The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The last piece - "a winger that has some grit and size to him, that can score." - via trade

In pouring over rosters on General Fanager, two things jump out:

1. There are very few left wingers who fit the description Benning gave out: younger, big, gritty and can score.

2. Of those few that are available, good luck in having the kind of assets that the other team would need to make the trade.

At the risk of being crucified by the highly emotional and overly opinionated, here are some players who MIGHT fit the bill:

Matt Beleskey, Boston. Big and gritty enough, but not really a second scorer. Not likely.
Marcus Foligno, Buffalo. Big, gritty but not really a second line scorer. Just re-signed with Buffalo, so probably not available.
Evander Kane, Buffalo. Character issues, but very good player. Benning doesn't like troublemakers.
Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado. Skilled and big, gritty. Ideal candidate number one. Would cost a lot.
Scott Hartnell, Columbus. Everything but youth. Older, but ticks all the boxes. Veteran leadership may be a bonus.
Tomas Tatar, Detroit. Not big, nor gritty. Detroit has lots of forwards and not enough room for all of them. Possible.
Josh Bailey, NY Islanders. Not gritty. Would prefer Anders Lee but good luck trying to get him.
Chris Kreider, NY Rangers. All aspects present. Ideal candidate number two.
James Van Riemsdyk, Toronto. Not gritty. Maybe not, because, you know, Toronto. But a possible.
Patrick Berglund, St. Louis. Acceptable, but not big scorer. Good veteran presence and good size. With the return of Sobotka, Berglund may be available.

I have not included anyone listed as a centre who could also play the wing, but there are many teams who have several extra centres who will end up on one wng or another. I will go over that list and see who might be a fit with Benning's ideal guy.

I could accept Hartnell or Berglund if those players end up being the only options, but my preferred options would be:

1. Kreider, 2. Landeskog or 3. Van Riemsdyk

Kane? A big, fat, honkin' NO.

For the price of a decent LW by trade, we might as well look internally for a stop gap this year.

Burrows, Virtanen and Etem all have the potential to fill in here; however Virt and Etem are still developing and stand to lose confidence if unsuccessful.

The recent article on Burrows mentioned he was injured for most if last year, but is now 100% and training hard. He's heading into a UFA year, playing for his next contract.  Gritty - check. LW - check. Can score - check.  He would take the pressure off Baertschi, and allow us to keep our cap space cushion.

The Sutter line becomes a matchup / counterattack line, while the Horvat and Granlund lines will get more icetime to contribute offensively:

Sedin Sedin Eriksson 

Burrows Sutter Hansen 

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen 

Etem Granlund Dorsett 

Rodin

I would say that JB trying to get Landeskog would be more realistic, trading with Edm would be stupid, especially if we are talking a guy like Tanev, Edm is divisional rival, we don't need to help them out! Landeskog has size, speed, grit, and best of all, he can score and he does not play for a divisional rival. I personally would try to wiggle Tom Wilson out of Washington, he is huge, he is mean, he can put the puck in the net, and did i mention he is mean, which is what we need up front, he also lives infront of the net, again something we sorely lack up front. We could give Washington Sbisa and Burr and maybe a 4th/3rd pick, we would get Wilson and possibly a 5th pick? Or we could just bring up Grenier, or put Trymakin in front of the net.

Can we stomach the loss of Tanev, Hansen, and Gaunce for a young proven 50-60 point/year player with size and grit?

Or stomach the loss of Horvat, Hutton and a 1st?   .....that's what it will take to pry that kind of player from any team.

28 minutes ago, whytelight said:

Can we stomach the loss of Tanev, Hansen, and Gaunce for a young proven 50-60 point/year player with size and grit?

Or stomach the loss of Horvat, Hutton and a 1st?   .....that's what it will take to pry that kind of player from any team.

Hansen maybe, Tanev i don't thknk so way to steady, Gaunce we wouldn't miss him (at least not me) , Horvat JB would have to be on something to trade that guy, or the offer would have to be so good that there is no way to turn it down. I personally would not give up a 1st or 2nd round unless it was very worth while.

With the Devils getting Taylor Hall, Luc Gazdic is not needed we could pick him up really cheap. He's one of the few players in the NHL that guys fear. 

Sedin Sedin Errikson

Beartchi Sutter Hansen

Burrows  Horvat Rodin

Gazdic, Gaunce, Grandlund, Dorset, Etem, Virtanen

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tyamkin Larson

Pedan Sbisa

Jim Benning said he was waiting for some chips to fall and that gm's know what he's looking for in his most recent interview. I think evander Kane is who he's targeting as he's a BC boy which he likes and he's big and gritty. He's probably waiting to see what Buffalo does with jimmey vesey, and mark my words I bet if Buffalo gets him that makes Kane expendables and I'd say u can book it that he's gonna be a canuck. After all it does seem like Kane has the potential to be our future 1LW. Think of KANE HORVAT BOESER, that's one tough line to play against.

1 hour ago, orcasgonewild said:

Jim Benning said he was waiting for some chips to fall and that gm's know what he's looking for in his most recent interview. I think evander Kane is who he's targeting as he's a BC boy which he likes and he's big and gritty. He's probably waiting to see what Buffalo does with jimmey vesey, and mark my words I bet if Buffalo gets him that makes Kane expendables and I'd say u can book it that he's gonna be a canuck. After all it does seem like Kane has the potential to be our future 1LW. Think of KANE HORVAT BOESER, that's one tough line to play against.

Similarly, instead of waiting for Bufallo and Kane maybe he's waiting to see what the Avalanche do with Barrie, whether they sign him or trade him, and how that affects their other forwards. 

Maybe there's a three-way if Barrie is asking for the moon.

EDM: Barrie

COL: Draisaitl and Tanev

VAN: Landeskog

Edmonton gets another RHD to play behind Larsson and would have a solid defense core of Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, and Barrie.

Colorado gets a high-end puck-moving defensive defenseman on a good contract and a big centre who can play behind MacKinnon. They push Duchene to the wing where he can utilize his speed and offense more.

Vancouver builds a power line-up, one that can play a meat and potatoes game against the Pacific Division and one that can play the speed and skill game against everyone else.

Landeskog - Horvat - Boeser

Baertschi - Gaudette/Sutter? - Virtanen

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Hutton - Gudbranson

On 7/16/2016 at 1:30 PM, Curmudgeon said:

In pouring over rosters on General Fanager, two things jump out:

1. There are very few left wingers who fit the description Benning gave out: younger, big, gritty and can score.

2. Of those few that are available, good luck in having the kind of assets that the other team would need to make the trade.

At the risk of being crucified by the highly emotional and overly opinionated, here are some players who MIGHT fit the bill:

Matt Beleskey, Boston. Big and gritty enough, but not really a second scorer. Not likely.
Marcus Foligno, Buffalo. Big, gritty but not really a second line scorer. Just re-signed with Buffalo, so probably not available.
Evander Kane, Buffalo. Character issues, but very good player. Benning doesn't like troublemakers.
Gabriel Landeskog, Colorado. Skilled and big, gritty. Ideal candidate number one. Would cost a lot.
Scott Hartnell, Columbus. Everything but youth. Older, but ticks all the boxes. Veteran leadership may be a bonus.
Tomas Tatar, Detroit. Not big, nor gritty. Detroit has lots of forwards and not enough room for all of them. Possible.
Josh Bailey, NY Islanders. Not gritty. Would prefer Anders Lee but good luck trying to get him.
Chris Kreider, NY Rangers. All aspects present. Ideal candidate number two.
James Van Riemsdyk, Toronto. Not gritty. Maybe not, because, you know, Toronto. But a possible.
Patrick Berglund, St. Louis. Acceptable, but not big scorer. Good veteran presence and good size. With the return of Sobotka, Berglund may be available.

I have not included anyone listed as a centre who could also play the wing, but there are many teams who have several extra centres who will end up on one wng or another. I will go over that list and see who might be a fit with Benning's ideal guy.

I could accept Hartnell or Berglund if those players end up being the only options, but my preferred options would be:

1. Kreider, 2. Landeskog or 3. Van Riemsdyk

Kane? A big, fat, honkin' NO.

Great post, man.  Thx

Anders Lee would be a fantastic acquisition.  NYI are tight to the cap this year (+3.6m) and still have to re-sign Strome.  They also are looking to lose a good player (unprotected) at the expansion draft. 

The Islanders have a boat load of talented prospects, with 2 or 3 likely ready to join the team after next season.  Wonder what it would take to get him.  They seem strong in every position.  Their only weakness is salary cap issues.

Archived