The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The real value of a Guddy in the playoffs

iceman64

I was shocked that FLA let go of Gudbranson for Mac and a 33rd BUT a lot who argued against it seemed to forget WHY we usually don't get far in the playoff's...

The opposing team has usually one thing on their minds...  BEAT ON THE TWINS!  and it has worked year after year because after them what true scoring power did we have? "Some" yes but not much so that, was that. Simple...

However enter "Benning" to help put a stop to that on 2 fronts, 1st, get the added scoring from other lines  2nd, get tougher (i.e Bruins)

I'd rather have this team how it is now opposed to that of previous years simply because Benning added Train and now Guddy who he can easily put on the ice on the points as a show of strength even for a shift if some coach/player says go after the twins. In my opinion that alone will get us deeper into the playoff's by a round simply because no more running the Twins will equals more goals. Personally i'd feel the same way by the consequences of having to deal with Guddy pissed off because i took a run at one. I saw his pipes on the tv interviews and i'd hate to be beat downs like this.

(Oh and at 4;19 or so of this, he laser beams a shot by arguably the best goalie in the world)  Maybe he simply didn't shoot as much as he could have and we could be getting even more of a bargain than i think we did.

So...  i don't know about you but i'm certainly glad he's here and i'm willing to bet things will change for other teams when they play us now, wonder what Tryamkin (Train) is like when he get's mad? 

Man what a beauty, this guy has honor and respect written all over him.

I am hoping that he has created a tough rep by now, because I would rather not see him fight unless absolutely necessary. Those open ice hits remind me of scotty stevens (except he throws em clean :P), and you are right he has a boomer of a shot. As mentioned in a previous thread, we need that intimidation factor that him and probably Trymak will bring. Prior to this, teams knew we had nobody but Dors to stick up for the goalie so it was a free ride for them. I cannot wait for the season to begin, for once we will have some truly intimidating players, lets see how the youngins do now that they know they have their back taken care of! 

Never underestimate the confidence one tough motha can bring to the lineup! Yost and those analysts can F off, try to measure that variable you hacks! 

Damn this vid got my hyped up! 

I believe he'll be a good player for us for years to come. But please, calm your panties. He hasn't played a single minute for the Canucks yet and some of you look at him as the saviour. And I guess they are the same people who will chase him with pitchforks and fire when he's not living up to your expectations. 

Personally I haven't seen him enough to say anything about him rather than he's big and has unimpressive stats. But many hockey fans/experts says this was a bad trade for Vancouver, they could very well be wrong. But please, don't look at him like he's Shea Weber or Chara. Because then you're very likely to get disappointed.

And regarding team toughness, of course you need some team toughness. But it's usually not toughness that takes you far in the playoffs. The Penguins had a total of zero enforcers in their line up, the Blackhawks have won theirs with skill, not toughness (I know Seabrook and Keith are tough to play against). And you could say the same about the Kings, sure they are a big team but it wasn't because they are a big adn scary team they won. They were loaded with skill aswell with players like Kopitar, Gaborik, Carter and Doughty. 

In my opinion it was skill and good defencemen that Vancouver were missing but Eriksson and Gudbransson will hopefully help to fill that need alongside a better Baerschi/Horvat/Virtanen/Hutton/Tryamkin. 

4 minutes ago, supermanbieksa said:

I believe he'll be a good player for us for years to come. But please, calm your panties. He hasn't played a single minute for the Canucks yet and some of you look at him as the saviour. And I guess they are the same people who will chase him with pitchforks and fire when he's not living up to your expectations. 

Personally I haven't seen him enough to say anything about him rather than he's big and has unimpressive stats. But many hockey fans/experts says this was a bad trade for Vancouver, they could very well be wrong. But please, don't look at him like he's Shea Weber or Chara. Because then you're very likely to get disappointed.

And regarding team toughness, of course you need some team toughness. But it's usually not toughness that takes you far in the playoffs. The Penguins had a total of zero enforcers in their line up, the Blackhawks have won theirs with skill, not toughness (I know Seabrook and Keith are tough to play against). And you could say the same about the Kings, sure they are a big team but it wasn't because they are a big adn scary team they won. They were loaded with skill aswell with players like Kopitar, Gaborik, Carter and Doughty. 

In my opinion it was skill and good defencemen that Vancouver were missing but Eriksson and Gudbransson will hopefully help to fill that need alongside a better Baerschi/Horvat/Virtanen/Hutton/Tryamkin. 

First....  there is NO one person who can save a hockey team so i'm thinking you missed the whole point of the topic in the first place, we have enough skill on this team and always have but never enough toughness to match or even close and a team needs BOTH to get anywhere,  Period end of story.... 

When was the last time we had players who could stand up for the Sedins?  like more than one or two and with a good skill level?

2 hours ago, iceman64 said:

The opposing team has usually one thing on their minds...  BEAT ON THE TWINS!  and it has worked year after year because after them what true scoring power did we have? "Some" yes but not much so that, was that. Simple...

However enter "Benning" to help put a stop to that on 2 fronts, 1st, get the added scoring from other lines  2nd, get tougher (i.e Bruins)

Kesler 41 goal season

Burrows 35 goal season

Higgins 18 (omg, Higgins could score?)

Hansen 22

Samuelsson 30

Raymond 25

In 2011 we scored 258 goals, compared to 186 last year.  You don't score 258 without secondary scoring.  Nobody is going to be scared to run the twins just because Gudbranson is on the team.  In fact, his hit on Hall resulted in the stars on his team being ran.  Skip to 1:20 in the video.

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Kesler 41 goal season

Burrows 35 goal season

Hansen 22

Samuelsson 30

Raymond 25

In 2011 we scored 258 goals, compared to 186 last year.  You don't score 258 without secondary scoring.  Nobody is going to be scared to run the twins just because Gudbranson is on the team.  In fact, his hit on Hall resulted in the stars on his team being ran.  Skip to 1:20 in the video.

How old was Guddy then?

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Kesler 41 goal season

Burrows 35 goal season

Hansen 22

Samuelsson 30

Raymond 25

Yea no kdding bud, what a dumb vid to show, obviously we do not have the depth right now to compete as the 2011 team did, which btw took 4 years to morph into a contender. Guddy has the toughness we have lacked for years, yet you show disrespect? We have to wait for our youngins (Horvat, Jake, Boeser, Bear) before we can truly compete, but given the plight of McCann last year (getting tooled by Getzlaf with no response) I think you even you as a hater can agree that what Guddy brings to the table is welcomed. GL with the oilers trying that BS next year we have Guddy, Trymak, Pedan and Dors to show them whats up. 

1 hour ago, supermanbieksa said:

Shows you do not watch much hockey. Lets forget the Pens who had Sid, Malkin and Kessel on their top six, plus Letang who is as tough and dishes it out as much as he gives. The Hawks Cups were won by their 3rd and 4th liners like Bickell, Saad, Shaw, Deshardins, Bufflin, Shaw etc, they do not win those cups without that help. LA had guys like Lewis, Brown, Doughty, Regher etc to win those cups. You cannot deny the big goals the 3rd and 4th line scored for those teams so lets be realistic in saying that it takes 4 lines to win a cup in the salary cap era. 

Do not get your panties in a bunch when you see Guddy open ice hit a forward trying to skate into the offensive zone. You probably did not catch Floridas first round vs the Islanders to see what kind of impact he had besides the "lack of points"

This team has needed toughness for years, but finally JB has been trying to address this issue with players like Guddy, Trymak, Dors, Pedan. Apparently he is still trying to add toughness to the Forward group by working the phones, but people like yourself probably do not understand how difficult it can be to acquire tough and skilled players. 

1 hour ago, supermanbieksa said:

A lot of people think vancouver won the trade by à wide margin actually. Many panthers fans are livid they traded away their "futur captain for an unproven prospect and à 2nd". The veterans on thé panthers Were shocked because they thought gudbranson was the futur of that franchise and many experts such as Ferrari MacKenzie ans Friedmann think this was a great deal for us. You can complain about me not Putting the source but there have been 1000 threads about gudbranson and you can find all of those sources everywhere. Especially in thé official trade thread.

Gudbranson is gonna be a great player for us, he is 24, and has still à lot of potential Even with his 300+ NHL games, which is impressive at his young age. 

I think we absolutely fleeced florida in this trade.

1 hour ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Yea no kdding bud, what a dumb vid to show, obviously we do not have the depth right now to compete as the 2011 team did, which btw took 4 years to morph into a contender. Guddy has the toughness we have lacked for years, yet you show disrespect? We have to wait for our youngins (Horvat, Jake, Boeser, Bear) before we can truly compete, but given the plight of McCann last year (getting tooled by Getzlaf with no response) I think you even you as a hater can agree that what Guddy brings to the table is welcomed. GL with the oilers trying that BS next year we have Guddy, Trymak, Pedan and Dors to show them whats up. 

You missed the point @CanadianRugby was trying to make. Marc Savard had Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and Thornton on his team when Matt Cooke decided to end his career. Did the Bruins goon squad deter Cooke from making the hit? Nope. 

At the end of the day a rat is a rat is a rat. If Cooke decides to drop kick Daniel Sedin, do you expect Gudbranson to come flying off the bench to tune him up and take a 10 game suspension in the process? Or let's say if he is on the ice, he goes after Cooke who turtles and runs away. Should Gudbranson "Bertuzzi" him from behind? None of these options are viable. This isn't disrespecting Gudbranson, it's accepting what is possible for him to do. 

The fact of the matter is the days of the players policing themselves is effectively over. It was pretty much done as soon as the NHL added the instigator penalty. It's taken time to catch on but more and more enforcers find themselves out of a job these days as teams realize that they are no longer deterrents any more. The only effective policing that can be done is by the league themselves.

Gudbranson will bring much needed physicality from the blue line. What he wont do is prevent someone from getting cheap shotted or run from behind because such things are out of his control.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

He will help deter other teams' physicality

No he won't.  Physical teams don't change their style of play because one guy is or isn't in the other teams lineup. 

But what he will be able to do for us is actually answer the other teams physicality with at least some of our own - which is something we could do actually very little of last year.

I do agree with you - we need more size /grit in the top 9 or so. JB recognizes this also but in today's NHL it isn't as simple as just 'getting what you want when you want it' - we're going to have some patience on the trade market. 

The only playoff series we lost because of the twins took a beatdown was Boston.  Maybe a little in the LA series too, but they were also better than us.  Our other losses to Chicago(twice), Anaheim, San Jose, we lost because of a lack of scoring depth and shutdown abilities.

I really like the acquisition of Gudbranson.  He will bring toughness and physical aspect to this team, but to think he alone will stop other teams of being physical with the twins is nonsense.  Gubranson is a minute munchers, you can't expect him to fight or retaliate every time the twins get hit, otherwise he will spent half his time in the penalty box.

Other team won't stop being physical with us, but at least now we will be able to fight back.  But I doubt that alone will make us automatically into the 2nd round.  It will help for sure, but we still need that secondary scoring.

Teams focus on the twins during the season and playoffs not because we've had no deterrent, but because we've had no scoring depth. 

For how many years have we heard the words "shut down the twins and you have a great chance to beat the Canucks"?

It has nothing to do with "protection". Has everything to to with lack of scoring depth, balance across four lines, and lack of a real puck moving d-man.

Don't get me wrong,  Guddy will make players think twice about accidentally on purpose falling into our goalies (I'm looking at you Corey Perry),  but going deep in the playoffs is not something Guddy alone can help with.

2 hours ago, Toews said:

You missed the point @CanadianRugby was trying to make. Marc Savard had Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and Thornton on his team when Matt Cooke decided to end his career. Did the Bruins goon squad deter Cooke from making the hit? Nope. 

At the end of the day a rat is a rat is a rat. If Cooke decides to drop kick Daniel Sedin, do you expect Gudbranson to come flying off the bench to tune him up and take a 10 game suspension in the process? Or let's say if he is on the ice, he goes after Cooke who turtles and runs away. Should Gudbranson "Bertuzzi" him from behind? None of these options are viable. This isn't disrespecting Gudbranson, it's accepting what is possible for him to do. 

The fact of the matter is the days of the players policing themselves is effectively over. It was pretty much done as soon as the NHL added the instigator penalty. It's taken time to catch on but more and more enforcers find themselves out of a job these days as teams realize that they are no longer deterrents any more. The only effective policing that can be done is by the league themselves.

Gudbranson will bring much needed physicality from the blue line. What he wont do is prevent someone from getting cheap shotted or run from behind because such things are out of his control.

Well my friend, I would agree with you if a rat like Marchand did not win the cup. Unfortunately,if you remember, Marchand and Chara and Horton got away with murder versus our team. Yes, the instigator rule makes enforcers extinct, however, the intimidation factor is my main point which you misunderstood. With Guddy, we should expect crease crashers and cheap shot artists to pay the price. We have not had an intimidating enforcer since Gino! 

Lets be realistic and say that the last 10 years we have not had a guy who intimidates just by lookiing at him. I am tired of the BS the Sedins have put up with, and instigator rule or not, we now have Guddy, Pedan, Trymak and Dors to teach these cowards a lesson!! The 2011 Bruins gooned their way to 2 finals, let us not underestimate the factor having a few tough guys in the lineup have. I truly believe this year now that we have these kind of players on our team, that it will let our "soft" forwards" have the leeway necessary to make an impact. We already have Jake and Bo as our strong kids, and of course the Sedins, so just wait until the season begins before we call our team soft now! 

5 hours ago, supermanbieksa said:

If you could please tell me one analyst that said we got fleeced in that trade.  There have been comments about Benning and company trying to build a competitive team instead of a full out rebuild.... But I have yet to hear someone say we overpaid for him.

Also Pittsburg may have won the Stanley cup but they didn't have to make it out of the Pacific.... 

Jesus. Has he even lost a fight in the NHL yet? What I can't wait to see is how he protects the crease. From what the 12 Panther fans are saying is his play bellow the hash marks is top tier. No more accidentally on purpose contact in the crease and "oops my bad" snow showers. 

Archived