The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) We Need To Think Fast Before Losing A Great Player For Nothing!!!

20 hours ago, Kelly Green said:

i don't think tryamkin or hutton will be exempt after playing 2 seasons ?

i can see one of our d  being traded at some 'point if this is true

They haven't made it completely clear as far as the definition of 2yr pro.  We are in pretty good shape regardless.

It will make a huge difference to our protected list, we could even end up opting for the 8 total skaters to protect 4D.  It will be defence that are the most valuable after expansion as many teams will have lost a top 4 guy.  Any forward lost in expansion is probably replaceable in free agency.

I have no big heartache with Sutter being exposed assuming Horvat is ready for full-time 2nd line duties after next season. 

21 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So...the cap comes in to play when?

Right after every team accepts a bundle of our failed prospects for some of their top players. I mean this thread is total farce so why worry about the cap!

On 7/6/2016 at 5:49 PM, Hortankin said:

Thinking ahead to the expansion draft has me wondering what we should do. Let's look at the roster and see whose exempt...

CENTERS

*H. Sedin - NMC

*B. Sutter

*B. Horvat

*M. Granlund

B. Gaunce

WINGERS

*D. Sedin - NMC

*L. Eriksson - NMC

J. Hansen

*S. Baertschi

A. Burrows 

^J. Virtanen 

A. Rodin

D. Dorsett

A. Grenier

DEFENCE

*A. Edler

*C. Tanev

^B. Hutton 

*E. Gudbranson

^N. Tryamkin 

L. Sbisa

A. Pedan

P. Larsen

A. Biega

GOALIES

R. Miller 

*J. Markstrom

* TEAM PROTECTED

^ EXEMPT

EXPOSED 

So these players will be exposed:

Gaunce

Hansen

Burrows

Rodin

Dorsett

Grenier

Sbisa 

Pedan

Larsen

Biega

Miller

Benning wants a big physical top 6 FWD that can score. If we taget a 1st or 2nd year pro we don't have to worry about it affecting our protection list. However, if we do infact target Kane or Landeskog they will deffiently have to be protected. So maybe try and use one of the above protected guys in the proposal to balance the effect.

LANDESKOG: I would go for Granlund but that may not be a big enough piece to throw a decent enough package together. So let's up the ante and send them Baertschi. Obviously this won't be enough so let's now look at some exposed players that would add good value. 4 names pop out to me, Gaunce, Hansen, Rodin, and Sbisa. I say 2-3 of them added with Baertschi and maybe a 2ND should get it done. They are also shopping Barrie so maybe we swing some kind of blockbuster and acquire both stars. Again that gets tricky because we have 3 D already needing protection (Tanev/Edler/Gud). The Avs are and offensively gifted team in desperate need of an elite shutdown Dman. Oh wait we have one in Tanev and he is also on a very good cap hit, and it fits with the plan for the expansion. So looking at this possibility I came up with a couple proposals.

TO VAN

Landeskog

TO COL

Baertschi

Hansen/Rodin

Sbisa/Gaunce

2nd/3rd

TO VAN

Barrie

TO COL

Tanev

Subban/Stecher

4th/5th

Kane wouldn't take much if we went that route. He will have to be protected so we will look at someone on our protected list to trade for him with to balance it out. Baertschi is an overpayment, so what about Granlund? I think a straight up would work but if needed I'd add a B level prospect + mid round pick.

TO VAN

Kane

TO BUF

Granlund

Grenier

3rd/4th

I say go hard for one of these 2 and then sell off as many valuable exposed assets for futures as we can. Obviously not all of them as we can only lose 1 player, but just do our best so we don't lose a player like Gaunce, Rodin, Sbisa, or Hansen for nothing.

This expansion draft is going to lead us to some exciting trades for the next little while. I'm actually excited to see what kind of effect it has on our rebuild. We already got Gudbranson pretty cheap so you know there will be more "what the heck deals" going on. Hall for Larsson, Subban for Weber... it's going to be fun :)

I'm glad that somebody brought this topic up for discussion, it is something to consider with Vegas joining our division, and what players we could loose as a result.  At this point I don't think we have much to worry about, Benning will likely leave players whose cap hits don't match up with their current production (ie Burrows, hate to see him go though) possibly Sbisa but maybe not considering we still have a dearth of defenseman unless Oli pans out quicker than expected.  I think Vegas will be after teams with deeper line-ups (Ie CHI, PITT, ) who have third liners who play good enough to be second liners.   I like that you made some proposals, again quantity doesn't equal quality but I do the same thing whenever I think about who we could get (and Kane, Landeskog continue to garner interest in the CDC given that supposedly they are been shopped now) the pieces are hard to get right.  Thanks for the post!

Archived