The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Format for World Cup is designed to prevent Canada or US from winning

Do not like the format the 'World Cup' with the 'North America' team.

Since when do the best young players in Soccer get shunted off from their native countries to a 'Europe' or 'South America' team?

Why do Canadian fans have to watch McDavid play for other than Canada?

It makes sense to combine the smaller European countries into one team to give them a chance... but not the siphoning off of the young stars of the US and Canada into some nebulous 'North America' team...  Screw it, I'm from Canada, not some bureaucrats imaginary region.

Comments?

Canada has an excellent chance of winning.  If it was all just for the countries, most of the young players wouldn't be making team Canada.  This way we can see young kids too.  Really though, this tourney is just another cash grab by the NHL like the outdoor classic

People have NO IDEA the trubs this World Cup nonsense will cause...

Lucic will make the team, due to zika virus fears..this all resulting from nasty climate change.

McD makes a funny face at him during stoppage. Y'know, bonding with the new Oct teammate, & all. Luc misreads the tea leaves & LOSES it(ala the Champ). Puts the kid into the boards, & subsequent intensive care.

The media go into a frenzy. Chia scrambles his marbles & deals Lucic, RNH & Talbot for Chara & Rask. Edm still has cap issues.

They keep spiraling to the bottom of the toilet bowl. Distraught Katz decides to flush the whole mess to Mexico city(league goes global).

Taylor Hall wins the scoring title.

The end.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

People have NO IDEA the trubs this World Cup nonsense will cause...

Lucic will make the team, due to zika virus fears..this all resulting from nasty climate change.

McD makes a funny face at him during stoppage. Y'know, bonding with the new Oct teammate, & all. Luc misreads the tea leaves & LOSES it(ala the Champ). Puts the kid into the boards, & subsequent intensive care.

The media go into a frenzy. Chia scrambles his marbles & deals Lucic, RNH & Talbot for Chara & Rask. Edm still has cap issues.

They keep spiraling to the bottom of the toilet bowl. Distraught Katz decides to flush the whole mess to Mexico city(league goes global).

Taylor Hall wins the scoring title.

The end.

I'd say that's textbook Hollywood except you didn't leave room for the sequel.

42 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

The entire tournament will be a collective groin injury. 

I think Team North America has a distinct advantage.

I feel like the older guys will get injured or take it easy for fear of an injury.

Honestly with the amount of young skill Team North America has, I'm really surprised they aren't being taken seriously. I think they have enough talent to upset a couple teams. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

As said before, this is just a blatant money grab.  If the NHL thinks this is going to replace the Olympics in importance, they're kidding themselves.

Absolutely.

As well Bettman is playing chicken with the IIHF. The count is determined to win a peeing contest with Fasel.

22 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Absolutely.

As well Bettman is playing chicken with the IIHF. The count is determined to win a peeing contest with Fasel.

Heh, yeah, too bad it's the fans that have to suffer from the backsplash of that contest.

This is one case where I actually agree with Bettman.  The NHL stops their season for weeks probably during the worst time for many US franchises (after the Superbowl, less competition) and doesn't get any (or much) compensation.  As a fan, nothing compares to a best-on-best tournament when all the players are in mid-season form.  A late summer "World Cup" event even with a format similar to the Olympics isn't quite the same.

If Fasel and Bettman can't sort something out, as a fan the NHL needs to get rid of the Young Stars and Europe teams.  I get it Bettman, you don't want a Swiss team in the tournament with 2/3rds of the roster not in the NHL.  But it's just soooooo hokey.  If they could agree to a World Cup mid-season, even better, but I think that's a pipe dream.

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Heh, yeah, too bad it's the fans that have to suffer from the backsplash of that contest.

This is one case where I actually agree with Bettman.  The NHL stops their season for weeks probably during the worst time for many US franchises (after the Superbowl, less competition) and doesn't get any (or much) compensation.  As a fan, nothing compares to a best-on-best tournament when all the players are in mid-season form.  A late summer "World Cup" event even with a format similar to the Olympics isn't quite the same.

If Fasel and Bettman can't sort something out, as a fan the NHL needs to get rid of the Young Stars and Europe teams.  I get it Bettman, you don't want a Swiss team in the tournament with 2/3rds of the roster not in the NHL.  But it's just soooooo hokey.  If they could agree to a World Cup mid-season, even better, but I think that's a pipe dream.

You make some great points.

Gary is cherry picking though. He's wanted to be in the last few Olympics to grow the game. Now he's willing to skip the 2018 games. I strongly suspect he would like to expose the market in China in 2022 to the NHL after the South Korean games.

He's as greasy as they come.

18 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

It's like the all star game...what will they think up next.

See, if they added a Team NA-style youth showcase to the All Star game, I think that would be cool. But tacking it on to the cash grab that is the World Cup seems like almost an afterthought.

Archived