googlesixtherapper

Button: Rodin and Larsen will contribute offensively to Canucks

Rate this topic

Thanks Craig for your in-depth analysis on pointing out the obvious.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I've never had any faith in anything he says.  I'm not even sure why TSN keeps him around.

We could ask that for many of the guys TSN keeps around. Dreger more specifically. 

Button may not be totally reliable but he at least does the dirty work and tries to watch as many prospects as he can in order to have the most educated opinion possible. I wouldn't rely on his projections but I respect him for working hard.

It's more than you can say for a hack like Dreger who gets paid to sit on his ass and tweet hail marys. In the case of Dreger, there's this saying that holds true: "If you throw a lot of $&!# at the wall, something's bound to stick."

Edited by guntrix
  • Upvote 4

I'd say it's a really good environment for these two to step in. Vets are mostly helpful, nice blokes.

- beautiful city, with passionate fanbase.

- our team-expectations are modest, this season

- Lots of Swedes(& a Dane) for these guys to relate

- Overall, a team trending younger with lots of youthful enthusiasm

- Nice farm team too, if more seasoning's in order

Good to see we're bringing along the next wave. This time, we've got a bit more size/muscle to watch over them, as well.

I don't like Button's opinions very often however I will say this, for him and other scouts out there; scouting is fricken hard. It's really tough to see if a player is going to make it or not. Seeing skill and game attributes in a 17/18 year old is a lot easier then predicting whether they will have the mental makeup or the internal fortitude to push themselves to a higher level of physicality. Are they a product of the system they play in? Are they physically stronger then the other players they play against? Are they playing inferior opposition? I would say that their fortitude is almost impossible to gauge at this age. Unless it's that rare elite talent that oozes maturity. 

Rodin has played very well in a good league (current MVP) so we know he can play hockey. Now does he have the moxie? Who knows? He's older at 25, so he should be ready mentally. Larsen is 26, so again he can play hockey but does he have the calm to be a NHL defenceman? Who knows? It's hard to know if they have the skill, internal fortitude and IQ to make the NHL. We are all hoping they do. I feel like Rodin has a better chance of playing and contributing offensively in the top 9 then Larsen has of doing the same being our 7th D-man.

Just my humble, not scouting background opinion

• Upvote 4

Not,sure about Larsen but Rodin has a 1 way contract.

button also wanted the flames to pick joulevi with the 6th pick and even said on air, his brother is the head scout in Calgary and he will convince him to do so.

Nice farm team too, if more seasoning's in order

Rodin has an out in his contract where he can go back to Europe if doesn't make the team. Larsen would never clear waivers. Don't expect either to be in Utica this year 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He's still a scout.  You could bank on his opinion or you could bank on your own opinion?  He actually watches these guys play and has a lot of connections around the league.  I don't understand why somebody has to be 100% correct all the time just to get peoples respect.  

Agreed but this is greg &^@#ing button we're talking about.

I loved Rodin, first time I saw Godzilla he was throwing down with Rodin.  Now Ghidora and Gamora have supplanted her as my favourite.  I mean whats cooler than a gold three headed dragon or more ridiculous than a giant armoured turtle that farts fire into a frisbee like spin.  Rodin still holds a place in my heart though.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Exactly. So he thought Virtanen should have went 2nd round. I think that shows why he's a tv personality and not an executive. Jake is still as raw as Eddie murphy and might turn into a star eventually. Krieder clone. 

I've really never had an issue with Button. He's another hockey guy with a different opinion sometimes and i don't mind that one bit.

He had Virt at 26th overall at midway ranking. Virt finished the season strong and he adjusted at the end.

With all the hate towards him for his initial ranking, you'd think he was ranking McDavid 26th.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I've never had any faith in anything he says.  I'm not even sure why TSN keeps him around.

Because people don't hate him, they just tolerate him. Being tolerated in hockey broadcasting is a +. Usually it's pure hate like everybody has for Stock, Healy, Strombopolosiubrkous.

I don't mind Button, he's interesting to listen to.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I loved Rodin, first time I saw Godzilla he was throwing down with Rodin.  Now Ghidora and Gamora have supplanted her as my favourite.  I mean whats cooler than a gold three headed dragon or more ridiculous than a giant armoured turtle that farts fire into a frisbee like spin.  Rodin still holds a place in my heart though.

You mean the monster Rodan.

Geez for the last few months i got the impression that TSN or other eastern media new jack about the Canucks and were the biggest haters of the team. Button has Virtanen rated in the 30's when he gave out his mock draft and this board had a mini melt. Now he has Rodin and Larson as good for the team and people go ok he knows his stuff.

7 hours ago, hearditall said:
He had Jake Virtanen ranked #47 in the 2014 draft... LMAO....

NHL Draft War Room: Jake Virtanen

FEBRUARY 26TH, 2014 Christopher RalphBY CHRISTOPHER RALPH

Jake Virtanen

THW’s NHL Draft War Room Rankings: #8

THW’s NHL Draft Rankings – The Next Ones Edition (aka Chris’s List): #7 (March 2014)

Jake Virtanen

Jake Virtanen (Photo by Brad Watson)

• Hashtag/Nickname: #LocomotiV, #JakeTheSnake
  • Team: #18, Calgary, WHL
  • Position: Left Wing
  • Shoots: Right
  • Height: 6’1
  • Weight: 210 lb.
  • Born: Abbotsford, BC, 17-Aug-96
  • Twitter: @Jake_Virtanen

Stats

Other Rankings

7 – ISS, Feb-14

9 – NHL Combined – Mid-term, Jan-14

10 – Bob MacKenzie, Jan-14

14 – Future Considerations, Feb-14

47 – Craig Button, Jan-14

He had Jake Virtanen ranked #47 in the 2014 draft... LMAO....

I lost respect for Button with this rating initially, but Jake's performance since the draft is indicating Button may have been somewhat on to something. 

He had an awful +1 draft year. Last season he had decent stretches and is physically ready for the NHL but also had a weak world juniors tournament. 

Not deserving of 47th, but not deserving of 6th either. 

• Upvote 1

Well, when you're right 51% of the time...

It is still too early to know where Virtanen "should" have placed.  Keep in mind that most players would not have been playing in the NHL so early, so he's had an abnormal development process.  Also note he brings a skillset that is relatively rare in his size and strength.   For a player like that, a GM might be willing to take a bit more of a chance on the event they end up with a Lucic-type player. 

I agree perhaps 6th seems a bit high, but it is still too early to tell.  He could still be pretty darn good for us, but I don't know how many believe he will be the 1st liner as hoped.  (Which might be ok if Boeser becomes that player instead).

As for Rodin and Larsen, I am hopeful on each but not at all confident on either.  If both manage to hit, it puts both our defense as well as right wing in a pretty darn good place.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, guntrix said:

We could ask that for many of the guys TSN keeps around. Dreger more specifically. 

Button may not be totally reliable but he at least does the dirty work and tries to watch as many prospects as he can in order to have the most educated opinion possible. I wouldn't rely on his projections but I respect him for working hard.

It's more than you can say for a hack like Dreger who gets paid to sit on his ass and tweet hail marys. In the case of Dreger, there's this saying that holds true: "If you throw a lot of $&!# at the wall, something's bound to stick."

And whatever ends up sticking, Dreger takes back off the wall, and puts in his hair.

• Upvote 1

I'll read Button's opinion.  Doesn't really bother me that I disagree with him quite often.  Healy however....

• Upvote 2