The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Button: Rodin and Larsen will contribute offensively to Canucks

googlesixtherapper

18 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I'm a big fan of Rodin so I hope he sticks... best case scenario we get an instant top six forward from an unlikely place. Worst case he doesn't make it, bolts to Europe and we lose almost nothing. It'll probably be somewhere in between those, though.

And If Larsen outscores Larsson I'll be thrilled... ^_^

Yeah, also excited about that potential double-larceny...

Be like Edmunchuk simultaneously getting their pocket pilfered, & their buttocks booted by the proverbial frozen mukluk.

:^)

27 minutes ago, googlesixtherapper said:

14:33 mark.. http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/button-rodin-and-larsen-will-contribute-offensively-to-canucks-1.526825

i totally think this guy knows whats up..what are your thoughts..i believe in rodin:))))))))))))))))

Iirc I believe he was saying canucks got a good player in Horvat but missed out on a future superstar with nichushkin. Also he was really high on Shinkraruk as the video belows shows

I am not saying he is wrong about Rodin and Larsen or has bad judgement on players but his guess is as good as ours. We have all read/heard the same scouting reports and most of us trust JB judgement with young players. That being said I think it's one of those stories the media feeds about a team that isn't the maple leafs to make that fan base feel good and have hope.

Hopefully these two players shine and become solid players for us in the future but we shouldn't put to much pressure on these kids over some guy who works for TSN. Remember Mike Milbury is still on TV after he destroyed a whole organization. There are very, very few people on TV/Radio/Newspaper that know what they are talking about.  

5 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I've never had any faith in anything he says.  I'm not even sure why TSN keeps him around.

There are worse guys out there, like Healy and Stock, but I honestly think I could do Buttons job.  There's a reason he's a scout and not an assistant gm or a gm for a reason. He's Charismatic and not awful so he gets tv time. His Virtanen going from like second round all the way to 6 was laughable. 

4 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He's still a scout.  You could bank on his opinion or you could bank on your own opinion?  He actually watches these guys play and has a lot of connections around the league.  I don't understand why somebody has to be 100% correct all the time just to get peoples respect.  

I like Button a lot more then I used to. He used to say the dumbest things about Vancouver, example: virtanen in the second round. How dumb is that? He's not that bad usually though, and no ones prefect. He had Boeser rated very high, and it looks like he will be right on that one. I still think I could do his job.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

He had Virtanen ranked in the second round but his actually mock draft had Virtanen at 6.  So he was actually correct on that one.  He just didn't feel like Virtanen was deserving of that spot.

Exactly. So he thought Virtanen should have went 2nd round. I think that shows why he's a tv personality and not an executive. Jake is still as raw as Eddie murphy and might turn into a star eventually. Krieder clone. 

Hopefully they do well here, I could see Larsen doing well since he's been in the league not too long ago and should be ready to work in the smaller rink sizes.  With more development of his skill overseas I have higher expectations for him to contribute to the team, otherwise he just might go back to Europe like so many others before him who just couldn't find their game here.

Rodin looks promising, he has a good release in highlight videos but there's also more space, so I'm going to wait and see how he performs.  Wouldn't be surprised if he had a rocky start to his NHL career, but if he can put up 25-30 points as a mature rookie I'd take that.  

29 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He's still a scout.  You could bank on his opinion or you could bank on your own opinion?  He actually watches these guys play and has a lot of connections around the league.  I don't understand why somebody has to be 100% correct all the time just to get peoples respect.  

Yea a scout who think he's genious and everytime he has the mic goes for the shock value  He just wants to shove his opinion down your throat and it's his opinion or the highway

39 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Iirc I believe he was saying canucks got a good player in Horvat but missed out on a future superstar with nichushkin. Also he was really high on Shinkraruk as the video belows shows

I am not saying he is wrong about Rodin and Larsen or has bad judgement on players but his guess is as good as ours. We have all read/heard the same scouting reports and most of us trust JB judgement with young players. That being said I think it's one of those stories the media feeds about a team that isn't the maple leafs to make that fan base feel good and have hope.

Hopefully these two players shine and become solid players for us in the future but we shouldn't put to much pressure on these kids over some guy who works for TSN. Remember Mike Milbury is still on TV after he destroyed a whole organization. There are very, very few people on TV/Radio/Newspaper that know what they are talking about.  

He had Jake Virtanen ranked #47 in the 2014 draft... LMAO....

NHL Draft War Room: Jake Virtanen

FEBRUARY 26TH, 2014 Christopher RalphBY CHRISTOPHER RALPH

Jake Virtanen

THW’s NHL Draft War Room Rankings: #8

THW’s NHL Draft Rankings – The Next Ones Edition (aka Chris’s List): #7 (March 2014)

Jake Virtanen

Jake Virtanen (Photo by Brad Watson)

• Hashtag/Nickname: #LocomotiV, #JakeTheSnake
  • Team: #18, Calgary, WHL
  • Position: Left Wing
  • Shoots: Right
  • Height: 6’1
  • Weight: 210 lb.
  • Born: Abbotsford, BC, 17-Aug-96
  • Twitter: @Jake_Virtanen

Stats

Other Rankings

7 – ISS, Feb-14

9 – NHL Combined – Mid-term, Jan-14

10 – Bob MacKenzie, Jan-14

14 – Future Considerations, Feb-14

47 – Craig Button, Jan-14

He had Jake Virtanen ranked #47 in the 2014 draft... LMAO....

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

I've never had any faith in anything he says.  I'm not even sure why TSN keeps him around.

We could ask that for many of the guys TSN keeps around. Dreger more specifically. 

Button may not be totally reliable but he at least does the dirty work and tries to watch as many prospects as he can in order to have the most educated opinion possible. I wouldn't rely on his projections but I respect him for working hard.

It's more than you can say for a hack like Dreger who gets paid to sit on his ass and tweet hail marys. In the case of Dreger, there's this saying that holds true: "If you throw a lot of $&!# at the wall, something's bound to stick."

Archived