The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The last piece - "a winger that has some grit and size to him, that can score." - via trade

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

Evander Kane would be the best and cheapest option right now.  Unless he is a mass murderer I don't see how he will be able to unsettle a dressing room full of leaders like the Sedins and Gudbranson.  He took on Petrovic and beat him 3 times but I am sure he had no intention of ever dropping them with Guds that game.  Trust me Guds will have a nice little talk with him and all will be real gud...

Maybe some home cooked meals will make him feel better.  Just make sure that the bouncers at the Roxy don't allow him in and we should be okay...

And we'd also get some swagged out Ek9 hats Vancouver style...

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

Evander Kane would be the best and cheapest option right now.  Unless he is a mass murderer I don't see how he will be able to unsettle a dressing room full of leaders like the Sedins and Gudbranson.  He took on Petrovic and beat him 3 times but I am sure he had no intention of ever dropping them with Guds that game.  Trust me Guds will have a nice little talk with him and all will be real gud...

Maybe some home cooked meals will make him feel better.  Just make sure that the bouncers at the Roxy don't allow him in and we should be okay...

Not comparing the two but didn't we just go through this kind of stuff with kassian?  Didn't seem to matter that we had the Sedins, Burrows, Bieksa, etc in the room then..  Not sure they want to go down that road again.

4 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Cause his play on the ice really isn't that great other than the 2011-12 and 12-13 seasons. Not to mention the apparent off-ice issues and his overwhelming ego.

This picture says it all:

fcc20780-b6f3-11e4-8a9b-61090ac450e8_fas

Byfuglien, by all accounts, is a nice guy- there's been complaints that he's too nice

As legendary as that photo is, the context is entirely light-hearted. Kane and Buff are just joking around. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/behind-that-viral-photo-of-dustin-byuglien-flipping-off-evander-kane-223223052.html

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

As legendary as that photo is, the context is entirely light-hearted. Kane and Buff are just joking around. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/behind-that-viral-photo-of-dustin-byuglien-flipping-off-evander-kane-223223052.html

Ah, dammit. I always figured it was around the time of the tracksuit/shower incident. Buff seems dead serious there :P

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

Could snide ring the reporter is an admitted jets fan, I say his interpretation is biased.  That is clearly Buff telling his teammate to "screw off".  

7 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Unfortunately it looks like Hartnell is a prime candidate as both teams are motivated. 

Who'll go the other way is the only question? 

He would fit in here quite well, could play with either Sutter or Horvat and we could get a significant return from CBJ as they need the cap room, either a pick or a prospect and perhaps the Torts 2nd being next year.

I know they want to develop Jake next season in the minors, but could he be a solution?

Skill-set wise the components (size, speed, skill, some strength) are there, and with the year of experience which he gained last season, I think he fits the bill, especially if J.B. and co. want to go young and have them develop through practical experience.  After his weak showing in the Juniors I'm not sure how much he could gain from beating kids, when he can already out-skate and level some NHL players and score on NHL goalies.  If the GM thinks there's value to be added through that I'd be okay with it, 

I know benning mentioned he was looking at trade options, but I really don't know what assets we have that we can get rid of to acquire such a player.  I think we need our young assets for the future.

To me, a trade like Hartnell makes sense, as we can aquire him for a reasonable price as we would be taking on his contract.

Do it, jb.

If we are going to get Landeskog, you need to offer a real package. Don't think for a second that there aren't 25+ other teams inquiring about him and are willing to make packages of their own. He's a special type of player, a rare type of player, an even rarer type of leader, and only 24. Tanev, Gaunce, and a 2nd is not going to be enough. There's going to be another team that offers a better real package. 

Evander Kane is the exact opposite. Also 24, his skillset is a perfect match for what we are looking for. Not as good all around as Landeskog, but still a capable player. The problem however would be, like Landeskog brings high character and leadership to the lockeroom, Kane does the opposite. He's getting run out of town in Buffalo and Buffalo is looking to get rid of him. The price to acquire Kane would be MUCH MUCH MUCH lower, as they are trying to get rid of him and there aren't that many teams inquiring due to his off ice issues. He is much more of a realistic possibility.

I for one would totally be down with bringing Kane home. Surround him with family and those who want him to succeed and turn things around. Kane is only 24, and making 5+ million dollars a season. His contract expires in 2 seasons. That is a perfect fit for us, as there isn't that much risk. if we acquire him for a low price, the gamble would be more than worth it. Say he starts to falter after 1 year, I am confident that there will be a team still willing to take a gamble on him, and give us some return back, even if it's not great. (Even so, if we didn't give up that much in the first place, whoopdy-doo) And even if we can't trade him, thenwe suck it up, call it a failed experiment, and let him walk after his second season. It's not like he would be locked up on the books for 5-6 seasons. 2 seasons is just enough to give him a chance at redemption, and us a chance to steal a high talented player.

Another thing to consider in why I think bringing him home to family will help him significantly. You got to think that his family is going to sit him down and explain to him. Hey Evander, shut up and listen to us, becasue we love you. You are one of the most naturally athletic players in the league, and one of the most talented young stars, with crazy high potential. You are also making 5 million dollars right now. If you keep this up, in 2 years time when it comes time to negotiate a contract, you are going to be costing yourself millions upon millions of dollars. If you keep going down the wrong path you are going to get lucky to find a contract that pays you half of what you're worth talent wise. You've got 2 years to prove to everyone why you can be a star, and why they should gamble big money your way when youre 26. Even if you care about nothing else but the money, you better get your act together.

If his family can get that message ingrained into his head, we could see a massive turn around. I don't think JB would do it, but it could be a massive win for all parties involved. JB buys cheap, giving up assets that we can live without, Buffalo rids themselves of a player they want to wash their hands with, (Now that Okposo has also arrived), Kane comes home and gets one last shot to mature and turn this ship around with the support of family and close loved ones. If Kane can mature and turn it around JB would look like a genius who set this team on the right track. 

I would prefer Landeskog over Kane, but I don't think Landeskog is much of an option given our situation, and tradable assets. Kane however is more than possible to acquire. If I were Benning I would look into Kane to see the asking price, but knowing just how much Benning values Character, i doubt it. But if we acquired Eriksson, Gudbranson, and Kane (provided he matures) in 1 offseason, we will go a long way to becoming a better 2-way team.

Archived