The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) We Need To Think Fast Before Losing A Great Player For Nothing!!!

Thinking ahead to the expansion draft has me wondering what we should do. Let's look at the roster and see whose exempt...

CENTERS

*H. Sedin - NMC

*B. Sutter

*B. Horvat

*M. Granlund

B. Gaunce

WINGERS

*D. Sedin - NMC

*L. Eriksson - NMC

J. Hansen

*S. Baertschi

A. Burrows 

^J. Virtanen 

A. Rodin

D. Dorsett

A. Grenier

DEFENCE

*A. Edler

*C. Tanev

^B. Hutton 

*E. Gudbranson

^N. Tryamkin 

L. Sbisa

A. Pedan

P. Larsen

A. Biega

GOALIES

R. Miller 

*J. Markstrom

* TEAM PROTECTED

^ EXEMPT

EXPOSED 

So these players will be exposed:

Gaunce

Hansen

Burrows

Rodin

Dorsett

Grenier

Sbisa 

Pedan

Larsen

Biega

Miller

Benning wants a big physical top 6 FWD that can score. If we taget a 1st or 2nd year pro we don't have to worry about it affecting our protection list. However, if we do infact target Kane or Landeskog they will deffiently have to be protected. So maybe try and use one of the above protected guys in the proposal to balance the effect.

LANDESKOG: I would go for Granlund but that may not be a big enough piece to throw a decent enough package together. So let's up the ante and send them Baertschi. Obviously this won't be enough so let's now look at some exposed players that would add good value. 4 names pop out to me, Gaunce, Hansen, Rodin, and Sbisa. I say 2-3 of them added with Baertschi and maybe a 2ND should get it done. They are also shopping Barrie so maybe we swing some kind of blockbuster and acquire both stars. Again that gets tricky because we have 3 D already needing protection (Tanev/Edler/Gud). The Avs are and offensively gifted team in desperate need of an elite shutdown Dman. Oh wait we have one in Tanev and he is also on a very good cap hit, and it fits with the plan for the expansion. So looking at this possibility I came up with a couple proposals.

TO VAN

Landeskog

TO COL

Baertschi

Hansen/Rodin

Sbisa/Gaunce

2nd/3rd

TO VAN

Barrie

TO COL

Tanev

Subban/Stecher

4th/5th

Kane wouldn't take much if we went that route. He will have to be protected so we will look at someone on our protected list to trade for him with to balance it out. Baertschi is an overpayment, so what about Granlund? I think a straight up would work but if needed I'd add a B level prospect + mid round pick.

TO VAN

Kane

TO BUF

Granlund

Grenier

3rd/4th

I say go hard for one of these 2 and then sell off as many valuable exposed assets for futures as we can. Obviously not all of them as we can only lose 1 player, but just do our best so we don't lose a player like Gaunce, Rodin, Sbisa, or Hansen for nothing.

This expansion draft is going to lead us to some exciting trades for the next little while. I'm actually excited to see what kind of effect it has on our rebuild. We already got Gudbranson pretty cheap so you know there will be more "what the heck deals" going on. Hall for Larsson, Subban for Weber... it's going to be fun :)

If we swing a Landeskog and Barrie trade and also the Kane one this is our future projected line up

Landeskog Horvat Boeser

Kane Sutter Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX

Juolevi Gudbranson

Tryamkin Barrie

Hutton XXXXX

Demko

XXXXX

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So...the cap comes in to play when?

Throw in Burrows and add a pick or 2 to clear the cap. He only has 1 year left on his deal so I'm sure he's movable. Datsyuk was. I will admit I never did the #s but I did briefly go over the caps when I read this comment and it don't seem it would be hard to make the above work.

That's not a bad list of unprotected players.

Other teams will have much more attractive exposed players and since the loss will be league-wide I don't think it will affect us too much. Might be some strategerie in leaving some players exposed. 

Gaunce - would suck to lose but not the end of the world

Hansen - depending on how the season goes he may be an attractive TDL offer to contending teams

Burrows - he will be a ufa so who cares.

Rodin - may just end up back in Europe, if he plays exceptionally he will be protected.

Dorsett - please please please take him and his contract!

Grenier - same as gaunce

Sbisa - if he plays to his contract he may be a piece LV wants who knows but I doubt it.

Pedan - Big but really isn't likely to be a target unless he has a breakout season

Larsen - Could turn out great and I hope he does but cross that bridge and worry about it if that is the case

Biega - worried about expansion draft, I think we might just lose this guy on waivers. 

Miller - Ufa who cares... hopefully they want and take miller. This will be his last year as a Canuck either way IMO. 

2 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

Throw in Burrows and add a pick or 2 to clear the cap. He only has 1 year left on his deal so I'm sure he's movable. Datsyuk was. I will admit I never did the #s but I did briefly go over the caps when I read this comment and it don't seem it would be hard to make the above work.

Sooo...we're just assuming someone is going to take $4+ million in cap just because?

K

Even IF we manage to lose Burrows we need to deal with barrie's Arbitration award amount which will be a damned site higher than the $2.6 million he just got being a 50 point D man, Kanes $5.25 million and Landeskog's $5.5 million.

So...to sum up you're adding most likely upwards of $16+ million for the loss of about $11 even with Burrows being added in...not happening

44 minutes ago, McHortanen said:

Thinking ahead to the expansion draft has me wondering what we should do. Let's look at the roster and see whose exempt...

CENTERS

*H. Sedin - NMC

*B. Sutter

*B. Horvat

*M. Granlund

B. Gaunce

WINGERS

*D. Sedin - NMC

*L. Eriksson - NMC

J. Hansen

*S. Baertschi

A. Burrows 

^J. Virtanen 

A. Rodin

D. Dorsett

A. Grenier

DEFENCE

*A. Edler

*C. Tanev

^B. Hutton 

*E. Gudbranson

^N. Tryamkin 

L. Sbisa

A. Pedan

P. Larsen

A. Biega

GOALIES

R. Miller 

*J. Markstrom

* TEAM PROTECTED

^ EXEMPT

EXPOSED 

So these players will be exposed:

Gaunce

Hansen

Burrows

Rodin

Dorsett

Grenier

Sbisa 

Pedan

Larsen

Biega

Miller

Miller isn't an eligible goalie for us to expose because he's entering UFA status for 2017-18. We'll need to qualify Bachman (who will be an RFA) or get another expansion draft eligible goalie.

I would way rather protect Hansen over Granlund. Hansen is worth so much more and Grandlund is easily replaceable by Gaunce. 

I would even protect Etem over Granlund. Everyone is so high on Granlund because he will forever be linked to Shinkaruk... such a sad day that trade was.

9 minutes ago, Nessnuck27 said:

I would way rather protect Hansen over Granlund. Hansen is worth so much more and Grandlund is easily replaceable by Gaunce. 

I would even protect Etem over Granlund. Everyone is so high on Granlund because he will forever be linked to Shinkaruk... such a sad day that trade was.

Hansen will be 31. He won't be a part of this team for too much longer. Why use a protection spot on him? I'd use it on Gaunce over Granlund, but I'd use it on either player over Hansen at this point in their careers. 

Tanev

Subban

Hansen

Burrows

Boeser

Gaunce

2017 First Round Pick(16-24 Overall)

2017 Second Round Pick(36-44 Overall)

Landeskog

Barrie

Meloche

2017 Second Round Pick(30-45 Overall)

2017 Fifth Round Pick(150-165 Overall)

:ph34r:
Colorado only has one right side defender signed right now(excluding Barrie), and they also get Boeser who is probably play on Jost`s line in ND. This gives us more scoring 

Starting Line-Up

Sedin-Sedin-Eriksson

Landeskog-Sutter-Rodin

Bartschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Etem-Granlund-Dorsett

Edler-Gudbranson

Hutton-Larsen

Tryamkin-Barrie

Miller

Markstrom

Honestly,  I'm more concerned about losing Green to Vegas than I am any fringe players.

Coaches make more overall impact on an expansion team than the types of players teams leave exposed imo. 

19 hours ago, Aladeen said:

That's not a bad list of unprotected players.

Other teams will have much more attractive exposed players and since the loss will be league-wide I don't think it will affect us too much. Might be some strategerie in leaving some players exposed. 

Gaunce - would suck to lose but not the end of the world

Hansen - depending on how the season goes he may be an attractive TDL offer to contending teams

Burrows - he will be a ufa so who cares.

Rodin - may just end up back in Europe, if he plays exceptionally he will be protected.

Dorsett - please please please take him and his contract!

Grenier - same as gaunce

Sbisa - if he plays to his contract he may be a piece LV wants who knows but I doubt it.

Pedan - Big but really isn't likely to be a target unless he has a breakout season

Larsen - Could turn out great and I hope he does but cross that bridge and worry about it if that is the case

Biega - worried about expansion draft, I think we might just lose this guy on waivers. 

Miller - Ufa who cares... hopefully they want and take miller. This will be his last year as a Canuck either way IMO. 

just adding on to here.

Larsen is UFA... he's not going to be taken... 

Hansen is UFA after the next year, I doubt LV will take him for a single year contract...

Gaunce / Rodin / Grenier / Sbisa / Pedan / Granlund -- Expansion rules are meant to sting, LV will get their crack of one of these young pieces.. does it suck? sorta.. not really lol. Protect the best producing / promising prospect and let LV take one of them.. No big deal.

also OPs Barrie trade has nothing to do with the expansion draft... You trade Tanev out for Barrie that's net 0 in terms of the expansion draft...

Archived