The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks pursue Evander Kane?

TheRussianRocket.

Poll  

569 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kane doesn't have a NTC of any kind, so it's not up to him where he goes. Murray doesn't care about what's best for Kane, he only cares about what's best for the Sabres. He will go with the best offer. What I am hoping is that no other team really makes a decent offer for Kane, and BUF is left with:

Sbisa and Grenier for Kane.

1 hour ago, mpt said:

Turned out terribly obviously, but then again we traded away our cancer in Hodgson to get Kassian.   Cancer for cancer I guess.

Maybe that's the type of trade Buffalo will need to accept for Kane?  I don't know of a young, talented player with similar issues, but that might be what happens?

Buffalo wont give him away considering what the let go for him. 

door #1, 2 or 3? 

1. Sbisa, Etem and 2017 2nd round pick or better

2. Virtanen, and  the Columbus 2nd round we have coming

3. Burrows and 2017 1st rounder to free up cap

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe that's the type of trade Buffalo will need to accept for Kane?  I don't know of a young, talented player with similar issues, but that might be what happens?

Or you have to blow him out at the discount like we did Kassian.  Not saying Kassian is Kane, because he clearly isn't.   Buffalo can't expect to knock one out of the park though either.  No one is going to trade top assets for a threat of cancer

1 hour ago, nuck-lifer said:

Buffalo wont give him away considering what the let go for him. 

door #1, 2 or 3? 

1. Sbisa, Etem and 2017 2nd round pick or better

2. Virtanen, and  the Columbus 2nd round we have coming

3. Burrows and 2017 1st rounder to free up cap

No to #2.  If Virtanen is in the deal, (which I wouldn't really care to do since Kane may be a 2 year rental) you can't be giving up a pick either.

Buffalo blogger entertainingly thinks that Buffalo would get Hutton or Virtanen for Kane.

That would be his value max if there weren't any risks involved.

Even just looking at his pure performance, he was 207th in the league in point production last season even with getting premium minutes in Buffalo.  In points per 60 minutes played (which is a decent way to evaluate players who play different numbers of minutes) he was WAY below guys like Hansen, Baertschi, and even Vrbata who had a horrific season.

You get him as a project because you think he can turn himself around on and off the ice and become a real top 6 player.  Thankfully for Buffalo, Kane is still probably overvalued by some teams who think of him as a 30 goal guy.

Really disappointed in fans here ignoring his character and off ice issues for talent. What's next, open the floodgates and let pedophiles, wife beaters, bigots, racists, drunk drivers, addicts, sexists, etc. here because they're talented and make the team better? These players are supposed to be role models and held to a higher standard, not given a free pass.

I don't agree with Botchford but his article on Kane is right especially about fans thinking we'd get him for nothing when it would actually cost an asset.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/five-reasons-the-canucks-should-pass-on-evander-kane

1 hour ago, We Are All Cynics said:

Really disappointed in fans here ignoring his character and off ice issues for talent. What's next, open the floodgates and let pedophiles, wife beaters, bigots, racists, drunk drivers, addicts, sexists, etc. here because they're talented and make the team better? These players are supposed to be role models and held to a higher standard, not given a free pass.

I don't agree with Botchford but his article on Kane is right especially about fans thinking we'd get him for nothing when it would actually cost an asset.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/five-reasons-the-canucks-should-pass-on-evander-kane

How many excuses can be chirped out about this guy before it sinks in. He is trouble and simply is to much a risk for a rebuilding team. Top that off with being over rated.

After reading this im having second thoughts.  Sure he can be a good player, but if these statements are true .. is this the kind of guy we want wearing the uniform of the team we cheer for:

Statements from the bouncer and the girl he allegedly assaulted ..

CoX5EvXUsAMrk5E.png:medium

CoX3eUtUIAExCRA.jpg:medium

I would love the Canucks to get a LWer with Kane's skills and size, but I'm now having my doubts he'll be traded here. The Canucks have done some work to improve the morale of the team, and trading away players with a bad attitude (Kesler, McCann). The Sedins called out the young guys (eg. Virtanen) last year, so why would they then turn around and bring in a abusive player in trouble with the law and who shows so little respect for women and his team mates? Especially if it will probably cost Virtanen, Hutton, or Tanev. It would go against everything they've tried to do to improve the team and morale in the room.

It was a nice thought, Kane coming home and turning his life and career around. Something tells me he isn't done living how he does and he'll still have to answer for his latest charges. Some other team will take a chance on him.

27 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

After reading this im having second thoughts.  Sure he can be a good player, but if these statements are true .. is this the kind of guy we want wearing the uniform of the team we cheer for:

Statements from the bouncer and the girl he allegedly assaulted ..

CoX5EvXUsAMrk5E.png:medium

CoX3eUtUIAExCRA.jpg:medium

Kane is clearly an abusive idiot.  From reading the girl's statement does it not appear she and Kane know each other?  "He does it [grab me by the neck/hair, and pull my head back] every time I see him".

Many teams aren't willing to pick up a player that might be a rotten lockerroom jockey and a thug off the ice that Kane is showing himself to be.  Buffalo seems interested in getting rid of him but they need to know teams aren't willing to throw something of big value for such risk.

Saw this on Sportsnet.

Kane a fit for Canucks?

The Vancouver Canucks ranked 29th in goals for in 2015-16 with 191. Only the New Jersey Devils scored fewer goals.

The Province columnist Ben Kuzma floated one potential solution to help alleviated the Canucks’ offensive woes, a call for GM Jim Benning to take a run at acquiring Buffalo Sabres winger Evander Kane.

"The optics of another off-ice altercation by the wayward Evander Kane were ugly, but the timing may not have been better for the Vancouver Canucks, who desperately need to acquire a second-line left-winger," Kuzma writes.

Kane turned himself in to Buffalo police last Friday and is currently awaiting an August 1 court date where he will face four counts of non-criminal harassment, one count of disorderly conduct and a count of misdemeanour trespass stemming from an altercation at a downtown Buffalo bar on June 24. The 24-year-old has denied the charges through his lawyer Paul Cambria.

This is Kane's second run-in with the law in the past seven months. He avoided charges in March stemming from a possible sexual assault investigation. Prosecutors determined there was insufficient evidence to support the allegations.

The timing may not be worse for the Canucks to bring the Vancouver, British Columbia, native home.

There's no denying Kane is a talented hockey player. He totalled 20 goals in 65 games in 2015-16 and is blessed with the speed and size NHL executives covet on the wing. The problem is he can't seem to keep away from controversy and the charges he's currently facing are for allegedly grabbing three women by the neck, hair, and arms.

Perhaps the best course of action here for everyone is to let the legal process play out before handing Kane his second clean-slate opportunity in the past two years.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-news-rumours-kane-really-fit-canucks/

If Buffalo really wants to get rid of Kane, we could offer them just a 3rd round pick (or a similar type player) like what Murray traded for Vesey.  It probably wouldn't happen. But in any trade for Kane, we must be okay with what we are giving up in case Kane doesn't work out here.

Evander Kane to woman he was harassing:

“He came up to me like he always does,” she said. “He said, ‘You’re coming to my house with me and you’re going to like it.’ ... He grabbed my neck with both hands and pulled me close. It was like I couldn’t breathe. It hurt. When I told him no, he went off. That’s how he treats women. Aggressive and disrespectful.”

acquiring Kane is a huge risk. give up too much and if things don't work out then what. Murray is in no position of power either which makes me think that he may just wait before dealing Kane. you do deals from a position of power if you can help it. I don't think there's any rush either for Murray. if Kane can have a good start to the season. his value may go up even if just a bit. 

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Evander Kane to woman he was harassing:

“He came up to me like he always does,” she said. “He said, ‘You’re coming to my house with me and you’re going to like it.’ ... He grabbed my neck with both hands and pulled me close. It was like I couldn’t breathe. It hurt. When I told him no, he went off. That’s how he treats women. Aggressive and disrespectful.”

if this is true. this is too bad. he's not doing any favors for himself or for the Sabres. his value continues to drop. which would be a good thing for the Canucks. offer Murray a 2nd round pick and a young player. How about Etem? cause just because Murray wants more. doesn't mean he will get it. if buffalo wants Virtanen. I would hang up the phone. bye Murray. have fun with your cancerous player. 

Archived