The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Defense: Who do you think will make the team for next season?

Sean Avery

Canucks Defense  

226 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On July 12, 2016 at 1:00 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Next couple years

Juolevi-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Tryamkin-Larsen

Pedan-Stecher

Subban-Brisebois

Trade Edler and Sbisa this year or next

That is good young defensive depth. Not many first pairing guys though beside Juolevi and maybe Tanev.

This is what I see as most likely happening as well, although I'm still a fan of Sbisa, he has good potential and physicality..Edler would/should fetch a nice return, a 2nd line winger???

10 hours ago, harrytoolips said:

This is what I see as most likely happening as well, although I'm still a fan of Sbisa, he has good potential and physicality..Edler would/should fetch a nice return, a 2nd line winger???

I don't mind Sbisa but I just see a lot of younger forwards with more potential who need the chance to show what they can do.    Juolevi,Tryamkin,Hutton,Larsen,Stecher,Subban,Pedan- thats 7 guys right on the cusp of the NHL who need a shot. That isn't even including up and comers like Brisebois, Olsen, Cederholm... Hopefully we can trade Edler and Sbisa for some good picks or prospects. Maybe Sbisa for Kane? I would trade Edler at a trade deadline and try to get a first round pick. Plus if we trade these guys now we don't have to protect them at the expansion draft.

14 hours ago, Madwolf said:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Tryamkin

Larsen/Pedan

Pedan and Larsen will battle it out in camp, and whoever loses will go down. You'll see the winner of that pair spell Hutton, and Tryamkin every now and then until an injury happens. Subban and Stretcher will see call ups due to injuries simply because of the waiver situation. We may not see Beiga called up again unless a season ending injury happens due to waivers and he doesn't really have much upside at this point.

Benning said that he will be carrying 8D this year so Pedan and Larsen are probably both locks.

12 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

TBenning said that he will be carrying 8D this year so Pedan and Larsen are probably both locks.

I think Pedan, Tryamkin, and Larsen should take those spots, but you never know when dealing with Willie, Jim, and Trevor.

41 minutes ago, Sean Avery said:

I think Pedan, Tryamkin, and Larsen should take those spots, but you never know when dealing with Willie, Jim, and Trevor.

Have to agree, but they know that they need to get younger and more competitive. In two years I can see

Juolevi-tanev

Tryamkin-Hutton

Pedan-Larsen

Assuming players develop as we wish they will, we could have a great defensive lineup. With Subban and Brisebois coming we will be strong defensively. My hope is that we will add another top pairing defenceman through draft or preferably trade.

I put Tryamkin, although I think Larsen is a lock as well. 

For next season:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Larsen - Tryamkin

Pedan - Biega

Down the road:

Juolevi - Tanev

Hutton - Tryamkin

Subban - Gudbranson

Pedan is not and will not be an nhl player.

How do i know this?

Because our coaches did not play him even tho we desperately needed help last season.

We were so desperate that we played a slow, rookie from the khl instead of pedan.

Next year I'd like to see:

Edler - Gudbranson

Hutton - Tanev (I'd like them to balance our D by playing our top defensive D with our offensively talented sophomore.)

Sbisa -Larsen

Biega - low cost free agent or Stecher?

-Tryamkin (I hope Try comes to his senses and agrees to play in the ahl for a year.)

Pedan had a very good pre season last year and his development seems to be on pace for a few call ups to the bigs for the coming year.

Larson gets the nod to open the season, Pedan or Biega first on the depth chart, take your pick.

If they don't trade Sbisa I predict the following D pairs:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gud

Sbisa-Larsen

Tryamkin-Biega

Pedan, Stecher and Subban will get some time as call ups due to injuries.

As of now, these 8 D make the 23-man roster:

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Tryamkin

Larsen Pedan

That means we carry only 13 forwards and definitely expose Zalewski and Grenier to waivers, maybe one of Etem or Dorsett as well if Virtanen makes the team.  Quite a log-jam.  We need a trade that converts some depth into an upgrade or picks, but that may not be easy to find. 

On July 12, 2016 at 0:16 PM, Alflives said:

Young D, who do play in the NHL seem to have very high hockey IQs.  This kid is the smartest of the smartest.  He is tall, at 6'3" now, so being thick enough might hold him back a season. 

I agree Pedan 6'5, 220lbs, more toughness then any of the current D-men. fast skater, great shot winning both a skills competition in Vancouver..Oedan cannot be sent down he will not clear waiver....There will be a list of NHL teams waiting to pick him up..

Have to keep Pedan  in as 7-8th guy and spare forward until we trade one of the top D-men and make a regular roster spot..

Need toughness so bad and he is a natural and can fight if needed...He will scare opponents if they fight him...

KEEP PEDAN GREAT FUTURE JUST TURNED 23yrs OLD.........$700,000 Great contract

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

As of now, these 8 D make the 23-man roster:

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Sbisa Tryamkin

Larsen Pedan

That means we carry only 13 forwards and definitely expose Zalewski and Grenier to waivers, maybe one of Etem or Dorsett as well if Virtanen makes the team.  Quite a log-jam.  We need a trade that converts some depth into an upgrade or picks, but that may not be easy to find. 

This is the way that I see it as well. Pedan is a unique player, because he has all of the tools except maybe east-west mobility. At this point I think the only thing he needs to learn are systems based and require coaching and practice. The other intangible that he brings to the team is Russian. I'm sure that Tryamkin is and will continue to learn English, but having Pedan on the ice as a translator could be invaluable to both players as well as the team. 

3 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

This is the way that I see it as well. Pedan is a unique player, because he has all of the tools except maybe east-west mobility. At this point I think the only thing he needs to learn are systems based and require coaching and practice. The other intangible that he brings to the team is Russian. I'm sure that Tryamkin is and will continue to learn English, but having Pedan on the ice as a translator could be invaluable to both players as well as the team. 

I really like Pedan too but there are some other weaknesses besides lateral mobility:  puck retrieval, decision-making are ones I've noticed.  I'm hoping all of them improve and he becomes a solid bottom pairing guy for us. 

On 7/14/2016 at 10:34 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Have to agree, but they know that they need to get younger and more competitive. In two years I can see

Juolevi-tanev

Tryamkin-Hutton

Pedan-Larsen

Assuming players develop as we wish they will, we could have a great defensive lineup. With Subban and Brisebois coming we will be strong defensively. My hope is that we will add another top pairing defenceman through draft or preferably trade.

Gudbranson retires at 26? lol

On July 17, 2016 at 10:43 PM, OrrFour said:

Pedan is not and will not be an nhl player.

How do i know this?

Because our coaches did not play him even tho we desperately needed help last season.

We were so desperate that we played a slow, rookie from the khl instead of pedan.

Wrong on almost every count. 

Wish I had a minus, but I am all out. 

I still find it amazing that JB won't give Subban a shot. Sure he's undersized but we need a playmaking defenseman more than anything else right now and he's the only guy in our entire system that can put up good points from the backend. I know he is a bit of a risk on the defensive side, but if we put him with Tanev or someone that is very responsible back there, we can finally have someone to move the puck around and score some goals from the blue line!

Give him a chance JB, for the love of Wayne.

Archived