The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Targetting Pirri and Gagner

b3.

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Why not stock up on guys like this.  Nucks have the contract space, so offer them short term, 2-way contracts and if they can compete with the other players at training camp.  Utica is desperate for decent AHL players, so whoever doesn't make the team gets waived.  Personally, I think that Gagner beats out Granlund for a spot, but who knows.

Fill up Utica with some good players and then use them as depth for the big club throughout the season.

i think when our granlund can play like his brother, he will be a useful centre....

There something wrong with Pirri. Blackhawks always need young scorers, and he was one of the best in their system, but they shipped him out. Then he was a scoring machine in Florida in the first half-season, and in the middle of a decent 2nd season gets moved for a 6th? Then Ducks don't even qualify him?

Could be substance abuse, or just a major a-hole teams don't want in the room. Whatever it is, buyer beware.

I'd love to get pirri on a 1yr, 1.1m "show me what you got deal"

Sedin-sedin-eriksson

pirri-sutter-virtanen

baerschi-horvat-hansen

Etem-granlund-dorsett

burrows

gaunce and Rodin would be waiver ineligible I believe so they would start in the ahl

18 minutes ago, billabong said:

I'd love to get pirri on a 1yr, 1.1m "show me what you got deal"

Sedin-sedin-eriksson

pirri-sutter-virtanen

baerschi-horvat-hansen

Etem-granlund-dorsett

burrows

gaunce and Rodin would be waiver ineligible I believe so they would start in the ahl

Gaunce is waiver exempt, but I don't think Rodin is any more (signed at 20 back in 2010, which gives 4 years since signing or 80 NHL games played until waivers to kick in). Regardless, Rodin has a European assignment clause so he won't be in the AHL.

15 minutes ago, D-Money said:

There something wrong with Pirri. Blackhawks always need young scorers, and he was one of the best in their system, but they shipped him out. Then he was a scoring machine in Florida in the first half-season, and in the middle of a decent 2nd season gets moved for a 6th? Then Ducks don't even qualify him?

Could be substance abuse, or just a major a-hole teams don't want in the room. Whatever it is, buyer beware.

Jesus man, maybe think before throwing out these baseless accusations. 

2 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Jesus man, maybe think before throwing out these baseless accusations. 

It's not a "baseless accusation" to suggest a young man being paid millions, but having what seems to be trouble at the workplace, may possibly have a problem with substance abuse.

You seem to be ignorant of the prevalence of substance abuse, and/or the definition of "accusation".

I think Pirri may have been a decent second option if the team had signed someone like Brouwer as their primary UFA - adding Pirri may have made sense in that case adding some potential depth scoring -  but landing Eriksson, I just dont' thinjk Pirri brings the grit they're looking to add - so having Eriksson for the top line and looking to add a heavier winger makes more sense.

Gagner likewise - a reclamation AHL project that can't wind draws and is "soft" (to use the favoured description) is not really a fit.

If it's the UFA route, much rather see them give a young winger like Lessio an opportunity to compete for a depth role - or add a gritty veteran shutdown center like Chipchura..

2 hours ago, BigBadBertz said:

I'd love to land Brandon Pirri. The guy does have talent, and can be coached. He keeps getting lost in the mix. Him coming here at his age, and his skill set would be a perfect fit. He could grow with this team. And as someone else said, he does play all 3 positions. Besides, as a former Florida Panther, doesn't it just feel like destiny that he should come here?

My thinking exactly. With the Panthers connection, you can't fail.

Pirri to me feels like a similar project as Baertschi. Tons of potential and the time to make it work isn't over yet for him.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

It's not a "baseless accusation" to suggest a young man being paid millions, but having what seems to be trouble at the workplace, may possibly have a problem with substance abuse.

You seem to be ignorant of the prevalence of substance abuse, and/or the definition of "accusation".

You're right, it's totally legit to state that a kid who has played on three teams in his career has substance abuse issue.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Watch Gagner get signed by Vancouver and get smoked in the jaw again by an errant Kassian stick.

And for the league to give Kassian no suspension because Vancouver and McDavid haha.

I honestly wouldn't mind Gagner. He's kinda what I hoped Vey would turn out to be (at least Edmonton Gagner; he's been pretty meh since he left them which is pretty funny).

Pirri I'd love to add and I think he could be a good fit for us at an affordable rate.

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Gaunce is waiver exempt, but I don't think Rodin is any more (signed at 20 back in 2010, which gives 4 years since signing or 80 NHL games played until waivers to kick in). Regardless, Rodin has a European assignment clause so he won't be in the AHL.

Ahh I see well either way Rodin has to earn his spot cause I doubt they want virtanen in the ahl. Not many guys come from overseas and have successful seasons

56 minutes ago, Stelar said:

You're right, it's totally legit to state that a kid who has played on three teams in his career has substance abuse issue.

If you had basic reading comprehension, you'd know that he never stated that he had substance abuse issues, rather:

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

What he was merely SUGGESTING, was that, despite Pirri showing promise, he can't stick with a team. He then went on to suggest two POSSIBLE reasons as to why teams should be weary of signing him. And there is obviously reason to be weary of taking him on, considering Chicago, Florida, and Anaheim have moved on from him for basically nothing in return.

So to reiterate. There certainly is something going on with Pirri, and it's certainly serious enough that teams don't want him around.

48 minutes ago, Stelar said:

He never said he did lol. 

Get over it. It is fair to suggest something is issue behind the scenes when someone of Pirri's skill is cast off.

I suppose had D-Money said " something " instead of some possible issues his post would be ok. But heaven forbid some questions out loud what the issue could be.

Archived