The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The case for why Chris Tanev is bad for the Team

CaptainLinden16

You will have to forgive the hyperbole, but I am amazed at how he escapes criticism and Edler gets blamed at every turn.  Chris Tanev is as one dimensional as it comes.  Now there isn't a real problem with that in isolation, but there is a huge problem with that when you start comparing him to other players on the team.  I have watched every Canucks game since 94, and He is a liability on the ice plain and simple.

What he is great at:

He retrieves pucks cooly and calmly while mostly avoiding hits and making a nice safe two foot pass to his defensive partner or to a low forward.

What he does poorly:

He passes the responsibility to create onto someone else.

How easy is it for a team to always focus on one player because you know that Tanev is not skating the puck up the ice.  He isn't making a cross ice pass and he isn't threading the needle through three zones.  This makes our offense incredibly predictable and very easy to stop.  If everyone is making two foot passes up the ice it gives the opponent all day to recover.  Speed of puck movement is what creates mistakes.  Tanev is the antithesis of speed of puck movement.  That's 20+ minutes a night that we are not getting the puck up the ice with any urgency.

Now here comes poor Edler.  He knows that his defensive partner is going to carry 0% of the burden to do anything to get the puck moving.  So he has to take ALL the RISKS!  He is the one skating the puck up the ice.  He is the one making beautiful outlet passes.  Of course he is going to make mistakes because this is actually the difficult part of hockey.  There is a reason why PK makes 9 million and Tanev 4.  The talent and ability required to make the unexpected happen is extraordinarily difficult.  Now Edler is not PK, Yandle, Karlsson or Barrie.  He is good but not great.  

Edler will continue to stand out as a bad player in our bad seasons and a good player in our good season.  Why you ask?  Because when we are down a goal, the whole team is looking for him to make something happen from the back-end.  He isn't PK or Karlsson; so he isn't good enough to make that happen.  Because he is the best we got, we enjoy attacking him for it when he inevitably makes a mistake.  Maybe next season Tanev should give it a try????  I remember Hamhuis was actually trying in the middle of the season, and everyone went bezerk saying how bad he was for it.  Hamhuis is grandpa Tanev!  Hamhuis paired with Klingberg will miraculously turn him into an Olympian again because he will be trying to generate 0% of the offense and making 2 foot passes.  We had no other players except for maybe Hutton who could make something happen.  He is too young to place all that responsibility on him now.  I think he is very talented and will get there, but the coaching staff was right not to put him in the pressure cooker by having him run the power play.  A huge part of offense is confidence and it is best to build that slowly.  Once it is lost..it is lost!

When we have a playoff team like two years ago not to mention the president trophy runs.  Edler is a great player.  Edler and Tanev were heralded as the top defensive pairing according to Corsi or some other mumbojumbo that year.  If we are even or ahead or if we have another player to create from the back then of course Edler can play his game and not have to be something he is not.  Our power play went to complete disaster mode when he went down.  Everyone hates the drop pass although a lot of teams use it as a means to gain the zone on a powerplay.  It goes to show you that even though he was making mistakes our power play was significantly better with him in the lineup than without.  Our zone entries went to zero at the end of the season, and we stopped scoring.  He is a first pairing player in the this league.  I have 0 doubt about that in my mind.  He is not Doughty, Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Ekblad, Hedman, Carlson, Letang, Keith, Burns, PK or Weber.  There maybe a handful of guys better that I didn't mention.  You have to understand, and I know this is difficult there has to be 60 players as there is two top two defenseman on every team.  If you think there are 60 better defenseman than Edler in the NHL then I would love to have what you are smoking.  Please for the love of God to all the idiots that think so, provide me a list of every defenseman that you think is better than Edler.  We can all start laughing when you get past 25 at how far you are trying to reach to definitively say that someone is better than Edler.

Our defense was trash last year.  Absolute trash! That's why Benning has clearly made it his top priority to fix.  Gudbranson, Hutton, Joulevi, Stecher, Brisebois, Sbisa, Larson, Tryamkin, Pedan.  All new toys...We had a lot of good defensive forwards and the Sedins were always plus players for a long time.  That really helped to mask how bad our defense really was for years.

Not to mention, every offensive player takes more risks so they make more mistakes that's so logical it must hurt everyone's brains a little bit eh?  There is waaaaay too much of a fixation on finding mistakes.  I think that half of this fan base watches hockey games trying to spot mistakes on the ice like others grammatically proof message board posts.  Its annoying on the board and even more annoying in relation to the game.

Speaking of which...Did anyone actually watch Hutton in the last 30 games?  He was brutal.  Replay the games.  He was creating scoring chances for the other team nightly!  I don't blame him for it as again he was trying to make something happen.  We were bad, and he didnt want loose.  I applaud him for it.  Its cowardly and actually dumb to make the safe simple pass when you are down 3-0.  I want people who don't want to loose on my team.  I want Patrick Roy style players who want to pull the goalie down by 5 because they want to WIN.  

All this is tied to the bastardization of hockey that is today's NHL.  I remember hockey in the early 90's.  It was actually fun to watch.  Players were doing creative things, exciting things, and it was beautiful to watch.  Now everyone is fixated with mistakes in the media.  Everyone wants to be an expert.  Some of this is down to the absurd goalie pads and the substantially increased speed of all players; but a lot of this is due to mistakes over creativity being noticed and amplified.  Don't be the problem be the solution!  You are not special because you noticed Edler made a pass that was intercepted and Sbisa making a pinch that was poorly timed.  And Tanev isn't special because he plays with a cigarette in his mouth and makes two foot passes.

Your characterization of an outlet pass as 'passing the responsibility' shows exactly how little you know about hockey. That simple little pass is something that every GM in the league looks for a top defenseman to be able to do. Threading a three line pass through 5 guys is fine and dandy, probably 5 percent of the time it works.

Not creating enough offense =/= liability.

Edler may lose out on 10-15 points a year with Tanev, but if he's 10-15 goals against better it cancels out anyways. Plus the main driving force for weaker offensive numbers for Edler is the mediocre PP of the last 4 years.

1 minute ago, ehdee said:

Your characterization of an outlet pass as 'passing the responsibility' shows exactly how little you know about hockey. That simple little pass is something that every GM in the league looks for a top defenseman to be able to do. Threading a three line pass through 5 guys is fine and dandy, probably 5 percent of the time it works.

Its not about one particular aspect.  It's about him as a whole putting to much pressure on the players around him and primarily his defensive partner to do the more difficult thing.  To move the puck forward!  I think we can all agree the two foot pass is easier to accomplish and gets you no further down the ice than skating the puck up or passing it further up the ice.  My point is not that he should make a cross ice pass at all times.  My point is that he NEVER does.  You can hail that as being smart.  I think it makes the team predictable, boring and less effective.

I agree partially on his painstakingly one dimensional play.  But he is VERY good at it.

And defensive pairs these days are all about the Up front guy, and the Stay at home guy.

There is nothing wrong with having a Tanev, or 3 on your team.

Oh, and /coughworldchamionships

17 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Speaking of which...Did anyone actually watch Hutton in the last 30 games?  He was brutal.  Replay the games.  He was creating scoring chances for the other team nightly!  I don't blame him for it as again he was trying to make something happen.  We were bad, and he didnt want loose.  I applaud him for it.  Its cowardly and actually dumb to make the safe simple pass when you are down 3-0.  I want people who don't want to loose on my team.  I want Patrick Roy style players who want to pull the goalie down by 5 because they want to WIN.  

I think Hutton was exhausted. You play way more games in an NHL season than in an NCAA season and they're tougher games.

1 minute ago, xereau said:

I agree partially on his painstakingly one dimensional play.  But he is VERY good at it.

And defensive pairs these days are all about the Up front guy, and the Stay at home guy.

again, I purposefully made the title provocative, and I think a lot of people are choosing to skip reading the post as it is too long; but I am not truly trying to say that he is a bad player.  I am just trying to bring to light how Edler is in every trade proposal and is a burning pile of dog crap while cigarette smoking cool as you like two foot Tanev is the corner stone of the franchise.  This is not meant to say that Tanev is bad absolutely.  Tanev is a good player.  It is meant to say that Tanev is not as good as Edler.  I would argue that he isn't even close. 

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

This. He was probably one of the bright spots for us last year after such a poor year. Hes a great defender. Sure he doesn't dish out the puck more or shoot as much ebut he's very valuable

12 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Its not about one particular aspect.  It's about him as a whole putting to much pressure on the players around him and primarily his defensive partner to do the more difficult thing.  To move the puck forward!  I think we can all agree the two foot pass is easier to accomplish and gets you no further down the ice than skating the puck up or passing it further up the ice.  My point is not that he should make a cross ice pass at all times.  My point is that he NEVER does.  You can hail that as being smart.  I think it makes the team predictable, boring and less effective.

Your point shows how little you know about hockey, that was my point.

I don't agree with all the flak Edler gets on this forum either. But is the answer to try and shift the "blame"onto other players? If you have a problem with Tanev's stay at home style, that's fine. But if you're using that to try and pump up your own guy, I really don't see a difference between you and the Elder haters.

If one is to strongly advocate moving Tanev, would approach from angles such as...

~his value's likely quite high, about now

~We've gotta few bodies on the RH side

~You can potentially recycle a 'free' asset, into something young & valuable

~Or nab a pick & prospect, then you can protect an extra skater next expansion draft

~We'd be committing to more quickly promote our D-youth(namely: Subban, Stecher). It's risky, but could pay off nicely.

It would be undebatable to suggest he adds no toughness, or heavy point shot.

I really like Tanev's cool head. That said, I would accept moving him IF the price is right.

27 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

read comprehension is strong! you skip the first line and go straight for the memes.  This is sadly why everyone thinks our generation has a poor attention span.

"read comprehension is strong" is a great sentence. Greater yet when you suggest that people dismissing your post is a sign of the younger generation going to the dogs.

Archived