The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sutter to RW?

The Brindy Gypsy

Sutter to RW  

151 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, TOOMUCHINTERNET said:

also, Who would be our 4th line C?

Gaunce

I would have to say NO as our first line is great next two center are Sutter n Horvat.

more balanced attack is better then loading up two lines that team could shut down then three that can score!!!

Sedin Sedin Eriksson
Baertschi Horvat Hansen

This top six makes so much sense. Horvat has proven chemistry with both Baertschi and Hansen (he was garbage on other lines). 

Eriksson with the twins. Maybe swap Eriksson and Hansen if for whatever reason they don't work out. 

Sutter will eat a lot of PK minutes. 5 on 5, it would be a bit of a mix of players. Rodin, Granlund, Burrows, maybe even Dorsett would be good potential wingers. 

That is entirely up to Granlund and to an lesser extend Gaunce and Zale. Unless Gran shows he's ready for the 3rd line I don't see it happening. That being said, Gran is my dark horse this year and I think he's going to have a breakout year. 

47 minutes ago, Progressive Hockey said:

I would love that line. I think Baertschi & Granlund could develop into a very nice offensive combo. Baertschi is a playmaker for sure, loved his ability to create plays in tight spaces. Now in two years throw Boesser on the right side! There is your sniper.

Baertschi Granlund Boesser

Imagine if they can find Baertschi a Ty Rattie - that would be amazing.  I was watching some past footage the other day and the chemistry these two had was just insane.  Baertschi was so good at creating scoring chances for his linemates.  He for sure needs a finisher (or two) on his line and guys that can do those quick give-and-go with him. 

It's going to be interesting to see how much rope WD gives him next season.  Last year was probably about building trust and it was only in March that he started playing more his game.  The game where he played with Vey as his C had me convinced that his creativity was finally coming back - probably also because the other team's feed got really all excited over his play.   If they put him with linemates that will give him the puck, he'll find them back.  I just hope they make use of his playmaking and give him an offensive role and a finisher.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Imagine if they can find Baertschi a Ty Rattie - that would be amazing.  I was watching some past footage the other day and the chemistry these two had was just insane.  Baertschi was so good at creating scoring chances for his linemates.  He for sure needs a finisher (or two) on his line and guys that can do those quick give-and-go with him. 

It's going to be interesting to see how much rope WD gives him next season.  Last year was probably about building trust and it was only in March that he started playing more his game.  The game where he played with Vey as his C had me convinced that his creativity was finally coming back - probably also because the other team's feed got really all excited over his play.   If they put him with linemates that will give him the puck, he'll find them back.  I just hope they make use of his playmaking and give him an offensive role and a finisher.

Baertschi Granlund Hansen?

I think this move should be tried at most periodically, Brandon has value as a shutdown center who was brought in to shelter Bo, and at times last season Bo proved that he needed it.  The only time that I would suggest it would be if better wingers like Hansen weren't performing and the team needed offense (presuming it's Twins - Eriksson, Sven - Bo - Hansen) since Brandon does have a good shot, which I think is comparable to Hansen's off the rush (which was why he was put with the Twins to start last season). Brandon at center also insulates Granlund, since if Bo plays up a line at 2nd C, then Markus would need to face better opponents than he may necessarily be good enough to face when playing as the 4th C.

Alternatively, I would be open to seeing Granlund put on the wing with Brandon if the team gives the middle 6 guys roughly equal minutes and they need more offense.  His play-making could help Brandon as he's shoot first.

Dan - Hank - Erik
Sven - Bo - Hansen
Granny - Brandon - Rodin
Emerson - Gaunce/ Z - Burr/ Dorsett

With the signing of Eriksson, we have some options on center for our remaining lines. I guess Sutter will be ok on the second line with Horvat on the third. 

Maybe...

Sedin Sedin Erik

Etem Sutter Rodin

Sven Horvat Virt?

Dorsett Granny Gaunce/Burr/Hansen

28 minutes ago, Progressive Hockey said:

Baertschi Granlund Hansen?

I think Hansen will play on a defensive line or with the Sedins.  I don't really see him as an offensive player.  I thought he was with the Sedins to help manage their work load - so that they don't waste their energy on things he can do for them like digging pucks out etc. 

I am hoping Rodin can translate his scoring touch and that Granlund find his.  Although Baertschi could probably use a bigger proven goal scorer that can create space for him.  WD was saying that he's going to have bigger and heavier Ds onto him next season and that it's going to be a problem.  He also mentioned that teams were going after him and that he battled through so they seem aware that they need to find a way to make sure he doesn't get crushed out there. 

I proposed this in another thread. I think it's a great idea. We have decent depth in the organization, so let's use it. Keep the cap until someone wants to make us better theu a trade.  

Having a Baer, Bo and Sutter line as our second would be the best second line we could ice with our current roster.

This line would have great two ability. Have two centres that take opposite draws. That along with great speed, A player maker with some shooters.  This would be a great line at creating turnovers that can counter act off the rush. Getting the puck back into the ozone, forcing the face off and then come on the Sedins with Eriksson. 

Have Gaunce and Granlund duke it out for the 3/4 spots. 

Burrows, Gaunce and Hansen would be a great two way 3rd line. With Granlund between Etem and Dorrset. 

Not prefect, but much better than this year. That group should get us into the playoffs without major injury. 

20 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I proposed this in another thread. I think it's a great idea. We have decent depth in the organization, so let's use it. Keep the cap until someone wants to make us better theu a trade.  

Having a Baer, Bo and Sutter line as our second would be the best second line we could ice with our current roster.

This line would have great two ability. Have two centres that take opposite draws. That along with great speed, A player maker with some shooters.  This would be a great line at creating turnovers that can counter act off the rush. Getting the puck back into the ozone, forcing the face off and then come on the Sedins with Eriksson. 

Have Gaunce and Granlund duke it out for the 3/4 spots. 

Burrows, Gaunce and Hansen would be a great two way 3rd line. With Granlund between Etem and Dorrset. 

Not prefect, but much better than this year. That group should get us into the playoffs without major injury. 

That is something being over looked a bit here, people think that because Sutter playing RW wouldn't be able to take draws. I think it would work awesome having Bo or Brandon taking the draws on their strong side on the same line. It would increase our faceoff %. It's something we do on my team and it works quite effectively. 

6 minutes ago, Progressive Hockey said:

That is something being over looked a bit here, people think that because Sutter playing RW wouldn't be able to take draws. I think it would work awesome having Bo or Brandon taking the draws on their strong side on the same line. It would increase our faceoff %. It's something we do on my team and it works quite effectively. 

Sutter can definitely be moved around during a hockey game in order to adapt to a situation. 

Only if Granlund can handle bigger minutes and Gaunce can move back to center, we don't really have any more center depth in our organization. Need to sign one of these 3rd tier UFAs like Pirri who can play wing or center and still score 15-20 goals. Then Sutter can be a winger because we've got the versatility, right now we simply don't.

We have a short term memory in Vancouver. It was only a little over a year ago when Sutter went down with an injury and Horvat was unfairly thrust into the 2nd line C role where he didn't exactly thrive. Let the kid (and he's still a kid!) develop! He's gonna be a fantastic 3rd line center this year. And he may even develop into that 2nd C later this season. But let's hold our horses for a second here and let Bo develop properly.

Lots of names been thrown around but don't see Virtanen much.  Rodin....hopefully is this years Hutton and surprises everyone not familiar with him.   We really do need another NHL caliber proven winger that can help the young ones....

27 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Only if Granlund can handle bigger minutes and Gaunce can move back to center, we don't really have any more center depth in our organization. Need to sign one of these 3rd tier UFAs like Pirri who can play wing or center and still score 15-20 goals. Then Sutter can be a winger because we've got the versatility, right now we simply don't.

Not sure Pirri is the right target and as his name keeps on coming up - from the Sun Sentinel:  

Pirri has arguably the hardest and most accurate shot on the Panthers, but is also considered a defensive liability. “Brandon’s a scorer, that’s his game,’’ Panthers coach Gerard Gallant said. “He’s not a defensive guy and not a big banger. He’s a goal scorer. When he’s hot, he’s hot. He hasn’t been hot lately.’’

43 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

We have a short term memory in Vancouver. It was only a little over a year ago when Sutter went down with an injury and Horvat was unfairly thrust into the 2nd line C role where he didn't exactly thrive. Let the kid (and he's still a kid!) develop! He's gonna be a fantastic 3rd line center this year. And he may even develop into that 2nd C later this season. But let's hold our horses for a second here and let Bo develop properly.

That's kind of the point of this thread, look who Horvat's line mates were last season. It's not that he can't play second line minutes, he needs help from his wingers defensively and production wise. Sutter would be a great candidate for that. I love Virt and Baer but that's a lot on Bo, also Vrbata mailed it in. Sutter taking the draws on his strong side, and helping in the D zone would help Bo.

Archived