The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks pursue Evander Kane?

TheRussianRocket.

Poll  

569 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the latest news of Kane being involved in another off-ice incident again, Sabres management is growing impatient with him and reports are surfacing they are shopping him: 

...however, teams are hesitant due to his history of off-ice occurrences so it's unknown the price teams will be willing to pay to acquire him. One would think that naturally his value is at an all time low. 

Coincidentally(?), JB said after the Eriksson signing he's looking to add another forward via trade:

Flashback to 2015 NHL trade deadline where JB tried getting Kane from the Jets

Hide contents

...ultimately didn't end up happening because Winnipeg wanted to package Kane with Myers in a bigger deal whereas JB strictly wanted Kane and wasn't willing to give up our top young assets at the time which the Jets wanted. Buffalo were the ones who ended up paying the asking price for Myers+Kane in a package deal.

For all the things Kane has done in the past, sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery for a guy to turn it around. I could definitely see that with him coming home and wanting to set an example and turn the page in his career+life. If there's one place it would happen, surely it would be back home and he wouldn't screw it up. I personally wouldn't mind JB pursuing him if the price is reasonable considering all things. I mean afterall, he's only 24 and is a legitimate 2nd liner/top 6 winger who would fit well with the "younger, bigger, faster" mantra. And with all the veterans/leaders/character the Canucks have on their roster, I'd find it virtually impossible to believe it wouldn't rub off on Evander. 

Another thing to consider as well is his contract/salary. 2 years left, AAV price tag of $5.25M per, and a pending UFA at the end.

Canucks would have to send a bit of cap back as well to make a deal happen financially. Inevitably, next years 2nd rounder would probably be involved in the deal and maybe even a swap of mid/late round picks from both sides. Cap going to Buffalo from Vancouver would be Sbisa. A deal of that sort to relieve/dump/replenish the Sabres of Kane and give him what would be a last chance make-or-break opportunity back home.

Dank-Hank-Eriksson

Kane-Sutter-Rodin

Baertschi-Bo-Virt

Dorsett-Granlund-Hansen

...with Etem/Burrows cycling in-out of games until the trade deadline or end of the year.

I could dig that. This would definitely be something I hope management rolls the dice on.

I really want to say yes. On-ice, I think he'd be a great fit, and he's a hometown guy so he'd be motivated to play here. But I think the baggage is starting to outweigh the benefits. Back when it was just hockey related stuff (the tracksuit incident) I would've still taken him for sure but now that its escalated to criminal investigations... I think that's where you gotta draw a line.

And judging by how Benning handled the Kassian situation, I can't see him inquiring about Kane. The only real bonus to pushing for him now is that his stock will probably never be lower.

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

flat out no.  has character issues. we dont need character issues.  we need real character guys who won't taint or poison our locker room.  He looks like a coaches nightmare.

Not sure if you read OP but I kind of went into that. 

...considering he'd be back in Vancouver wanting to remake his image, not further damage it infront of family/friends, and set an example for the place he calls home - with all the character/leadership in the locker room (Twins, Eriksson, Hansen, Burrows, Dorsett, Bo, Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson etc etc), I just don't see how he doesn't change his ways. 

Worst case scenario IF he doesn't clean up his act, after this year the Canucks can look to trading Kane with him being on the last year of his deal. Could retain if need be as well.

6 minutes ago, Fanaholic said:

NEVER  <  NEVER  >   NEVER

Dumbest idea ever.   OMG,  you think he is going to change here.    I will never cheer for the Canucks if he ends up on this team.   

You must not watch much hockey..kids full of talent

Can't ignore talent regardless of some drama

My dads boss coached him and his dad use to buy extra ice time for him before there team practise. Was not very liked on the team. Kanes dad got in fights and got mad at my dads boss for not giving him enough ice time because he was the best player. Its was Kanes dad who made him like this.

Benning made an offer for him before he left Winnipeg. He's likely good for 20-25 goals. Could be a hometown hero and an opportunity to repair his image. The key words being "could be". Risky, but Benning did try to get him before. So, yeah, as long as we don't give up too much. Could be good for Kane to be home. Again, "could be" ... and could be what he needs and what we need.

Archived