The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)Nintendo to Release original 'mini' Console

Tre Mac

On 7/19/2016 at 11:23 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well I remember there was a game that allowed you to play this as a part in one of the games. Then they came out with a game with just the pow battle only. I remember playing it as a kid with one of my buddies but it was long ago I can't remember exactly. So are you saying in Super Mario Bros. you get to play that? I only own the Mario Bros. which is only 1 player so can't play the pow.

You can play variations of the old Mario Bros. in Super Mario 3. If the player who's turn it's not presses the A button when the other player is on the same square, a battle ensues.

As for the old Mario Bros. arcade game, I remember playing it. It was a little "before my time", but some Motel my family would stay at in Bellingham had it (and not much else).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Make your own then you can play every NES and Famicom ever released!  I posted the link above!!!

Yeah I saw that, I'm sure people who are into these projects will enjoy this, which is good on you for posting it. Although here's the problem One: I don't even know what is going on here wth is a raspberry.. Two: I have to go and buy all these parts and put this together... Three: who wants to play that with a controller that freaking small... Four: Where do I get all these mini cartridges...   Look I've taken apart Red Ring of Death Xbox 360's before and fixed them, but that's about it. I'm sorry but this looks like a good chunk of time to build imo, and to make sure you get it exactly is a gamble as well, plus that controller is way to freaking small to enjoy a game lol.

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah I saw that, I'm sure people who are into these projects will enjoy this, which is good on you for posting it. Although here's the problem One: I don't even know what is going on here wth is a raspberry.. Two: I have to go and buy all these parts and put this together... Three: who wants to play that with a controller that freaking small... Four: Where do I get all these mini cartridges...   Look I've taken apart Red Ring of Death Xbox 360's before and fixed them, but that's about it. I'm sorry but this looks like a good chunk of time to build imo, and to make sure you get it exactly is a gamble as well, plus that controller is way to freaking small to enjoy a game lol.

I enjoy building stuff like that.  I have a couple mini-arcade cabinets that I put together, painted, wired, etc.

Do a Google search on the Raspberry Pi.  You can build a lot of things using it.

Those tiny controllers were made just for show.  Even the guy who made them uses an Xbox 360 controller instead.

If I ever decide to build it, I'll buy a full size USB replica NES controller for it.

You 3D print the small cartridges and put the SD card in it yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2016 at 2:28 PM, Tre Mac said:

Sorry I don't start many threads but what do you fellow old school gamers think?  Really wish River City Ransom was included because I would most definitely get this.  And if anyone brings up Pokémon in this thread I will hunt you down.

Bionic commando is one of the single greatest video games ever made and it is, unfortunately, not included, so that hurts my interest,

Overall they are going about this all wrong, they key to this whole thing was having it accept old cartridges, that would start a whole new trend of game swapping hunting and trading, collecting those classic cartridges would have been the activity that galvanized everyone to buy this  and dig these old games out of the basement, maybe call up their friends and see what they have stashed. this could have been $REALLY big.

but

As it is, this gives the consumer no opportunity to relive their NES culture days anymore than playing these games for free on the internet does,

no nostalgia either that game that can be accessed elsewhere, no social spinoffs, they haven't tried to make these collectible at all, just more electronic junk

and i would dissagree with them, they are NOT re-issuing the NES, they are pakaging up some games in unnessasary hardware,  and trying to tell us it's an NES it is not.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really, really lucky and got one for me and one for my brother. My best friend was able to snag one too.

Play N Trade just put them out 5 minutes before we wandered in there

On November 12, 2016 at 5:21 PM, Incursio said:

What is it with Nintendo and their constant failure to provide a decent amount of supply for anything they release?

There's no way they didn't forsee the demand.  Done on purpose to bring back fans they lost with that travesty called the WiiU. 

The rerelease NES must have been their secret code for more lives lol. 

If the Switch fudges up, Nintendo might as well pack it in. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 10:39 PM, D-Money said:

You can play variations of the old Mario Bros. in Super Mario 3. If the player who's turn it's not presses the A button when the other player is on the same square, a battle ensues.

As for the old Mario Bros. arcade game, I remember playing it. It was a little "before my time", but some Motel my family would stay at in Bellingham had it (and not much else).

Right. The Atari Mario Bros before the NES had the POW + I think donkey kong at the top being a jerk. Mario 3 had some mini-games if you went over the POW level and hit it, or hit "A" over top the other player while they were on any other slot. Sometimes the mini-games would be different though... it's occasionally come up with some crazy ladder / grab things as fast as you can one, and the other one also rare, was you were on either side with a pipe in the middle spewing fireballs and random stuff coming at both ends.

The main mini-game was fairly close to the Atari one though, sans DK.

Edit: I was wrong. The Atari Donkey Kong game had Mario trying to reach the top as DK was tossing things (maybe first appearance of Mario?). The original Atari Mario Bros. game had them just going to the top of the level. My memory was hazy heheh. I had both.

Archived