mpt said:

If it wasn't for Hutton showing his potential, Dan would be back

How many times have you heard Benning refer to containing the cycle down low against the heavy teams?  They didn't make even the slightest motion to re-sign him.  It blows my mind how hard this is for people to accept.  You may be right about Hutton, but all I've heard from management are general comments that implicate Dan.

6 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

How many times have you heard Benning refer to containing the cycle down low against the heavy teams?  They didn't make even the slightest motion to re-sign him.  It blows my mind how hard this is for people to accept.  You may be right about Hutton, but all I've heard from management are general comments that implicate Dan.

They didn't make the slightest motion because with Edler Hutton (emerging) and Sbisa, where is Dan going to fit.  Like I said if it wasn't for Hutton, Dan would be back

they talked to him for a long time but nothing came from it.  this guy screwed us over by refusing a trade (to dallas?) and now just walks away from us.  if he loved it so much here and he's so concerned about family and church...what's with signing with dallas?   don't want to uproot the family?  liar.  no good churches in van any more?  what have you done in the community?  i read about a lot of guys doing wonderful things but i don't recall seeing your name mentioned.  you cost us a LOT of money and a Lot of options for the future.  seems it's not about loyalty or anything noble like that.  rot, you 2-faced scumbag. 

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

They didn't make the slightest motion because with Edler Hutton (emerging) and Sbisa, where is Dan going to fit.  Like I said if it wasn't for Hutton, Dan would be back

That's your speculation.  Mine is that they anxiously awaited the day that he was long gone.  Moot point is moot.

1 minute ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

That's your speculation.  Mine is that they anxiously awaited the day that he was long gone.  Moot point is moot.

Then why would they keep telling the media and Hamhuis all the way that an offer was coming?

Dan Hamhuis said that he was treated fairly and honestly and had nothing but good things to say about how he was treated while here and through the process of moving forward for both him and the Canucks.

I think Dallas is a good fit for him. Stay safe Dan.

3 minutes ago, bushdog said:

they talked to him for a long time but nothing came from it.  this guy screwed us over by refusing a trade (to dallas?) and now just walks away from us.  if he loved it so much here and he's so concerned about family and church...what's with signing with dallas?   don't want to uproot the family?  liar.  no good churches in van any more?  what have you done in the community?  i read about a lot of guys doing wonderful things but i don't recall seeing your name mentioned.  you cost us a LOT of money and a Lot of options for the future.  seems it's not about loyalty or anything noble like that.  rot, you 2-faced scumbag. 

Well i agree Hamhuis did our club no favours at the TDL thats over the top.

Hammer played hard for the Canucks and i wish him and his family the best.

I don't understand.. I would say hammer IS a top 4 D. So we just passed on a "hard to trade for" defense men whom was willing to resign in Van.

Obviously he has value if a quality team like Dallas is willing to scoop him up. Our loss. We just lost a great player and we really don't have any sure bets on who will replace the huge minutes that Dan contributed each night when in the roster. I thought we were improving on D this summer and felt Gudbranson was a step forward. I feel this sets us back, but may provide others with an opportunity to make the NHL. That being said I feel this is a risky move when we could have had a pretty solid D core (albeit too many left handers). Sad to see Hammer go what a soldier he has been for us. All the best to him. 

Archived