The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign D Chad Billins [1 year x $600k]

Al-mo

Decent AHL signing. Perhaps this was one of the things the Canucks management told Travis Green: come back to us, and we'll stock Utica so that you'll end up with another great season; if things don't work out with Willie this year, you'll take over, and if things do work out with Willie, with that great AHL record, you will still be in great shape for available NHL head coaching gigs after the season.

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Hairy; What do you really think Desjardin can do? If he squeaks this roster into the playoffs that is almost equal to a CUP! :) 

We know at some point that Willie will be sacrificed no matter how good or bad he is. He is working for a rebuilding team and the coach is always easy fodder for management to serve up to the disappointed fans. It gives them another couple of years to finish their rebuild. That is what I expect will happen.

The way Benning is building Utica depth there should be a serious Calder run in the making. Not only is that a positive for the players there but the youth in Van who are sent back down come into a positive environment. I'm think Virtanen and Gaunce, maybe Pedan.

You know I had high expectations for Coach D but I think he may have been just a transition hire...clearly we were not the same team.Our vets are aging out so many rookies to manage. But it was the Calgary series where I saw coaching deficiencies and last year our pp went unchanged when it clearly needed something. Just his overall perspective seemed a step behind...and the small things like our penchant for too many men calls at inopportune times.I just think he's not being heard or is  hesitating to be forthright about his style. And the overtime line matches...etc etc. I mean Dallas Eakins had trouble and he looked promising as well..I am thinking now to be more conservative in choosing a bench boss (ie not a fan of a rookie coach).

On 25/07/2016 at 5:16 AM, alfstonker said:

Green tried to get away and nobody wanted him. 

He should be prepared to keep his head down and actually WIN SOMETHING.

I repeat for the times without number, Willie had a fantastic rookie year in the NHL after WINNING the Calder Cup. This was followed by a year of mind numbing injuries to key players which forced him to ice 8 rookies 4 of which had not even played in the AHL.

It's a pity your kind of attitude didn't guide the minds of employers of many of the people on here who constantly harp on about Desjardins being replaced by Green. Maybe then you would have some respect for the guy's position.

As for Trevor giving Green any kind of assurances I think that assumes he is as unprofessional and disrespectful as many on CDC. My reason for saying this is Linden is a guy who knows people AND hockey and he will appreciate Willies position and the hellish situation he has had to work through last season unlike some of the idiots on here.

I totally agree. I got to meet WIllie D at the development camp and had a chance to talk to him twice, once at the rink and once at the parking lot. Very nice guy and I wish nothing but success for him, can't believe how many people here wants him to be fired. 

Archived