The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks reported to be looking for a big scoring winger

As per the score.ca

Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

Canucks looking for big winger who can score

Navin VaswaniJul 4 2016, 2:24 PM

The Vancouver Canucks added Loui Eriksson in free agency, but they want more. 

In dire need of goals, Eriksson's going to help. He scored 30 times last season, and will form what should be a formidable all-Swedish first line with the Sedin twins. But Jim Benning knows the Canucks - the only team to score fewer than 200 goals in the Western Conference - need more offense.

While the Sedins are around, Vancouver is going to chase a playoff spot. That much is clear early in an offseason in which the club has tried to get better for the immediate future. 

"If I had a crystal ball, I would say we'd try to add a winger who had some grit and size to him, who can score," Benning told The Province's Jason Botchford.

Those players aren't available on the free-agent market, which means Benning is going to have to get what he wants via trade. And that won't be easy. Gone already is forward prospect and 2014 first-round pick Jared McCann, traded to Florida for defenseman Erik Gudbranson.

Here's a look at the Canucks' depth chart up front:

LW C RW
Daniel Sedin Henrik Sedin Loui Eriksson
Sven Baertschi Brandon Sutter Jannik Hansen
Alex Burrows Bo Horvat Jake Virtanen
Ronalds Kenins Markus Granlund Derek Dorsett
Emerson Etem Brendan Gaunce  

There isn't much to trade from that group. Prospects and/or draft picks could be used to pluck one of the pending 2017 unrestricted free-agent forwards, who are up there in age and who could help in the short term: Patrick MarleauPatrick Sharp, and Jarome Iginla. None of those players fit the description Benning is looking for, though, with Iginla coming the closest. He scored 22 goals as a 38-year-old last season, so there's still game left on his stick. 

While Eriksson's bringing 30 goals to Vancouver, the Canucks are losing Radim Vrbata's 13 goals, and 44 over the last two seasons. Any way you look at it, there's still work to be done, which means the summer may still hold intrigue out west. 

- With h/t to Pro Hockey Talk

Tagged in this article

small_logo.png

VAN

NHL

6 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

On the depth chart, they have Ronalds Kenins as our 4th line winger with Etem and Gaunce as the odd men out. Isn't Kenins an FA? I thought we didn't qualify him.

Kenins became a UFA - players who turn 25 and don't have 80 NHL games automatically become UFAs.

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Alex Killorn would make a good option imo.

I don't watch a ton of Lightning games but anytime I do (playoffs and Canucks games, mostly) Killorn always stands out to me. I would be ecstatic to bring him in. I haven't actually seen/heard any real rumours that he might be available though. I think he is currently an unsigned RFA though, is he not?

Otherwise, this isn't exactly a new rumour, and I can't really take the article very seriously when they have Kenins ahead of Etem on the depth chart.

Just now, Bure fan said:

What would you say the cost for those would be? (Roughly)

Landeskog would be the most,

A fair trade that Canucks fans wouldn't like:

Canucks 1st 2017 and Bo Horvat 

a more unfair trade that maybe could work:

Canucks 1st 2017, Jake Virtanen.

At least that's where I'd start if I was the AVS GM which is usually how I like to look at these trades.

Considering what Taylor hall got however... 

1st, Granlund and Tanev for Landeskog?

5 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

I don't watch a ton of Lightning games but anytime I do (playoffs and Canucks games, mostly) Killorn always stands out to me. I would be ecstatic to bring him in. I haven't actually seen/heard any real rumours that he might be available though. I think he is currently an unsigned RFA though, is he not?

Otherwise, this isn't exactly a new rumour, and I can't really take the article very seriously when they have Kenins ahead of Etem on the depth chart.

No rumours - but the Lightning managed to bring back Stamkos, Killorn is an RFA, they also have Kucherov and Namestnikov to sign and they could probably stand to move a forward for a defenseman - as well as the looming matter that when it comes to the expansion draft, they have a boatload of forwards and will have to expose some pretty good ones.

Their defensive depth is lacking - they bought out the disappointing Carle - and they dealt their highest upside D prospect (DeAngelo) for a 2nd round pick.

I think they're the team to be calling - if not a larger deal for Killorn, perhaps a Pedan for Paquette deal as tm has spitballed.

I'd love to see Killorn though and under the circumstances don't think it would be an unrealistic ask - and  probably not nearly as costly as a guy like Landeskog.

Archived