The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We need a sniper

Pete M

Our top line just got older for a long time...

We need and always have needed secondary scoring...

We still need a true sniper on the second line...similar to Kessel on the Pens 3rd line (now that is scoring depth).

A team plays against the Canucks' top line and lets them play on the perimeter thereby shutting them down. 

Top line shut down...who is going to score?...we need speed, skill and a sniper on the 2nd line to compliment the top line.

I don't see the defence adding to the offence.

Right now...it sucks to be a Canuck fan.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

We still need a true sniper on the second line...similar to Kessel on the Pens 3rd line (now that is scoring depth).

A team plays against the Canucks' top line and lets them play on the perimeter thereby shutting them down. 

Top line shut down...who is going to score?...we need speed, skill and a sniper on the 2nd line to compliment the top line.

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

Yes we do.

So who? What are your suggestions? 

I will start it off for you.

Speiza for Yakapov. Dorsett for Yakapov. He might be worth a shot and he can shoot by the way.

They've got a lot of young talent up and coming over the next couple years.

And that young talent has some pretty good leadership to guide them.

All good from here on out as far as I'm concerned. Bigger, stronger defensive group, with a highly skilled offensive player probably a year away from playing. We got our sniper to play with the Sedins. Long term good goalie, with a very good back up set to join him in a year. And a fairly solid core group filling out the rest of the roster.

BTW...look at the teams that didn't make the playoffs this year. Five years worth of cup winners, two that didn't make the playoffs, and the other two time winner gone in the first round. Point being, life at the top is a relatively short gig in this league. We had our run, and we'll get there again.

This team is rebuilding. We need a lot more of everything. It'll be many years before the likes of Boeser and Juolevi are difference makers in the NHL. By then Sedins will have retired. Don't expect anything more than playoff bubble team for next 5 years. Continue to gather and develop prospects and hope we hit home run on a cpl of them. 

Desperately need a future 1C in the next draft.  Then need to develop him which will take 3 or 4 years after being drafted. 

Not sure signing Eriksson and improving to a 15th over all draft from 5th overall helps us towards getting that 1C but maybe we'll find a diamond in the ruff. 

Etem, D. Sedin, and Baertschi are all snipers on the LW 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line and even though Horvat, Sutter, Eriksson, and Hansen are all TWF, they can score. Virtanen is another sniper as well that could have a good season. We don't need another sniper.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Sucks for you maybe but I hear alot of happy fans to see us going in the right direction and not completely tearing it down. I agree we need a sniper and personally I think the one way is trade Edler or Tanev, they hold the greatest value and with what a solid 1st pairing D is worth on the market today we could easily trade for a good young sniper Please JB get er done

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

We can't get everything in one season. We need to address these issues over time. And I think JB is doing his best to insert promising players in every way possible to address some of the issues. 

1. UFA: With Eriksson, our first line has became solid for the next few season and addresses the problem of finding a linemate that can play with the Sedins.

Burr and Miller's salary are coming off next season (10 mil). I don't know if there are good UFAs available next season but even if we take into consideration raises to be given to Markstrom and Horvat (let's say each get about 2-3 mil raise), we might have some space left to sign a good player if one is available in the UFA market.

2. Draft:  Boeser, Juolevi, Demko, Tryamkin. 

- Boeser looks like he can be a top line player. Once he joins our team in two seasons, he will most likely start on the third line, allowing us to spread scoring.

- Juolevi will address the lack of PMD issue that we've had since Salo and Ehrhoff left. It will take about 2-3 season before Juolevi joins our line up but there is a plan to address this problem.

- Demko should be able to take over the back up role in two seasons.

- Tryamkin addresses this big issue of crease clearing defenceman.

3. Reclamation projects (trading for or our own): Baertschi, Rodin, Larsen, Etem

- Baertschi turned out well already and looks to improve on his 15 goals.

- Rodin is a SEL MVP. Worth a good look and offers some promise to be able to address that 2nd line sniper issue that you mentioned.

- Larsen is a PMD. If it works out, he gives us a RHD on the PP to play with the twins. At the very least, he can be a temporary fill in until Juolevi is ready. Come on, he can't be worse than Weber, can he?

- Etem provides skill, size, and speed on the wing. Not your prototypical sniper but he can be effective playing on the third line and chipping in offensively.

4. Trades: Gudbranson. Good on JB for drafting McCann. He was a centerpiece of this deal that helped us address the immediate issue. Gudbranson can eat up 20-25 minutes a game.

So you see, there is a plan to address these issues. Be patient my friend.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

I agree we do need a legitimate sniper and we shall have him next season. His name is Brock Boeser! 

Sutter is good for 20+ goals and Eriksson 25-30+ goals. That's already a lot more goals for us! Then you look at Horvat, JV, Baertschi who will all be more Nhl ready and experienced. We should see am improvement on all of their numbers next season. Hansen will ride his confidence from last season and likely play with Horvat which will help improve his game a lot. So I would say we will be good to go next season just need a bit of injury luck on our side that's the only thing that worries me tbh god damn injuries.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

This team is rebuilding. We need a lot more of everything. It'll be many years before the likes of Boeser and Juolevi are difference makers in the NHL. By then Sedins will have retired. Don't expect anything more than playoff bubble team for next 5 years. Continue to gather and develop prospects and hope we hit home run on a cpl of them. 

Desperately need a future 1C in the next draft.  Then need to develop him which will take 3 or 4 years after being drafted. 

Not sure signing Eriksson and improving to a 15th over all draft from 5th overall helps us towards getting that 1C but maybe we'll find a diamond in the ruff. 

Dylan Larkin was 15th overall...

Cam Barker was 3rd...

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I wonder what the going rate actually is for Yakupov in a trade.

After seeing the Hall trade, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up Yakupov for Sbisa, Bartkowski and a 3rd.

haha ya idk but i sure hope we at least inquire about him, his stock is so low it couldn't cost us too much hey?

yes that Hall trade is laughable. hey guys let's trade our ppg LW for a 20 point dman derr derrr

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

diamond in the rough is the saying 

Ruff isn't a word unless you're a dog

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I wonder what the going rate actually is for Yakupov in a trade.

After seeing the Hall trade, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave up Yakupov for Sbisa, Bartkowski and a 3rd.

That actually seems like too high a price in comparison now :o

Archived