The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Targetting Pirri and Gagner

b3.

Gagner is WAAYY underrated

A victim of having cut his pro teeth in EDM, during the worst years

Its been impossible to get the stink off his reputation

Give Gagner as home in the NHL and he'll pay you back 10 fold

But if it were up to me we'd be signing Vey, guess he has a little too much talent to fit in here

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

There something wrong with Pirri. Blackhawks always need young scorers, and he was one of the best in their system, but they shipped him out. Then he was a scoring machine in Florida in the first half-season, and in the middle of a decent 2nd season gets moved for a 6th? Then Ducks don't even qualify him?

Could be substance abuse, or just a major a-hole teams don't want in the room. Whatever it is, buyer beware.

You've got a good point there

The optics are all wrong on his case, what has happened shouldn't be happening, there must be something

2 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

But if it were up to me we'd be signing Vey, guess he has a little too much talent to fit in here

If you say so.

16 pts in 53 games and a trip to the AHL last year suggests it's not so cut and dried.

Anyhow, kudos to you for your Vey-love. Nice to see someone serving koolaid for a change, as opposed to the incessant trolling.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Gagner likewise - a reclamation AHL project

AHL?

He produced like a 2nd liner for 8 straight seasons on terrible teams, up until last year when he was used in a different role, getting the 2nd lowest offensive zone start percentage out of all Flyers forwards. And he can play wing.

1 minute ago, Time Lord said:

AHL?

He produced like a 2nd liner for 8 straight seasons on terrible teams, up until last year when he was used in a different role, getting the 2nd lowest offensive zone start percentage out of all Flyers forwards. And he can play wing.

Meh.  I wouldn't call 46.7% offensive zone starts a signifcant explanation for weak production - or the middling quality of competition he faced.

Couturier is their true shutdown center - Gagner imo is an odd-to-fit tweener that isn't really cut out for hard minutes.  17 hits, 15 blocked shots, lack of grit + lack of production....

And he was 35.1% in the faceoff circle last year  (45% lifetime) so yeah, he needs to be able to play wing.

What he did years ago doesn't really bear on the fact he cost 4.8 million of cap hit and did very little last year.

In reality he's in line for a 'show me' contract at best, at or less than 1 million - and still, I'd rather have a legit veteran shutdown and faceoff guy like Chipchura in my bottom 6.

57 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Meh.  I wouldn't call 46.7% offensive zone starts a signifcant explanation for weak production - or the middling quality of competition he faced.

Couturier is their true shutdown center - Gagner imo is an odd-to-fit tweener that isn't really cut out for hard minutes.  17 hits, 15 blocked shots, lack of grit + lack of production....

And he was 35.1% in the faceoff circle last year  (45% lifetime) so yeah, he needs to be able to play wing.

What he did years ago doesn't really bear on the fact he cost 4.8 million of cap hit and did very little last year.

In reality he's in line for a 'show me' contract at best, at or less than 1 million - and still, I'd rather have a legit veteran shutdown and faceoff guy like Chipchura in my bottom 6.

Agree. He is not what we need other than as a very cheap one year contract. He would help pp 2 most likely but in terms of fit we don't need any more centers who can't win draws and is he going to be in the top 6 on this team to hide his weaknesses like he was in Edmonton? If not his skills are limited for the 3rd or 4th line role. 

39 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Agree. He is not what we need other than as a very cheap one year contract. He would help pp 2 most likely but in terms of fit we don't need any more centers who can't win draws and is he going to be in the top 6 on this team to hide his weaknesses like he was in Edmonton? If not his skills are limited for the 3rd or 4th line role. 

Gagner has offensive skills. been hovering around 14-15 goal seasons even back with Edmonton.  but yeah. he doesn't seem to be a fit on the 4th line. would be misused if he was played there. he would be a better fit for the top six. but not quite sure where he would fit. looks like our roster may be set pretty much with a few tweaks here and there. but minor. unless there's a major trade in the works. 

We've got about 4M in cap space, give it all to Pirri. The guy is 25, he's a consistent 15-20 goal pace scorer and lit it up with Florida only a year ago. He looked great with Anaheim recently too and is ready to really explode if given consistent minutes. I'd sign him to a 3 or even 4 year, 4M deal to essentially replace Burrows and his production for the next few years. Lock this guy down. Gives us depth at center but he can play wing, and options if our top-6 get injured or aren't producing well.

Sedin - Sedin - Eriksson

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen

Pirri - Sutter - Virtanen

Etem - Granlund - Burrows

Gaunce/Dorsett

Rodin

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen

Tryamkin

Biega/Subban

That team makes the playoffs easily. Could have as high as 7 20 goal scorers very realistically right there, that sort of depth up front is as good as it gets in the Pacific.

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

smh

In all honesty it's going to be a bidding war for him right now, he's probably the best UFA left out there. Consistent 20-goal pace scorer who's a versatile center, I'd try and get him for 4 years at 2.5-3M per year but we've got wiggle room at least and should pay the man at the upper range because he'd be a fantastic player to have going forward.

Essentially another Hansen/Burrows who's much younger and in his prime.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

In all honesty it's going to be a bidding war for him right now, he's probably the best UFA left out there. Consistent 20-goal pace scorer who's a versatile center, I'd try and get him for 4 years at 2.5-3M per year but we've got wiggle room at least and should pay the man at the upper range because he'd be a fantastic player to have going forward.

Essentially another Hansen/Burrows who's much younger and in his prime.

I don't think you have much idea of the player you're talking about, particularly when you name comparables like that.

This player just got traded for a 6th round pick and then was not qualified for $1 million....and you want to give him $4 million.

Correction - it's you who should shake your head.

2 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Thank god your not our GM I guess if you think Vey has too much talent to fit in here. I'm sure he will receive a multi year offer on July first, oh wait!

8 hours ago, BigBadBertz said:

I'd love to land Brandon Pirri. The guy does have talent, and can be coached. He keeps getting lost in the mix. Him coming here at his age, and his skill set would be a perfect fit. He could grow with this team. And as someone else said, he does play all 3 positions. Besides, as a former Florida Panther, doesn't it just feel like destiny that he should come here?

anyone leaving the blackhawks would become lost. championship dynasty then off to what kind of team...

Id like Hartnell, but Ive read some convincing arguments on why Gagner should have a bounce back year.  While having a rough year offensively he also quietly enjoyed the best season of his career from an underlying stat point of view.  He could thrive with an opportunity in someones top 6, or at least for what discounted rate a team ends up signing him for.  We really need another winger to play in the middle 6.

4 mil for Pirri. This is a perfect example of when people have never seen a player play, and just read stats. Height/weight and penalty minutes determines if their tough, plus/minus and giveaways/takeaways to determine if he is a two way fwd, etc. Worst is the draft. 95% have never seen the kids play, but feel they know who's a good pick and whos bad based on their stats and the different scouting agencies draft ranking. 

We have a 5th LW and a 5th RW, Gaunce/Burrows and Virtanen/Etem, but no 5th centre. After last years injuries having McCann and Vey in top 6, I think JB wants someone who can play 4th or 1st/2nd if needed. If we make this signing AND acquire a big LW, expect JB to find a home for Burrows, and start Gaunce and Virtanen on Utica's first line with Megna. We still have 9 dmen. Either Sbisa goes for LW, or we likely lose Pedan/Biega to waivers.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

If you say so.

16 pts in 53 games and a trip to the AHL last year suggests it's not so cut and dried.

Anyhow, kudos to you for your Vey-love. Nice to see someone serving koolaid for a change, as opposed to the incessant trolling.

I'm actually not "trolling" I have my opinions and at some points that may not match up with the majority, I also do not change them just because the heard has decided to graze elsewhere, so to speak. But, I am always willing to see thigs differently if someone can put forth a good argument as to why I should. If I have been negative lately it is because I have been through this before with this team, all signs are pointing in one direction, while a large portion of the fan base seems to want to say they are pointing in the direction opposite.  That's fine. But if I see an arrow pointing east I'm not going to say it's pointing west just because everyone else says I should. So, I call it like I see it, I'm not "Trolling" and I am sincere when It comes to Vey as well, I truly believe that guy has talent well above the average level for an NHL player, and am saddened by what has happened to his career. I hope expansion gives him another shot. 

Archived