The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Review?

Adarsh Sant

i like what benning has done. mainly on our futures stars. he's even given alot of so-so players a chance to play on this team. and if they were'nt a fit or perform well enough, then he just let's them loose and doesn't stay tied down to any of them. the only trade that bugged me was the shinkaruk one. i really wanted to see this guy play a full nhl season with us (for good or bad).

hopefully we get into the playoffs next year. i really like how our team is looking and this is really the first year benning has his type of players in the line-up starting from october. nomore washed up players from gillis except for a few.

The reality of the situation is the Nucks mortgaged its future on 2011 and lost for various gut wrenching reasons. Despite still paying for this "load-up", JB and Trevor seem to be finding a way to add decent pieces and instill hope in each season. I remember being pumped last year for a while until the injuries. This year I feel the same way but less concerned about injuries with a tougher team. The window is still cracked open for a few years so expect more of the same until the twins fully secumb.

7/10 

Haha.  Some interesting responses.

Benning has been nothing short of spectacular. Sure he could've got a 3rd rounder for Hamhuis at the deadline but if you really understand that whole situation/scenario then JB made the right call.  

Lets keep in mind that ownership desperately wants post season hockey.  Benning is working with ownerships blueprint all the while having very limited assets to work with.

Personally I have 3 favorite Benning trades.

1. Garrison and his term, gone.

2. Sven is such a slick player.  He's so fun to watch on and away from the puck.

3. Big mean Gudbransen.  A few less crease scrums in front of our net this year.  Opponents know.

Also a fan of the Sutter trade.  Unfortunately injuries have delayed a payout.

Loved the no nonsense Kesler trade.  "What, you don't want to be here?"  Okay, wham.  Gone fast.

Bennings drafting has been awesome.

Love Benning.  He's doing an anazing job while under the microscope in a very defined blueprint from ownership.  Our next best signing would be to extend Trader Jim for the long haul.

Benning is #1.

Benning's been caught between a rock and a hard place since day one. He's had to make a lot of unpopular moves to create change.

The one thing I respect most about Benning is the fact that he's not afraid to make those unpopular moves to improve the team. Whether his moves ultimately pan out or not, at least the guy is actively working to address the team's needs. We could have a GM who sits on his hands and does nothing.

He's doing a great job! Will be interesting to revisit this thread this time next year.

On Gudbransen trade.

Ask yourself this.  Pretend for a moment that you're a Canuck and you're in the dressing room lacing up your skates before a big game.  

You look beside you and see big Gudbransen with his game face on. Does that make you play a little bigger and meaner out there yourself? Does it give you a little boost of confidence or make you feel good about your chances?

No disrespect to McCann at all.  It's not his fault he is a rookie and I really like McCann.  I really hope he excels and I'll continue to watch for him.

My point is Benning's been told to make the playoffs.  Whether you like it or not, if you wanted a full rebuild its just not ownerships mandate.

So for those who don't like the McCann/Gudbransen trade, ask yourself who you'd rather go into battle with knowing you're gunning for the playoffs?

Aferall, we didn't lose Taylor Hall.

Benning rebuilding this team quickly and the younger, faster, meaner and skillful team has me excited.

14 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Jim Benning joined the Canucks on May 23, 2014. It has been over 2 years since then and he has made many trades, acquisitions and moves. Obviously 2 years isn't a whole lot of time to retool a franchise, but how do you think he's done overall? If you had to grade him out of 10 what would it be? Favourite trade? Least favourite? 

I'd give him a 8.5/ 10

My favourite trade has to be the Mcann Gudbranson trade.

My least favourite trade is the Kesler trade, but I understand Benning didn't have a lot to work with.

Call me crazy but I give him a 9.5. He has done a tremendous job and all the people who don't believe me will after they see this team play next year.

Favorite trade? There are many.

McCann for Gudbranson 

Bonino/Clendenin for Sutter

2nd for Baertschi

Least favourite trade?

Shinkaruk for Granlund

Side note. That Kesler trade ultimately turned into Sutter and Gudbranson. It was great asset management by Benning. Great job GMJB!

Keep on keeping on!

1 minute ago, McHortanen said:

Call me crazy but I give him a 9.5. He has done a tremendous job and all the people who don't believe me will after they see this team play next year.

OK, sure, you're crazy feel better now

15 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Jim Benning joined the Canucks on May 23, 2014. It has been over 2 years since then and he has made many trades, acquisitions and moves. Obviously 2 years isn't a whole lot of time to retool a franchise, but how do you think he's done overall? If you had to grade him out of 10 what would it be? Favourite trade? Least favourite? 

I'd give him a 8.5/ 10

My favourite trade has to be the Mcann Gudbranson trade.

My least favourite trade is the Kesler trade, but I understand Benning didn't have a lot to work with.

I agree, I think he has done a good job so far and his work will look even better in 2 years. I find it funny why so many people continue to claim Benning does not have a plan (or that the plan is unclear - to be fair mostly TSN employees haha). I get that many believe the team should break everything down and rebuild but that is a lot different than not having a clear plan (a claim Benning is constantly accused of).

From my perspective, Benning isn't trying to speed up the process just to speed up the process, he is attempting to build a solid foundation of 21 to 27-year-old players. That foundation will then serve as the supporting cast to the next generation of high end players Benning is confident he can pick in the draft. I love his confidence when it comes to drafting (because drafting is what determines success or failure) and have no problem with his methods so far.

I think it is important to consider where the Canucks were two years ago. It is also important to understand that more often than not GMs need to overpay to get NHL players and Benning (over the last two years) has been in a position where he has needed NHL players...as time goes on, he won't need to overpay anymore because there won't be a massive void of players in that key age bracket (the 21 to 27 age range). Most importantly he won't have to overpay to retain culture guys like Sbisa and Dorsett.

I think it is also important to note that it will be a lot easier to move players in the 25 to 29-year-old age range compared to the 31+ year-olds that made up the roster when Benning took over (i.e. Benning will have a lot more flexibility in the upcoming years). Plus that depth will allow the new draft picks to develop at the right speed...won't need to rush them if they are not ready.

Benning is slowly but surely building the foundation for the next generation of Canucks and if they can get into the playoffs on a regular basis, then who knows...regardless, hopefully it is a fun ride.

8.5/10

What he has done in the last 2 years is incredible and very tough. He has refilled our prospect pool with great young talents, and he has made the average age of the team WAY younger. He started off quite rocky but he learned from his past signings and used his new knowledge. Recently, he has made brilliant moves, getting Gudbranson a proven top-4 D-man in exchange for an unknown player in McCann and 2 gamble (2nd round pick, 4th round pick). He has signed well recently (Markstrom the most recent), and his drafting was great from the start. He wants to rebuild the team with a winning culture and experienced vets who are selfless and do everything for the team (Sedins, Burr). I think were gonna surprise next season.

13 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

8.5/10

What he has done in the last 2 years is incredible and very tough. He has refilled our prospect pool with great young talents, and he has made the average age of the team WAY younger. He started off quite rocky but he learned from his past signings and used his new knowledge. Recently, he has made brilliant moves, getting Gudbranson a proven top-4 D-man in exchange for an unknown player in McCann and 2 gamble (2nd round pick, 4th round pick). He has signed well recently (Markstrom the most recent), and his drafting was great from the start. He wants to rebuild the team with a winning culture and experienced vets who are selfless and do everything for the team (Sedins, Burr). I think were gonna surprise next season.

Average age 2013/2014 season:  27.5

Average age 2016/2017 season:  28.2

I guess 28 is WAY younger than 27 in your world? 

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2017

8 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

If you count out the aging vets that were 3 years younger in 2013-14, it'll be a different result.

True, if you don't count the old players.. the team looks young.  Wow, we shouldn't count losses either, then we'll be undefeated. 

What kind of stupid argument is this?  Just admit you're 100% wrong, the team is now older than the one Benning took over. 

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

True, if you don't count the old players.. the team looks young.  Wow, we shouldn't count losses either, then we'll be undefeated. 

What kind of stupid argument is this?  Just admit you're 100% wrong, the team is now older than the one Benning took over. 

Not ALL the old players. Man, you're like a stuck-up kid desperate to win an argument because you've lost over and over. Admit this team has gotten younger OUTSIDE of the 2011 core (Sedins, Burrows, Edler).

15 hours ago, Bertuzzi44ever said:

3/10.

we have to rate on results not potential and even if we did that there isn't much to go on.

this team has absolutely no future elite talent unless demko, juolevi and boeser all go to plan and then better then expected but what are the chances of that happening.

his trades are not very good.

and for all the praise of his drafting skills it remains to be seen.

Judge by results? Why not wait until the season plays out and then judge by those results, considering JB only had a little over two years so far to change the team into his team. 
Remember the Tortorella season? I do and I whole heartedly believe he has turned this thing in the right direction. 

7.5/10 with optimism for that number to increase over the next couple of seasons. 

9 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Lol I think he was trying to say that the sedins and miller (honorable mention to burrows) spike/skew the average age number and that the rest of the current team is not in their prime years yet or right in the beginning/middle of them. Which is a far cry from the 2013/2014 team. Not a stupid argument at all. For what my opinion is worth anyway. 

14 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

6 million for a past his prime vet goalie

3.6 million for a 3rd pairing D

This is nothing new with this management. 

Maybe stick with rugby. I give ya the Sbisa contract but the Miller one made sense at the time because Markstrom was unproven but the whole reason Millers looks bad now is because Markstrom did prove himself last season which justfies his new contract. You seem to fixate on the negatives and ignore the positives in your posts today.

2/10 for you my friend.   

29 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Not ALL the old players. Man, you're like a stuck-up kid desperate to win an argument because you've lost over and over. Admit this team has gotten younger OUTSIDE of the 2011 core (Sedins, Burrows, Edler).

The quote was "he has made the average age of the team WAY younger".   

Age then.  27.

Age now.  28.

Now that the facts are presented and you're 100% wrong, you want to talk specific players instead of the whole team. 

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

The quote was "he has made the average age of the team WAY younger".   

Age then.  27.

Age now.  28.

Now that the facts are presented and you're 100% wrong, you want to talk specific players instead of the whole team. 

Where's your source for this? I want to see it.

Archived