The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More Than 60 People Shot In Chicago Over July 4th Weekend

SabreFan1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

It went from 14 to 10 to 5 in last three years, presence of 5000 police officers helped reduce murders this weekend.

As long as we have some 600 gangs with around 70 000 members, these numbers won't go down.

We can't blame cops and politicians for every murder, eventually communities and people need to step up and take responsibility.

Agree with the red part whole heartedly.  As to the blue, I don't blame the cops.  I blame Rahm Emmanuel for blaming the law year after year for his ineffectiveness.

As to the black sentences in the quote:

The grim violence in Chicago, which has recorded 329 homicides already this year ...........  Chicago, which has tallied more homicides than New York and Los Angeles combined so far this year.

When a city is destroying itself faster than both NYC and LA combined, people in power need to be held responsible.

2 minutes ago, Grapefruits said:

So hard to believe considering Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in America.

Sarcasm? 

Tough gun laws in one city don't help much when the criminals easily bring them in from elsewhere outside of the city and state.

4 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Agree with the red part whole heartedly.  As to the blue, I don't blame the cops.  I blame Rahm Emmanuel for blaming the law year after year for his ineffectiveness.

As to the black sentences in the quote:

When a city is destroying itself faster than both NYC and LA combined, people in power need to be held responsible.

I am not a fan of the mayor but Chicago has always had crime issues no matter who the mayor was.

Back in 1974  there were 971 homicides in the city, even back in 1920's there were around 400 homicides per year in the city.

The only thing that changed is that victims back in 20's were mostly Italian and Irish, and today it's mostly blacks.

Sad to say but I don't think that anything will change soon.

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I am not a fan of the mayor but Chicago has always had crime issues no matter who the mayor was.

Back in 1974  there were 971 homicides in the city, even back in 1920's there were around 400 homicides per year in the city.

The only thing that changed is that victims back in 20's were mostly Italian and Irish, and today it's mostly blacks.

Sad to say but I don't think that anything will change soon.

I've seen the documentaries on Chicago's violent history.  It doesn't excuse the current leaders.  If there is no concrete plan to stem the tide in a resonable amount of time, new blood (no pun intended) is needed at city hall and elsewhere inside the city.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I've seen the documentaries on Chicago's violent history.  It doesn't excuse the current leaders.  If there is no concrete plan to stem the tide in a resonable amount of time, new blood (no pun intended) is needed at city hall and elsewhere inside the city.

I don't disagree with you or oppose the new faces in Chicago, but for the last 100 years little has changed.

Wish I could say I was optimistic.

I was in Chicago during the July 4th Weekend 2 years ago. I went to a white sox game and I swear I heard at least 4-5 gunshots over the course of the game. Lucky my family and I found a cab, not a place you want to be after dark.

Edit: Its a shame that chicago gets such a bad rap, because honestly it is one of my favourite places that I have visited.

7 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

I was in Chicago during the July 4th Weekend 2 years ago. I went to a white sox game and I swear I heard at least 4-5 gunshots over the course of the game. Lucky my family and I found a cab, not a place you want to be after dark.

Edit: Its a shame that chicago gets such a bad rap, because honestly it is one of my favourite places that I have visited.

South side is pretty rough, I am a Sox fan but to be honest I don't enjoy going down there too much.

Bridgeport is OK but around it there are some bad areas.

Archived