The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-2017 Opening Night Roster

Patrick Kane

On 8/12/2016 at 5:27 PM, wildcam said:

Pedan will be picked up by another team??? He has to clear waivers his #rd pro season..Teams would pick him up quick..

So big mean 6'5 220lbs, 22yrs old will be a spare...I would hate to lose him for nothing...Speed, nasty mean, just needs more time to develop...

Yeah, I may be a minority here, but I would like to see the Canucks not worry about the standings again this year and really work on developing some guys with great potential.  This isn't to say they should try to lose but I'd like to see them consider the roster in 3 years time and determine who has the most potential at that point.  Pedan may not be ready yet but the potential for a diamond in the rough is there.  The Canucks have never had a Pronger / Shea Weber type player.  Pedan will likely never have that potential but he has some similarities.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen

Burrows - Sutter - Hansen

Dorsett - Gaunce - Etem

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Sbisa

Pedan (D or 4th line)

Larsson

Stecher

Miller

Markstrom

Sent down:  Granlund, Rodin (SEL)

I'm hoping for this anyway......this would still be a youth movement which I'm fine with but time will tell if WD can handle it.  There's some serious potential with the long-term outlook on defense and I don't think JB will want to lose any of them to waivers / expansion so that will have to be taken into account (which I don't fully understand at this point).  This team is still weak on the forward lines though.  JB is quietly building something decent here though I think given the D and G positions.

On 9/22/2016 at 9:18 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Dorsett - Gaunce - Etem

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Sbisa

Pedan (D or 4th line)

Larsson

Stecher

Miller

Markstrom

Sent down:  Granlund, Rodin (SEL)

I'm hoping for this anyway......this would still be a youth movement which I'm fine with but time will tell if WD can handle it.  There's some serious potential with the long-term outlook on defense and I don't think JB will want to lose any of them to waivers / expansion so that will have to be taken into account (which I don't fully understand at this point).  This team is still weak on the forward lines though.  JB is quietly building something decent here though I think given the D and G positions.

Not tooting my own horn or anything, but so far this prediction is looking pretty accurate.  Not sure how injured Virt is and Etem is no lock in that spot but I don't think this will be far off from what we're seeing right now.

After watching a few games 

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Burrows-Sutter-Rodin

Gaunce-Granlund-Dorsett

(Etem)

As much as I want Jake on the team I feel he is better suited in Utica playing 20 mins a night and learning from Green. Hopefully he develops his offensive game

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Guddy

Sbisa-Larson

(Tryamkin-Pedan)

Miller 

Marky

However if we think that his roster is complicated just wait till next year. Juolevi and Stecher pretty much locks to be seriously pushing for spots. we have Boeser leaving college for Van.

What I want to see:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Rodin - Sutter - Virtanen

Gaunce - Granlund - Dorsett

Etem

Burrows

Skille

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stecher

What I think we'll see:

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Dorsett - Granlund - Rodin

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larrson

From what I have seen during the pre-season I think this will be the opening day roster. Pedan will be waived, Etem will be waived, Virtanen will start in the A, due to injury and other players having a good camp. I can also see Granland playing his was on to the third line as a left winger. Burrows can pay the 4th line. Gaunce will get in when other players get injured or to mix up the group after a bad game. But he will not be starting on opening day. Stretcher has essentially taken Pedan's spot and has outplayed Larson so he will start. They will keep Larson on the team in case Stretcher starts to fall off.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Burrows - Sutter - Rodin

Granland - Rutuu - Dorsett

Gaunce

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stretcher

Tryamkin - Larson

Miller

Markstrom

After watching the 4th pre-season game and the World Cup my lineup would look like this...It's a 

Daniel Henrik Sutter

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

Rodin Granlund Hansen

Etem/Burrows/Dorsett Gaunce Zalewski

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa/Tryamkin Larsen

Pedan

!st line Sutter gets offside draws and he's a shoot 1st player

2nd line Eriksson puts those 2 young greats under his wing

3rd line Granlund and Rodin are playmakers and Rodin and Hansen are speedy finishers with a 2-way game.

4th line Gaunce and Zalewski are center slash wingers and they both can skate, play physical and are used on the PK. Etem Burrows and Dorsett should be fighting for the 13th forward spot.

All of the 8 defensemen are deserving of a shot. Stetcher is 9, Biega is 10 

Rodin has been brilliant everywhere he's played but I think he'd benefit most from a big strong center (Horvat or Sutter) and a skilled winger. He really needs a playmaker to help set up that wicked quick shot of his. Please don't burry him with Granlund, Dorsett, Burrows or Etem and waste his skill. This guy along with Baertschi and the Sedins are our only purely skilled forwards.

My 23-man starting roster for the season...

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin

Ruutu - Gaunce - Dorsett

Granlund

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stecher
Pedan - Tryamkin

Miller

Markstrom

I have Rodin, Gaunce and Stecher making the team. Although Labate has shown really well pre-season, it is toss-up decision as to whether Ruutu or Labate makes the team - I choose Ruutu as the only PTO to make cut: sign Ruutu for 1 yr contract. Trade Etem or put on waivers. Send Labate, Virtanen, Biega, Larsen to Utica but these guys provide good depth.

1 hour ago, SuitcaseSmith said:

My 23-man starting roster for the season...

Ruutu - Gaunce - Dorsett

Granlund

Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Stecher
Pedan - Tryamkin

Miller

Markstrom

I have Rodin, Gaunce and Stecher making the team. Although Labate has shown really well pre-season, it is toss-up decision as to whether Ruutu or Labate makes the team - I choose Ruutu as the only PTO to make cut: sign Ruutu for 1 yr contract. Trade Etem or put on waivers. Send Labate, Virtanen, Biega, Larsen to Utica but these guys provide good depth.

I think Larsen has to be subject to waivers to be sent down.

Larsen and Rodin and Tryamkin are NHL or bust they won't report to the minors.

Pedan needs to be kept on the squad. Next to Gudbransson he is the most physical player on the team in terms of willingness to hit and fight and play physical.

Gaunce is going to be on the roster

I don't see what alot of people here see in Etem, I never have.  I think he needs to show more to be an NHL regular

Labate is an early call-up

I don't know why anyone's roster would have Larsen in the top 6 (other than the hype).  The guy hasn't shown much.

From WD comments post game yesterday it sounds like Burrows spot is a lock.

I thought Skille had been the best of the PTO's but Ruutu was good last night and may have passed him

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Rodin

Granlund - Sutter - Hansen

Gaunce - Ruutu - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen 

Miller

Markstrom

Extra forward: Burrows

Extra Dmen: Pedan & Tryamkin

Virtanen hurt his chances of making the team with his injury, and Granny & Rodin playing well this preseason. Let him rip it up in utica in a first line role

Etem just isn't cutting it

Ruutu looks real good, i think he's done more than burr to earn a spot this season

Virtanen - Sutter - Hansen

Labate - Gaunce - Dorsett

Etem/Burrows/Granlund

Edler - Stetcher
Hutton - Gudbranson

Tryamkin - Tanev
Sbisa/Pedan

Markstrom

Miller

Only reason I have Tanev on the third pair is to balance out the veteran and rookie pairs and since Edler and Stetcher seem to play well together, also Marky is my #1.

If Bae, Bo and Rodin take some major steps this year along with our defense staying healthy with Hutton and Stetcher making strides, we could have an interesting team forsure.

sedin-sedin-eriksson

baertschi-horvat-rodin

granlund-sutter-hansen

burrows-ruutu-dorsett

gaunce

edler-tanev

hutton-gudbranson

sbisa-stecher

tryamkin

pedan

miller

markstrom