The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-2017 Opening Night Roster

Patrick Kane

I like, right around what I would think. Would like to add another gritty RW so Virtanen can spend the year in the AHL to get his confidence up

EDIT: Not exactly "gritty" but Versteeg wouldnt be terrible: 

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson
Baertschi - Horvat - Versteeg
Rodin - Sutter - Hansen
Burrows - Granlund - Dorsett

Overall, looking solid and certainly better than last year.

Impressed with the signing of Loui Eriksson and the trade for Erik Gudbranson, which at the time seemed like a lopsided deal, but now after the Hall/Larsson trade, it looks like we got a solid top-4 defenseman at a relatively fair price.

Absolutely loving the infusion of young talent into our line-up. With Bo Horvat leading the charge, it's also nice to see Jake Virtanen and Ben Hutton steadily improve. I'm also equally excited to finally see Anton Rodin play in the NHL.

Well done, Benning. There's still a lot more work to do, but it's a good start B)

BE8z8NU.jpg

I'm really over Dorsett. Loved the pick up at first, but now I think I would rather give Etem his spot on the steady roster. Especially if he can do well in SO opportunities. We could use solid SO studs. Too many one goal/tied up games last year.

23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Etem potentially over Dorsett and Sbisa definitely over Larsen.

Sbisa is an excellent bottom-pairing defenceman, its just that he's always asked to play a top 4 role and gets exposed in those situations. 

It depends, if Larsen can help our pp unit, he easily wins out over Sbisa. None of our defense can really QB a pp.

Edler - We've all seen how horrible he is at it

Tanev - Great defenseman, not much offense to his game though

Gudbranson - See above

Sbisa - Is Physical, again not a great puck mover or shot

Hutton - Too early to say, has potential to be effective on the pp

Tryamkin - When you're this big, you got a cannon of shot, be interesting to see if he's used on the point on pp, or maybe used down low to screen the goalie

I would much prefer if Markstrom started, but that may not be the case. Does anyone think Demko can crack the roster in his of pro? I don't necessarily think he will, but I'm just wondering if he's capable of a NHL role yet.  

EDIT: Can Juolevi be in the mix also? Thoughts on that? 

I don't think we see Jake in the opening lineup. I think he's sent down and plays top line minutes in Utica. 

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Rodin

Etem-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Gralund-Dorsett

Pedan

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Sbisa-Tryamkin

Larsen

Miller/Marky split

Pedan is 4th line fill in and Larson is 7th D

Baertschi-Horvat stopped playing together as of the TDL (save for injuries).  WD explained that it was better for Horvat to play with defensive wingers.  He voiced his concerns that Horvat was getting away from his game.  

I thought those comments on what's best for Horvat, plus WDs assessment throughout March of Baertschi's game (in a more offensive role with Granlund or Vey as his Cs) pretty much sealed that they wouldn't be on the same line going forward.  

Barring a trade, which seems very likely, I'm gonna guess:

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Sutter-Virtanen

Rodin-Horvat-Hansen

Etem-Granlund-Burrows

Dorsett, Gaunce

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Sbisa

Larsen, Pedan

Miller

Markstrom

Loving the D, but the forwards are gonna need to step it up big time.

42 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Pedan and Biega on waivers? It's one thing to risk losing one of them, but another to risk two.

Well we need Tryamkin's size, anyone who denies this is seriously in denial, this team still lacks toughness, but Tryamkin on the bottom pairing sure as hell changes that.

He said so much as he'd bolt back to Russia as well if we put him in the AHL, so, if that's what it comes to, remember though there are 23 roster spots, I'd easily put Sbisa on waivers before Biega.

Archived