The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vesey Still In Play

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Ah, thought I remembered reading another family member besides his father had a job with the Leafs too.

I always laughed when Leafs fans were convinced he was coming to Toronto. The father doesn't even live in Toronto and the brother doesn't have a shot at making the team. 

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

I always laughed when Leafs fans were convinced he was coming to Toronto. The father doesn't even live in Toronto and the brother doesn't have a shot at making the team. 

No kidding. Give this  a read.

Obviously, there's a lot of why on the Leafs' side of things. The team has a clear intent to become the mecca of sustainable long-term success, and there's no easier way to do that in the salary cap-driven era than to find cheap, young assets and develop them.

The Leafs and "mecca of sustainable long-term success" don't belong in the same sentence.

Also, this. Seems like a bush-league move on Vesey's part.

“Yes, I’m going to sign with the Nashville Predators.”

That is what Jimmy Vesey told Nashville’s Paul Fenton not once or twice but three times. To his face. Just weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

No kidding. Give this  a read.

The Leafs and "mecca of sustainable long-term success" don't belong in the same sentence.

Also, this. Seems like a bush-league move on Vesey's part.

You should listen to the interview Poile gave after it came out that he wasn't signing in Nashville. Poile said he tried to have a conversation with Vesey after his agent said that they wouldn't be signing but he could never get in touch with him. Personally I would have at least had a phone conversation or sat down face to face with an organisation that drafted and put considerable resources in my development. 

Maybe Vesey is not a bad kid but he sure handed this very poorly and the adults around him should have advised him better.

5 minutes ago, Toews said:

You should listen to the interview Poile gave after it came out that he wasn't signing in Nashville. Poile said he tried to have a conversation with Vesey after his agent said that they wouldn't be signing but he could never get in touch with him. Personally I would have at least had a phone conversation or sat down face to face with an organisation that drafted and put considerable resources in my development. 

Maybe Vesey is not a bad kid but he sure handed this very poorly and the adults around him should have advised him better.

Geeze, talk about unprofessional. In the end they got a draft pick for his rights but he's worth more than the third round pick they got. That's a blow to an organization that could use his help up front.

At 22 (I believe) he's an adult himself too. His advisers (namely, his parents and/or agent) should have guided him a little better in this situation...unless their "guidance" all along was to leave the Preds for, presumably,  the Leafs or Bruins. 

If Jimmy Vesey were to sign with Toronto, would the league have to look into tampering since his dad works in the organization? I'm only asking as I would find this to be an interesting subject as you would have to expect that it would have been discussed at some point between family members. Pesonally, I wouldn't have an issue with it as it would only be natural to come up at some point. Does anyone know what the guidelines are to this? 

32 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

If Jimmy Vesey were to sign with Toronto, would the league have to look into tampering since his dad works in the organization? I'm only asking as I would find this to be an interesting subject as you would have to expect that it would have been discussed at some point between family members. Pesonally, I wouldn't have an issue with it as it would only be natural to come up at some point. Does anyone know what the guidelines are to this? 

Can't do anything about that. Mike Reilly's father is part of the Wild ownership I believe and it never stopped him from joining there. At the end of the day you can't possibly stop a father from discussing with his son about his future. 

15 minutes ago, Toews said:

Can't do anything about that. Mike Reilly's father is part of the Wild ownership I believe and it never stopped him from joining there. At the end of the day you can't possibly stop a father from discussing with his son about his future. 

That's what I thought. Forgot about Reilly. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

It's usually the adults around them screwing things up.  Look at that one kid whose parents stole millions of dollars from his contracts that he hadn't even earned yet.

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

My guess would be big market teams like the Rangers or Kings. 

But I think we should pitch to him. A one way contract probably.

The Rangers have come up as a possible 4th destination but I don't think LA has.  I'm a little disappointed because if the Sabres don't sign him, then I don't think that the Canucks will be in the running.  He told the Boston Globe that he'd like to stay in the Northeast.

On 01/07/2016 at 5:58 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Why would you say that?  If he was going to join a team to play with a player it would have been the Sabres.  He's a teammate with Eichel in a summer league and they practice during the off-season together.

I have a feeling that he's going to go to free agency in a month and a half.

He's going to a team he's been talking to for a year. Just happens to be the same team Auston mathews plays for.  Mark my words if you please. 

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

He's going to a team he's been talking to for a year. Just happens to be the same team Auston mathews plays for.  Mark my words if you please. 

I have them rated as his #2 choice so I wouldn't be surprised.  If he doesn't sign with the Sabres this week after his meeting with the Sabres brass, Murray will most likely try to trade his rights because there's no chance that he'll sign in Buffalo before August 15 in that case.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I have them rated as his #2 choice so I wouldn't be surprised.  If he doesn't sign with the Sabres this week after his meeting with the Sabres brass, Murray will most likely try to trade his rights because there's no chance that he'll sign in Buffalo before August 15 in that case.

Ever since they gifted his dad a job I had him penciled in to the leafs lineup. This is the way the leafs to business. 

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

Ever since they gifted his dad a job I had him penciled in to the leafs lineup. This is the way the leafs to business. 

The Leafs may be corrupt but I suppose the top guys aren't stupid.  Just the middle management who are directly responsible on a micro scale for the handling of the on-ice product.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Leafs may be corrupt but I suppose the top guys aren't stupid.  Just the middle management who are directly responsible on a micro scale for the handling of the on-ice product.

Definitely not stupid. They're maximizing assets left and right. I however don't think what they did in this specific deal is very ethical. Rules are rules and I don't believe they have broken any but what's worst benning saying that he is interested in stamkos or the leafs giving a job to an unqualified  father of a soon to be ufa. That is tampering in my eyes. 

Archived