The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you buy into what management is selling?

Canuckler87

Hey everyone, I rarely start topics but wanted to gauge how fellow canucks fans felt about this.

Now, post the destruction of the 2011 core, I was among those who called for a full scale rebuild. I was of the mind that it's tear everything down and start over.

However, seeing the Oilers fail to make the playoffs with a upstart young core has greatly changed my mind. They clearly have nobody on that roster that knows how to win and lead! Nevertheless, they have also been grossly mismanaged.

Point is, I now believe in what GMJB is doing. He inherited a mess yet added/developed young pieces such as Hutton, Horvat, Virtanen, Juolevi, Demko among others. This while also making the playoffs one year and giving someone like Horvat a taste of what it takes to get there and compete.

Even the most negative haters have to admit our future is brighter than before Benning took over. I also believe that having leaders and relatively young players like gudbranson come in and help the Sedins out in terms of leadership and pushing young guys to be better will pay off. It's not like we haven't been getting high draft picks either. Horvat, Virtanen and Juolevi all went in the top ten.

For these reasons I am on board with what management has been doing. Wanted to gauge what others thought. Opinions?

With the youth that is coming (you forgot Boeser ::D) and with the red carpet to Miller being removed with the likes of Gudbranson & Groot (Tryamkin) I am absolutely buying what Benning is selling, and I'm chomping at the bit to see more.  As a fan, I am not kidding myself about a cup final, we are years away from it (3-4 is my hope), but the years leading to it won't be like watching a tire fire.  This team will compete in the meantime, and it will show our young core something about perseverance, without embracing a losing mentality (Edmonton).

I am 50/50

Depending on the rumours of Benning potentially wanting another top 6 winger and the endless comments from industry insiders about management desiring and ownership demanding playoff runs with the twins still here BEFORE they commit to a true rebuild; I am swayed to say nope

40+ years of watching us shed depth and skilled youth for shots at the playoffs only to wallow in mediocrity for multiple seasons after has me very worried about more of the same

So far I like the prospects benning has brought in. We have 3 top 10 draft picks, among with boeser who could better than all of them. Gudbrandson was also a high pick. I like our young core going forward, and I expect we will have at least 1-2 more top 10 picks in the next few years. The one thing that I haven't likes about benning, is the mistakes he has made. The whole hamhuis/vrbata scenario at the deadline, the tampering, the lack of knowledge of the cba. He finally managed to pull off a trade where the Canucks didn't get hosed when we grabbed gudbrandson. I like the look of our team and the value of our prospects, but I feel that he has shot himself in the foot when it comes to dealing with gms around the league. 

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I do not believe that ownership hasn't told them to do certain things.

And if ownership has in fact directed either JB or TL to do or not do certain things?

Isn't it their club to do with what they want? 

Yes, I am still on board with the Linden/Benning regime.  I do disagree with some of their moves, however the drafting seems very good overall.  The thing about having a GM that's good at drafting is that it can take a long time to build a competitive team.  Is ownership comfortable waiting for these players to mature?

I believe in the route being taken, not to say that I enjoy all the choices made so far. The Media for what ever reason are promoting the burn to the ground approach ( mainly because that's what's been sold in TO ... there fore it must be right ) Some teams can rebuild as they go and I'd like to think Detroits play-off record, making the play-offs years in succession is an example while the Oilers burn to the ground approach total failure. Vcr has realized they'll likely never see first line players the likes of the Sedins again for years so they're trying and it's the right thing to do IMO

23 minutes ago, Canuckler87 said:

Hey everyone, I rarely start topics but wanted to gauge how fellow canucks fans felt about this.

Now, post the destruction of the 2011 core, I was among those who called for a full scale rebuild. I was of the mind that it's tear everything down and start over.

However, seeing the Oilers fail to make the playoffs with a upstart young core has greatly changed my mind. They clearly have nobody on that roster that knows how to win and lead! Nevertheless, they have also been grossly mismanaged.

Point is, I now believe in what GMJB is doing. He inherited a mess yet added/developed young pieces such as Hutton, Horvat, Virtanen, Juolevi, Demko among others. This while also making the playoffs one year and giving someone like Horvat a taste of what it takes to get there and compete.

Even the most negative haters have to admit our future is brighter than before Benning took over. I also believe that having leaders and relatively young players like gudbranson come in and help the Sedins out in terms of leadership and pushing young guys to be better will pay off. It's not like we haven't been getting high draft picks either. Horvat, Virtanen and Juolevi all went in the top ten.

For these reasons I am on board with what management has been doing. Wanted to gauge what others thought. Opinions?

Hutton has played one season.

horvat was already on the roster when he came.

demko has yet to play an NHL game.

juolevi has yet to play an NHL game..

why don't you hype tryamkin while we're at it?

i get the idea behind this thread but you gave some weird reasons. All you did was point out the clubs best looking prospects....any gm could put that together with the picks they had and arguably more...

i dont like like how him benning traded shinkaruk and McCann seeing how we lack offence now and in the future. He solidified that fact drafting juloevi rather then tkachuk who is now destined to feast on us probably for a decade along side gaudreau and Monahan. There will be a lot of unhappy people in van city of this happens.

4 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

If Benning can continue the way he's drafting while making the playoffs, I'm definetly on board.

That's just it! All the pundits and fans using the "this team has no direction" argument need to open their eyes. The direction has been made blatantly obvious.

TL and JB have said from the start that we are going to get younger while staying competitive by drafting well. Every move we've made has been consistent with that idea. I have no reason at this point to not have confidence in the team. 

not everyone will agree with what they are doing...but imo stripping your team of all leaders so rookies can play is a sure way of crippling your team and your players...being competitive while the new core is built makes more sense to me...benning and crew are trying to build a winner here...i for one applaud what they are trying to do...

Archived