The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign D Chad Billins [1 year x $600k]

Al-mo

I may alone here but could be my favourite Canucks signing of the day so far.  (That's nothing against Eriksson.  He's a fine player.  I just generally oppose giving guys in the 30's long term deals.  I don't mind the choice of Eriksson if the Canucks had to give too long a term to a 30-something.)

The Utica Comets had a poor lineup last year.  Comet's management ended up going out and signing ECHL players just to fill in a lineup.  Somehow Green took a weak lineup that sometimes had as many as 9 players on PTOs and limped them into the playoffs.

This year wasn't looking good either.  There are not very many good prospects the Canucks will have in Utica and they were missing top-rank veterans.

This defenceman is small but looks like he can score.  I'd like to see a bigger d-man for the Comets, but am encouraged that Benning is making moves to help the Comets in this signing and that of Chaput.

It wouldn't be at all surprising to see a couple of more signings of players who can help the Comets.  Obviously, those players also turn out to be depth callups when necessary.

16 minutes ago, tyhee said:

I may alone here but could be my favourite Canucks signing of the day so far.  (That's nothing against Eriksson.  He's a fine player.  I just generally oppose giving guys in the 30's long term deals.  I don't mind the choice of Eriksson if the Canucks had to give too long a term to a 30-something.)

The Utica Comets had a poor lineup last year.  Comet's management ended up going out and signing ECHL players just to fill in a lineup.  Somehow Green took a weak lineup that sometimes had as many as 9 players on PTOs and limped them into the playoffs.

This year wasn't looking good either.  There are not very many good prospects the Canucks will have in Utica and they were missing top-rank veterans.

This defenceman is small but looks like he can score.  I'd like to see a bigger d-man for the Comets, but am encouraged that Benning is making moves to help the Comets in this signing and that of Chaput.

It wouldn't be at all surprising to see a couple of more signings of players who can help the Comets.  Obviously, those players also turn out to be depth callups when necessary.

I would like to see the Canucks make a move for RD Dalton Thrower, 2nd round pick. kid is getting no opportunity, and buried in the Habs minor system.

Get this gunner to Utica and see him with the big club next season.

He would be a perfect disciple for T.Green.

• b3. unpinned this topic

Hold off on the Billins hate. He's like Bobby Sanguinetti minus the 1st round selection. 29 points in his last year of College. Then won a cup with Grand Rapids first year pro, posting 37 points and 14 more in playoffs. Next year in Abbotsford got 42 points. So we know he can perform in the farm.Went to KHL for a year and Swedish league another, but lost the offensive touch a bit. Last year he rediscovered it with 31 points in 50 games and a plus 27. Forsling got 21. Kids gonna be good. FACK. 

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I would like to see the Canucks make a move for RD Dalton Thrower, 2nd round pick. kid is getting no opportunity, and buried in the Habs minor system.

Get this gunner to Utica and see him with the big club next season.

He would be a perfect disciple for T.Green.

Somehow I don't Marc will be taking Jim's calls for a while.  All the drama, yet it turns out that Honest Jim, well was being honest and Marc wasn't... Dalton Thrower would be a great pick up, but unless the whole 'tampering' drama was just a smoke screen, then I don't see things happening.  

12 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

heh heh

oh dear

heh

But, oh no! There's no room for Linden Vey, he has that "Talent" thing going on, just not out team identity.

Vey is likely seeking a 1-way contact 

• 3 weeks later...

Billins was actually listed at 5'10.5" and 192lbs (179cm and 87kg) on a Swedish hockey site last year: http://www.svenskafans.com/hockeyzon/lhc/truppen/Chad-Billins_71613.aspx

Still not very tall but that sounds a lot better than 5'10" and 180lbs (as seen on the older listings). 

Will be interesting to see what Billins looks like at camp. He put up solid numbers in the AHL at 22/33 years old (as well as during a brief NHL stint). I believe he was even an AHL All Star in his rookie year? And his European totals (SHL and KHL) are good.

Might even be a dark horse for the 7/8 D spots, and the future roster, depending on how our other depth guys perform. 

Although I'd probably prefer to stash him in Utica for depth and then maybe look at a call-up during the season (if he plays well for the Comets). He might actually be a good guy to waive early on during camp rather than risk him getting noticed by other teams. Would also give him more time to settle in with the Comets where he's likely to play a big role.

Archived