The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann has Gained 25lb since last season

I've seen this kind of press statement from NHL prospects before. It never works out the way you'd think. Instead, it looks like an act of desperation afterwards, because they "haven't quite made it yet" in the NHL. 

25 pounds? ok, pick your own explanation:

-not objective enough to measure it properly and/or operate a scale. Drinking extra water before weigh in counts?

-telling the truth, but it's mostly fat

-telling the truth and it's muscle, but can't skate and/or no endurance

-not telling the truth. Stretching the truth to gain attention. Fear of not making it in the big leagues.

My money is on the last one.

I can see it potentially being all muscle.  The guy is still growing, so that has to be factored into his weight increase as well.

McCann's issues largely were in his strength.  If he manages/managed to get that taken care of, he will be a top six forward in this league.  It was a real shame to give him up, but I can only assume Benning knows something I do not.

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Should have fipped one of our other prospects for Gudbranson instead of McCann. This kid has so much swagger and determination he'll go far in the NHL, even on a stacked Florida forward group.

You're kidding, right? They're not simply interchangeable. McCann was likely what it cost to get the deal done, and I don't think that's an outrageous price anyway. You don't mean you would've rather shipped out Boeser do you? That's ridiculous. 

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I can see it potentially being all muscle.  The guy is still growing, so that has to be factored into his weight increase as well.

McCann's issues largely were in his strength.  If he manages/managed to get that taken care of, he will be a top six forward in this league.  It was a real shame to give him up, but I can only assume Benning knows something I do not.

If it's 25 pounds since this time last year or last fall, then it's not bad but it's definitely not all muscle unless he's been juicing. It's just not possible. If it's 25 pounds since January 1, it's most certainly a fair bit of fat but he could've added some considerable strength in that time as well. If it's 25 pounds since the season ended he's just fat. You don't gain muscle that fast.

7 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Loui? If he hasn't done that yet then he never will. Kind of like the twins and physicality

Benning said Loui is 6'3 in person. He just must be a lanky guy and you're right. It is kinda too late but I mean he's 30, and players in this category do tend to gain weight, especially near 35 years and over.

7 minutes ago, riffraff said:

It's not the meat. It's the motion.

Keep telling yourself that.

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

If it's 25 pounds since this time last year or last fall, then it's not bad but it's definitely not all muscle unless he's been juicing. It's just not possible. If it's 25 pounds since January 1, it's most certainly a fair bit of fat but he could've added some considerable strength in that time as well. If it's 25 pounds since the season ended he's just fat. You don't gain muscle that fast.

It does seem pretty high, but it isn't like his words were substantiated in both term nor accuracy.

Bottom line is that even before this I heard that he was working hard to bulk up.  If he truly added 25 pounds in the offseason, then one can figure it isn't likely to be all muscle.  Either way, I'm interested to see what kind of effect it had on his mobility and speed; but if he can put it all together properly, I expect big things from him.  The guy's vision is outstanding and (combined with his other skills, of course) is what I have believed for over a year now is going to ensure he will be an NHL star. 

Even though it is obvious we needed some physicality on our blueline, it is also obvious we needed more high end depth on the left wing and center.  I find it hard to believe Benning would have simply switched our needs with that trade unless he knows something the rest of us don't about McCann.  He already knew at that point that McCann was successfully working hard to gain weight, and his skills were never really in question, so his attitude is the only thing that I can see remaining.  That, plus multiple reports backing it up, indicates to me that Benning felt he had a poor personality and would have been a cancer in the dressing room.

I guess we will see.  One doesn't go through much time in the NHL with an attitude problem without that information leaking out one way or another.

What an idiot

With his 19 year old metabolism daily pro athletic training it's impossible to put on that kind of weight unless:

1. He has given up cardio altogether and is power lifting between trips to Mc Donald's (Even then it's improbable)

2. He's on the gas

If #2 is the truth and I would bet that it is he should be doing everything in his power to get attention of his massive sudden weight gain.

On the other hand, if he gets away with it.........look out......we may be in for some seller's remorse.

11 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Good for him.

The likes of Tanev, Sutter, Eriksson could take a page from that book. 

It's called the Anabolic Bible,

You used to be able to get it "unofficially" at gyms

I would suspect it's on the net now, so Tanev, Lou and Sutter should have no trouble finding it

Archived