The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense: Who do you think will make the team for next season?

Sean Avery

Canucks Defense  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I picked Tryamkin....but that's an obvious choice. Larsen will make the team too....but I'm really looking forward too Larsen playing. he'll be on the third pairing which is awesome so he'll play against the bottom foreward lines, so I hope he'll attack and join the rush creating Offence with the big Russia holding the fort as the stay home guy....just hope coaching staff gives the green light to Larsen.

i think we'll use alot of D this year up coming season but hopefully not as many as last season.

Subban will get a small 1 or 2 game NHL stint which really will be for other teams to look at him for a trade....like Subban but I don't see him as a future Canuck.

Stecher I don't know enough about....but I don't see him called up this year unless he's Hutton.

Sbisa will be in a rotation....with Tryamkin and Larson.......the Russian needs rest. I love him but I don't see him playing every game as I really don't think he has a 80+ NHL game  straight cardio.....so they'll rest him a lot.

Pedan will be a call up as well as Biega......when Edler has his annual injury.

wheres the new uniform, new logo and line nickname forum threads.....I predict at lest 3 threads will be started for each of those before season starts.

i

Barring any Hutton-esque performances from Stecher, I'd put money on Tram and Larsen mirroring how McCann and Virt were used last season.

Big team - Tree

Fast and skilled team - Larsen

Thought we got Pedan for a 3rd, not a 2nd? Not like it matters though, 25% chance on a 2nd rounder after all.

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Barring any Hutton-esque performances from Stecher, I'd put money on Tram and Larsen mirroring how McCann and Virt were used last season.

Big team - Tree

Fast and skilled team - Larsen

Thought we got Pedan for a 3rd, not a 2nd? Not like it matters though, 25% chance on a 2nd rounder after all.

I thought we got him from free agency in 2014 until 7 months ago. lol.

1 hour ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but if Trymak does not make the cut, he goes back to Russia? Hard to see us taking a chance on that happening

Based on what I saw last year in 13 games played, this will not be an issue.  He will make the team.

They should give this guy playing time to develop at the NHL level imo.

Some players, they're just going to have to pass through waivers, there is no choice.  They'll carry 8 D and the rest will go down to Utica (hopefully)

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Sbisa

Biega Pedan Stecher.......that's the 9 who were talked about by Benning I think

Stecher will probably be in Utica because he needs playing time and is waiver exempt (?)

That leaves them choosing between Biega and Pedan

21 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Deal off Sbisa for some GM's belly button lint. That 3.6 could come in handy.

For... What? We have available cap space already, last time I checked. Plus, he comes off the books in two seasons. I've seen him improve (slowly but surely), since joining the Canucks. I'm okay with that term, and if by next year we still have him and he has hit his ceiling, by all means, move him. 

Tryamkin and Larsen start. Juolevi and Stetcher could be wild cards. Pedan only if there's injuries. Larsen will either sink or swim.

I'd like to see Juolevi be so good we have to trade Edler or Sbisa. Only because Edler should still be able to get a solid return. 

Barring any trades, I think all of Tryamkin, Larsen, and Pedan will make the roster, with Biega, Subban, and Stecher in Utica. Tryamkin and Larsen will likely swap in and out with each other (I'm assuming their conditioning won't be at the NHL level considering the KHL plays much fewer games), and Pedan may dress a couple of games as a forward. 

When injuries occur, then both Tryamkin and Larsen will play full-time, while Biega or Subban will get the injury call-up.

This leaves us with 9 defensemen with NHL experience, plus Subban and Stecher.

EDIT: Considering waiver eligibility and to not risk losing a player, I think Juolevi will play parts of the pre-season but not make the team. Unless he surprises and severely outplays someone.

The poll is worded kind of funny.  Tryamkin will probably be in the starting 6 group to start the season.  But over a full year with injuries.....Biega, Pedan, Larsen could all play anywhere from 10-40 games.

Subban and Stretcher.....probably just preseason.

55 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Based on what I saw last year in 13 games played, this will not be an issue.  He will make the team.

They should give this guy playing time to develop at the NHL level imo.

Some players, they're just going to have to pass through waivers, there is no choice.  They'll carry 8 D and the rest will go down to Utica (hopefully)

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Larsen

Sbisa

Biega Pedan Stecher.......that's the 9 who were talked about by Benning I think

Stecher will probably be in Utica because he needs playing time and is waiver exempt (?)

That leaves them choosing between Biega and Pedan

I agree, Tree will make the team, they're not going to lose him back to Russia...so our top 5, barring any trades, is a lock I believe, it'll be a fight for the last couple spots, which I'm assuming will go to Pedan and Larsson for spots 6/7..

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Only gives one choice. I actually think Tryamkin and Larsen make the team. Larsen is going to be the Canucks #3RD and on the PP. Sbisa is the odd man out. I'm guessing he'll be traded in the near future.

I hope so !

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think our top-5 is set in stone, there'll be a real battle for that 6th spot but by the way Benning's talking it sounds like he wants a puck mover like Larsen. Subban should challenge for the spot for a while, Biega is a good safety net to have there but it'll be Larsen's spot to lose.

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen

I think depending on who gets injured when, we'll see call ups. If a right handed puck mover gets injured (eg. Larsen), Subban should get the call. If it's a right handed shutdown defenceman, Biega should be called up.

If it's a left handed puck mover (Hutton), we should bring up Stetcher. If it's a left handed shutdown guy (Edler or Sbisa), we should call up Tryamkin.

Tryamkin won't go to the AHL so he is not a call up option plus his use of his reach and size puts him above Sbisa on the depth chart. IMO there is no way he isn't in our line up.

JB could surprise us and ship out Edler for that other top 6 winger he is shopping for , well and a second. This would help the log jam and could get us a legit second line winger. If no D are traded we will lose one on wavers . After development camp Linden point blank said Juolevi  needs to be in junior on a good team with a key roll and said he was most surprised by Stretcher . Their eye on development and evaluation might make for surprising lineups. I think Pedan will some how be on our team to translate for Big T and or to test/shop him.

3 hours ago, Ronalds.Kenins41 said:

If Sbisa gets traded and we get a return that can somehow help our team the Kesler trade will be known as the "deal that keeps on giving" 

So say we get a fourth rounder in 2018 for Sbisa (let's be optimistic here), then we won't know until 2022 what we really got for Kesler!

2 hours ago, ThaShady1 said:

For... What? We have available cap space already, last time I checked. Plus, he comes off the books in two seasons. I've seen him improve (slowly but surely), since joining the Canucks. I'm okay with that term, and if by next year we still have him and he has hit his ceiling, by all means, move him. 

Yes, because teams will line up to pick up and over paid, under performing defenceman. There is this notion that keeps coming back that if a player proves not good enough let's just trade him (like Higgins last year). But realy, if a player is not good enough for the Canucks, one of the worse teams in the league right now, who will he be able to help?? Edmonton? (Kassian!) Any where else??

Archived