The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vesey Still In Play

Don't forget that there is still a projected top 6 forward in the free agent mix.  Since the Sabres didn't lock-up Hobey Baker winner Jimmy Vesey to a contract today, it looks like he really is going to wait until August 15 so he can choose where he goes.  He'll be on a 2 year $950k AAV ELC contract to boot.

10 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Is Vesey as good as everyone makes him out to be? I mean, he was ranked as the 11th best player available.

That's what they are saying.  He came in second to Eichel last year for the Hobey Baker last year I believe, and then won it this year.

18 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He probably wants to play with Auston Matthews

Why would you say that?  If he was going to join a team to play with a player it would have been the Sabres.  He's a teammate with Eichel in a summer league and they practice during the off-season together.

I have a feeling that he's going to go to free agency in a month and a half.

4 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Would he want to play with McJesus?? 

Can never have enough forwards!! 

If he doesn't sign with the Sabres I think he will go to whichever team that he thinks that he will succeed best with.  He has 2 years on an ELC contract and after those 2 years are up, he'll be looking for a huge payday as an RFA.

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

If he doesn't sign with the Sabres I think he will go to whichever team that he thinks that he will succeed best with.  He has 2 years on an ELC contract and after those 2 years are up, he'll be looking for a huge payday as an RFA.

Then he should go to EDM. Its gonna be scary there

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

Then he should go to EDM. Its gonna be scary there

Problem is, with all of the forwards that they have there, will he slot in their top 6?  If not, then he won't get the payday that he's going to be looking for in a couple of years.

9 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Mcdavid, Eberle, Pool party, Vesey, RNH (Prob gone) Lucic 

If they replace RNH with a good top 6 forward then Vesey would most likely end up middle 6 for a season or two.  Not ideal for his next contract.

48 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Or he'll just go to Toronto to be with daddy

11 minutes ago, MayRayDown said:

Possibly.  Like I said in another thread, this is where I have the Top 3 teams ranked in order:

1.  Toronto

2.  Boston

3.  Sabres

I definitely think that the Canucks could take a run at him though.  They have room in their Top 6 and to have a shot at playing on a line with the Sedins is one heck of an enticement.

17 hours ago, MayRayDown said:

His dad is actually a scout for Toronto in the Boston area. I think the Bruins are the favourites here. He grew up there and was also a Bruins fans growing up. 

If he doesn't sign in Buffalo, my prediction is Boston.

1 minute ago, Toews said:

His dad is actually a scout for Toronto in the Boston area. I think the Bruins are the favourites here. He grew up there and was also a Bruins fans growing up. 

If he doesn't sign in Buffalo, my prediction is Boston.

Doesn't his brother (or another relative) work for the Leafs too?

Just now, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Doesn't his brother (or another relative) work for the Leafs too?

Brother is Nolan Vesey late round pick in 2014(?) by the Leafs. Doesn't have much of a future in the NHL. I personally doubt he will give much consideration to that but you never know. Maybe getting his brother a contract with the minor league team might mean something to Jimmy.

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

Brother is Nolan Vesey late round pick in 2014(?) by the Leafs. Doesn't have much of a future in the NHL. I personally doubt he will give much consideration to that but you never know. Maybe getting his brother a contract with the minor league team might mean something to Jimmy.

Ah, thought I remembered reading another family member besides his father had a job with the Leafs too.

Archived