The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistically, who CAN we Trade for a GOOD Second Liner

I love spending time on this forum in the summer as it helps with hockey withdrawals.  That said I have read a lot (too much) talk on Hansen, Sbisa, and lottery tickets been thrown around for guys like Landeskog, Kane (ew no thanks) Hartnell, Krejci, or lets just say good second liners with a sprinkle of decent first liners.   

This team would benifit greatly if we had a second line that could take the pressure off the Sedins, and even allow them to become the second line (wishful thinking I know).

Quantity doesn't equal quality, read that alot too, and agree.  Also think that one bird in hand is better than two in the bush as it goes to lottery tickets - ie if you know the stats on 1st, 2nd rounders we are better off having an NHL caliber player in almost all cases.  Less than 50% of first rounders play 100nhl games BTW.  

So with that in mind whom can we trade to get what the team needs upfront? Hansen isn't going anywhere as his cap hit is too nice and Benning publicly stated that he isn't going anywhere (and besides equal value suggests we aren't getting what we need by trading him anyways).   Tanev is the only guy teams would be interested on defense, and that would be silly considering we just started to fix that side of things.  Horvat would garner some interest but wouldn't likely get what we need and is somewhat counterintuitive.  Sutter?  Doubtful and we wouldn't improve anyhow.  Edler NTC and low stock...and would hurt us more likely than not.  Sbisa - we all wish but not going to happen.

To me IF he wants to get a second liner 50-55pt guy Tanev (+) is his only real option, and to a team that needs defense and can spare the forwards.  

I do realize that lopsided trades do occur, so you never know - and that NTC don't mean much if you GM comes up to you and says we are trading you (it happens), guys don't like staying where they are not wanted.

Maybe Benning plans to trade this years Oli and Tanev?  Was that his plan all along?

Ideas anyone?  

I honestly don't know what can be offered. Top 6 forwards unless they have bad contracts will cost this team more prospects and picks. Don't think it's feasible to trade those kinds of pieces so you are likely looking at a guy like Hartnell. 

Since we added Eriksson, have Hansen, and Boeser on route....  Jake Virtanen could be trade bait imo.  We wouldnt be looking to move him and I dont think hed be on the table for Kane.  But for Landeskog...  Id be looking into that.  Van would still have to add, but you get a character heavy Swede to play in your top 6 for the next decade or so...  That might be worth a lottery protected 2017 1st round pick to get bantered about.

To van:

Landeskog

Barrie

To Col:

Tanev

Virtanen

Sbisa (usable cap dump)

2017 1st (lottery protected meaning if they win a lottery, the pick moves to 2018 unprotected)

pretty competitive roster after that move imo:

sedin sedin hansen

landeskog sutter eriksson

baertschi horvat burrows/rodin

etem granlund/gaunce dorsett

edler barrie

hutton gudbranson

tryamkin larsen

Deal doesnt really make much sense for Colorado though. :(

I look forward to the day when CDC stops suggesting that we trade young players that we've been wanting to have for 20 years as soon as we draft them.

We might as well just trade away our next 15 1st round picks if we don't plan to keep any.

Good question.

Sounds like we're not trading picks, and safe to assume we're not trading top 6 forwards, any of our new core/foundational players or A prospects. I also can't see us trading a top 4 D (maybe wishful thinking).

So... what is the value of an average (but legit) 2LW, when paying in a combination of these assets:

1. B or C level prospect (e.g. Gaunce, Cassels, Subban, Pedan)

2. bottom 6 forward (e.g. Granlund, Burrows - $ retained, Etem, Dorsett)

3. 3rd pair or depth D ( Sbisa, Tryamkin, Larson) 

My guess is at least 2 of the best assets from any of these groups for a decent 2LW.

If you were another teams GM, what is the most attractive package from that group?

My guess, IF we do find a suitable trade - we will give an NHL ready prospect with upside + a proven roster player.

Tryamkin + Burrows (50% retained)

(to be clear, I don't want to trade Try, but want to be realistic)

OR 

Gaunce + Sbisa

18 minutes ago, 70seven said:

To van:

Landeskog

Barrie

To Col:

Tanev

Virtanen

Sbisa (usable cap dump)

2017 1st (lottery protected meaning if they win a lottery, the pick moves to 2018 unprotected)

Sibsa has negative value.

The Canucks get a ton of value, and give up some value.  Not nearly enough.  You probably gave up enough for Barrie only.

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Good question.

Sounds like we're not trading picks, and safe to assume we're not trading top 6 forwards, any of our new core/foundational players or A prospects. I also can't see us trading a top 4 D (maybe wishful thinking).

So... what is the value of an average (but legit) 2LW, when paying in a combination of these assets:

My guess is at least 2 of the best assets from any of these groups for a decent 2LW.

If you were another teams GM, what is the most attractive package from that group?

My guess, IF we do find a suitable trade - we will give an NHL ready prospect with upside + a proven roster player.

OR 

Gaunce + Sbisa

Players like Shisa and Gaunce together likely have zero value, since Sbisa has negative value.

You aren't getting a 2nd line player without giving up something of real value, not for bits and scraps.

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Good question.

OR 

Gaunce + Sbisa

Well thought out.  The whole idea of how we can get a good/decent second liner (50-55pts) is we have to give back something of equal value, or if we are lucky picks and prospects to a team that is loaded already but is trying to deepen a bad prospect pool (thinking of the future).   Equal value to me is Tanev (+), Horvat (++) or Elder would have to be in the mix.  I like the Try + Burrows even though I also want to see this guy develop.  

If we really want a good player, then we have to give up a good player.  We have to make a hockey trade....not a trade to get rid of spare parts.  If we want a good winger, then expect to give up pieces like Horvat, Tanev, Hutton, Hansen, Edler, Virtanen.  GM's are not going to trade us their 50pt players for Gaunce, Burrows, Dorsett, Sibsa, Pedan, etc. 

Archived