The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks pursue Evander Kane?

TheRussianRocket.

Poll  

569 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

At a lower cost than Buffalo would want for him, absolutely. I think being in Vancouver and having that support from people who aren't just 'yes men' around him could help ground him. We all seem to forget that he and Lucic actually brought a major hockey championship to Vancouver. He's a person too and it might help him to play for a the hometown team.

58 minutes ago, Neil HD said:

I'd pass on him entirely if I were Canucks management for two critical reasons: Jake Virtanen and Bo Horvat

For the longest time, I was irked by how poor the Canucks were at drafting and developing top-6 prototypical power forwards from scratch, that they would be stuck paying a premium to sign or trade for this kind of player. We have two of those guys in the fold now.

Problem is, both guys are still very young and understandably look to older guys to model themselves after, both on and off the ice. Kane is someone notorious for not getting along with older teammates, coaches, management, you name it. And it's shameful to see that at age 24, he hasn't curbed any of his behaviors off the ice that invite trouble his way.

The Sedins won't be around to mentor the youth in professionalism forever, and when they leave, I do not want Virtanen and Horvat to have Evander as one of the guys they look to for mentoring. Call me paranoid, but I firmly believe that if that happens, we are eventually going to end up cutting ties with at least one of Horvat and Virtanen.

Horvat I am not worried about, Jake on the other hand.......

He's a talented guy so it is tempting but obviously a bit of a head case.  Pass.  We don't want to spoil what Trev and Jim are brewing here, namely character guys who want to play for each other instead of me, me, me, me, me.  We can win without him.  GCG!

The Canucks couldn't manage Kassian, so there's no way they can deal with EK.  His problems seem to be far worse than Kass'.

Best not to drop this bombshell amongst the young players/prospects on this team.

Depending on the price to acquire him, it could turn out to be a home- run. 

However, JB is always talking about character after acquiring a player, and that isn't really Kane's boat.

There would have to be a fine line, and if Kane crosses it, he would be suspended from the team /or other consequences. 

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Canucks couldn't manage Kassian, so there's no way they can deal with EK.  His problems seem to be far worse than Kass'.

Best not to drop this bombshell amongst the young players/prospects on this team.

You don't really know anyone with an addiction problem do you?

2 hours ago, Stanky Legs said:

We NEED to get this guy. He's a game-changer. He also adds color to our team which we lack.

He would scew with culture .. of the team... We need a big tough winger but not Kane he will always be him....

2 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I really want to say yes. On-ice, I think he'd be a great fit, and he's a hometown guy so he'd be motivated to play here. But I think the baggage is starting to outweigh the benefits. Back when it was just hockey related stuff (the tracksuit incident) I would've still taken him for sure but now that its escalated to criminal investigations... I think that's where you gotta draw a line.

And judging by how Benning handled the Kassian situation, I can't see him inquiring about Kane. The only real bonus to pushing for him now is that his stock will probably never be lower.

I'm in the minority and would love to see what he can do here. Based on how fast JB feels about character it won't happen.

Just now, BowtieCanuck said:

You don't really know anyone with an addiction problem do you?

Of course I do...everyone does.

You had any experience with narcisistic people with emotional problems who like to dominate and control others (particularly women)?

None of us know these guys and we can only speculate on what we've heard and read and that's what I'm doing.

Regardless, JB doesn't have much patience for excessive young players, so I really can't see him wanting EK.

8 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Based on how fast JB feels about character it won't happen.

Usually this would be the case but I think JB will make an exception. He understands the scenario of bringing him in and letting him turn things around back home. Not to mention, Canucks would get a legitimate forward in him as well + his age is relatively young (hasn't even entered his prime yet). 

Worst comes to worst you trade him next year, buy him out, or simply keep him for the 2 years and let him walk as a UFA. Not the end of the world by any means.

...and I say "usually this would be the case" because JB tried acquiring Kane the year Winnipeg ended up trading him to Buffalo. If anything, shows/hints that JB would be willing to take a flyer on him and this time, being at a much cheaper price with the way Evander's stock is taking a hit and with the Sabres growing impatient.

This is what I wrote in the other Kane thread...

Don't forget that charges have yet to be made by the police or DA.  Even though what he's being accused of is 2 misdemeanors, the cops or DA's office could in the end charge him with a felony after they're done investigating.  Being a Canadian citizen he could run into serious problems crossing the border.

The Sabres won't be able to move him until the investigation is over unless there's an insane GM that will pay the asking price before the legal details are settled.

If the one Kane can survive assault and rape allegations in Buffalo, I guess the other Kane can as well.

Archived