The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Review?

Adarsh Sant

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

The quote was "he has made the average age of the team WAY younger".   

Age then.  27.

Age now.  28.

Now that the facts are presented and you're 100% wrong, you want to talk specific players instead of the whole team. 

I meant in my original post the team around the 2011 players has gotten younger. When they are gone the average age will drop significantly.

3 minutes ago, davydgoliath said:

Maybe stick with rugby. I give ya the Sbisa contract but the Miller one made sense at the time because Markstrom was unproven but the whole reason Millers looks bad now is because Markstrom did prove himself last season which justfies his new contract. You seem to fixate on the negatives and ignore the positives in your posts today.

2/10 for you my friend.   

No the Miller signing was bad because Vancouver should have been rebuilding instead of throwing money at expensive free agents that cost them a good draft position.  Vancouver should have been going for McDavid instead of getting embarrassed by Calgary in the 1st round.

Miller in Vancouver

46 wins - 49 losses

.914 SV%

2.6 GAA

Is that worth $6,000,000? 

15 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

2/10

Set this team back years by trading away draft picks and letting assets either wither away or leave as free agents.  Refuses to rebuild.  Doing the old school Maple Leafs move and trying to keep a crappy team afloat through free agency. 

the team has blue chip prospects at every position and numerous lesser known prospects that are charting upwards; in short, unprecedented franchise depth in only 3 drafts, but in your mind he's failing at the draft?  i'm choked they let hamius walk, and jb does look bad here, but it's hardly a mortal sin.  

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Where's your source for this? I want to see it.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2017

Last stat on the very bottom:  Average age of team

You can go year by year.  Actually that website only goes back to the 07/08 season and looking at all the years posted there, this is the OLDEST Canuck team on record. 

6 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

The quote was "he has made the average age of the team WAY younger".   

Age then.  27.

Age now.  28.

Now that the facts are presented and you're 100% wrong, you want to talk specific players instead of the whole team. 

You are arguing semantics here bud. Out are aging/declining players past their prime like Bieksa, hamhuis, Kesler and higgins. In are players like Baertschi, Sutter and Gudbranson supplemented with youth and potential like Hutton, Virtanen and Tryamkin. Try to wrap your head around that. It's significant. 

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

You can go year by year.

The problem with that stat is it's also including Luongo, Ballard, and Higgins and, as they age each year, brings up the overall age.

Instead, I recommend this site: http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/vancouver-canucks-players-2011-12-nhl-stats.html

There's 2011-12. If you move up to last season, you'll see the average age has gone down.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

Average age 2013/2014 season:  27.5

Average age 2016/2017 season:  28.2

I guess 28 is WAY younger than 27 in your world? 

I find it strange that you count the 2013/2014 season and then skip to the 2016/2017 season that hasn't even happened yet and therefore the average age is still to be determined. Using the link that you provided the average age for the Canucks over the past three seasons has been as follows:

2013/2014 season - 27.56

2014/2015 season - 27.68

2015/2016 season - 27.45

Based on this, I would conclude that the Canucks are indeed younger than when Benning arrived. If the average age includes all of the bolded players listed for the 2016/2017 season the the ages would be skewed by including youngsters like Prust, higgins and Vrbata.

3 minutes ago, davydgoliath said:

You are arguing semantics here bud. Out are aging/declining players past their prime like Bieksa, hamhuis, Kesler and higgins. In are players like Baertschi, Sutter and Gudbranson supplemented with youth and potential like Hutton, Virtanen and Tryamkin. Try to wrap your head around that. It's significant. 

No, I'm arguing numbers.  Is 28 way younger than 27?  That was exactly what was claimed, that the team is WAY younger.

Every single team in every sport in the world drops old players for young ones.  What's your point.  Vancouver has gotten older under Benning.  That's just a fact.  The oldest this team has been in at least 9 years. 

You say Kesler, who we got rid of when he was 29 or 30 is past his prime.  But we add Erikkson 30, Sutter 27, Dorsett 29, Prust 29, Miller 35 and they're not past their prime?  OK.  Also Benning gets no credit for Hutton, he didn't draft him. 

Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and others have a prospect pool that puts ours to shame.  This team isn't younger, it hasn't been stockpiling draft picks and doesn't have a true future star on the roster.  Try to wrap your head around that.  It's significant. 

22 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

No the Miller signing was bad because Vancouver should have been rebuilding instead of throwing money at expensive free agents that cost them a good draft position.  Vancouver should have been going for McDavid instead of getting embarrassed by Calgary in the 1st round.

Miller in Vancouver

46 wins - 49 losses

.914 SV%

2.6 GAA

I get it now. Tank to get high draft picks or nothing. I guess its simply a philosophical difference of opinion here so no real point in debating. 

I guess only time will tell who's right the rebuilders or the retoolers. 

Cheers

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

No, I'm arguing numbers.  Is 28 way younger than 27?  That was exactly what was claimed, that the team is WAY younger.

Every single team in every sport in the world drops old players for young ones.  What's your point.  Vancouver has gotten older under Benning.  That's just a fact.  The oldest this team has been in at least 9 years. 

You say Kesler, who we got rid of when he was 29 or 30 is past his prime.  But we add Erikkson 30, Sutter 27, Dorsett 29, Prust 29, Miller 35 and they're not past their prime?  OK.  Also Benning gets no credit for Hutton, he didn't draft him. 

Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and others have a prospect pool that puts ours to shame.  This team isn't younger, it hasn't been stockpiling draft picks and doesn't have a true future star on the roster.  Try to wrap your head around that.  It's significant. 

Well I just told you why your statistics are actually invalid and how it's not actually 28 (due to contracts of players we no longer have). I'm going to assume you hadn't read  my post yet when you posted this?

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Read Lock's reply. Your  numbers are as skewed as your interpretation of the first guy saying the team is younger now.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Well I just told you why your statistics are actually invalid and how it's not actually 28 (due to contracts of players we no longer have). I'm going to assume you hadn't read  my post yet when you posted this?

No list is perfect, if you have a better one post it.  The one you posted includes guys like Shinkaruk who played 1 game, which brings the age down.  Even going by your list... the team went from 27.1 month to 26.11 months (to last year).  With no stats for this year.  Even by your website the team has gotten a grand total of 2 months younger on average.  So my original reply is still correct, this team hasn't gotten WAY younger under Benning.   

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

No list is perfect, if you have a better one post it.  The one you posted includes guys like Shinkaruk who played 1 game, which brings the age down.  Even going by your list... the team went from 27.1 month to 26.11 months (to last year).  With no stats for this year.  Even by your website the team has gotten a grand total of 2 months younger on average.  So my original reply is still correct, this team hasn't gotten WAY younger under Benning.   

I did post it....

28 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think what he has done is taken the team from one that has no depth and longevity to one that does.

We now have

Sedin 35 Sedin 35 burrows 35

Dorsett 29 Hansen 30 Eriksson 30

Sutter 27 Rodin 25 Etem 24

Baertschi 23 Granlund 23 Gaunce 22

Horvat 21 Virtanen 19

Edler 30  Tanev 26

Hutton 23  Gudbranson 24

Tryamkin 21 Larsen 25

Biega 28 Sbisa 26

Miller 36

Markstrom 26

Demko 21

All of these players will be contributers to our team this year and as the Sedins and burrows move out there is room for Boeser, Gaudette, Cassels, and any new draft picks or ufa's can take their place.  As Edler and Biega move on Juolevi, Stecher, Subban, Brisebois, etc... or draft picks or ufa's can take their place.   With a layered team like this, there is much less concern about loading up or tanking.  We just stay the course, try to win every year and reload the next year.

They are building a good culture with good players and good people.  The value to the organization of having the Sedin's Burrows, Miller, Dorsett and Hamhuis has been invaluable to get them to this point where they have a large number of younger players now who have some experience but understand how to be a professional and a teammate.  This is a long term plan, something that many gm's have trouble envisioning.  Edmonton would have loved to have some real leadership for their young players, but they sent Yakupov, Schultz, RNH, Eberle, Hall to the wolves and they are worse for it.  I like Benning's plan as I see it and, it will never work perfectly, it will have some bumps (these are people we are dealing with) but his plan is sustainable and that is good if you are a real fan who wants to root for your team every game every year. 

41 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

You can go year by year.  Actually that website only goes back to the 07/08 season and looking at all the years posted there, this is the OLDEST Canuck team on record. 

Check that list again..,and Higgins,Prust and Vrbata are still on that list...They will no longer be on the team next season..makes the list irrelevant...

1 minute ago, Honky Cat said:

Check that list again..,and Higgins,Prust and Vrbata are still on that list...They will no longer be on the team next season..makes the list irrelevant...

As no roster is set there are no real lists for this year.  So go by last year's lineup.  Still older than when Benning got here.  If any new youngsters make the team it will bring the age down.  But all our vets and now Eriksson bring the age up. 

10 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

As no roster is set there are no real lists for this year.  So go by last year's lineup.  Still older than when Benning got here.  If any new youngsters make the team it will bring the age down.  But all our vets and now Eriksson bring the age up. 

Vrbata (35),Higgins (33),Prust (32) are all on that list along with Eriksson..Maybe wait till the season starts to make your call..To put things in context,the "Tank" Leafs are an older team than we are..according to your source.

48 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Miller in Vancouver

46 wins - 49 losses

.914 SV%

2.6 GAA

Playing the league average SV% on a losing team like ours is pretty damn good. He may be slightly overpayed as he has declined a bit over the years, but we're only talking a couple hundred grand in reality. That's ok though, cause how else do you get a goalie of Millers caliber to sign with a goalie graveyard like ours? Take a look at the Flames if you want to know what it's like to cheap out on mediocre goalies. We needed the stability Miller brings as Lack couldn't quite cut it. Do you think Carolina fans are happy with Lack who only has a .901 SV%? (Not to mention Ward being payed 6.8M for a .909 SV%. Yikes!!)

Besides, who's to say Millers influence on Markstrom isn't absolutely priceless? Remember when Markstrom cleared wavers the first year we got him? Other teams had already labelled him a bust. I'd bet a Veteran presence from the likes of Miller played a big part in turning his game around. (Along with Clouts and Rollie of course)

Face it, Miller was a good decision and the best goalie available to us at the time. Best part is, next year we can do what ever we want as his short contract expires

Archived