The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistically, who CAN we Trade for a GOOD Second Liner

Do you think the Leafs would trade Brooks Laich for Burrows?  They each have one year left then UFA bound and both cost same.  I am just spitballing but if Laich is closer to his fiancee and knows that he will be in Los Angeles area more often, maybe it would encourage him to play like a 2nd line left winger and score the 20+ goals needed.

Alex Burrows is 35 yr - 6'1" 190 lbs LW - ($4.5 mil) 1 year left with NTC (9 goals-22 pts in 79 games)

Laich is 33 yr - 6'2" 210 lbs LW - ($4.5 mil) 1 year left then UFA (2 goals-14 points in 81 games between Caps and Leafs)

Hartnell is 34 yr - 6'2" 209 lbs LW - ($4.75 mil) 3 yr remaining with a No Movement Clause (23 goals-49 pts in 79 games)

E. Kane is 25 yr - 6'2" 198lbs LW - ($5.25 mil) 2 yr and does not have a NTC (20 goals-35 pts in 65 games)

The Leafs might have Laich slotted in their fourth lineup this coming year.  But I am kind of an optimist.  I would take a gamble on Laich rather than take a 3 year NMC for Hartnell and pay that amount when the idea would be to have this one year to give Baertschi a full year on 3rd or 4th to develop.

And as for Kane, he would be the biggest gamble.  Would be a headliner trade and deal to get him as well.  He is injury prone as well so if Benning is a safe bet kind of guy, then maybe the safest bet would be Laich.

Thoughts?

49 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Cool story bro, good job taking every comment at face value.

Thanks for being so upfront, not often people admit to being full of crap. Your admission will save me valuable time in the future as I pass by your posts.

3 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i agree...but i have a feeling he may try and pick up a gritty winger, that can slide up and down the lines...either long term or short term..they seem determined to make the playoffs every year while developing their young players in that kind of environment ...i know, that is not popular with some fans, but imo, learning to play the game from the present core and not being put in a position to fail mightily until their skills and play take over is one way to build the team...let the young players push the old core out when they are capable to take over..

I agree, infact that is essentialy what i said, rebuild while staying some what competitive, thus allowing the young guys time to grow and be mentored by the vets, i agree with you, this is the best way to rebuild, we will have to be patient and much more supportive of the team during this transition, and not be so eager to throw guys " under the bus" as our fan base has a tendancy to do. We have a great and exciting thing happening here, can't wait for the season to start!

7 minutes ago, bleedblue2017 said:

I agree, infact that is essentialy what i said, rebuild while staying some what competitive, thus allowing the young guys time to grow and be mentored by the vets, i agree with you, this is the best way to rebuild, we will have to be patient and much more supportive of the team during this transition, and not be so eager to throw guys " under the bus" as our fan base has a tendancy to do. We have a great and exciting thing happening here, can't wait for the season to start!

Well said.  The next couple years could weed out the fairweather fans, and it will be a test for those that grew up in the Luongo era and were, dare I say, spoiled rotten with all the winning.  Traditionally this team, as with most other teams, goes through a cycle of winning followed by change of core and a lot of losing before the cycle swings up again.  The Pat Quinn team was competitive and always had a shot, and a lot of fun to watch...then Dark Days and Keenan...followed by a good Crawford/Naslund team supported late by the Sedins....until Luongo arrived and after a year BOOM.   Myself, and all the fans should expect Benning to do his best to try and win while the Sedins are still here, and then most likely some lean years until three or four of the young guys bud.  We should be patient, and expect that unless we become extremely lucky with recent and future picks that making the playoffs will be a challenge year in year out.   As for the original thread, getting a good second liner is going to be very difficult given what we would likely have to give up in return (Tanev, Horvat, Elder if he allows it - and possibly Baer, Boesser, Virtanen and even this years pick - pretty sure they wanted a forward at least that is what he publicy stated).   Looking forward to seeing what Benning does next...

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well said.  The next couple years could weed out the fairweather fans, and it will be a test for those that grew up in the Luongo era and were, dare I say, spoiled rotten with all the winning.  Traditionally this team, as with most other teams, goes through a cycle of winning followed by change of core and a lot of losing before the cycle swings up again.  The Pat Quinn team was competitive and always had a shot, and a lot of fun to watch...then Dark Days and Keenan...followed by a good Crawford/Naslund team supported late by the Sedins....until Luongo arrived and after a year BOOM.   Myself, and all the fans should expect Benning to do his best to try and win while the Sedins are still here, and then most likely some lean years until three or four of the young guys bud.  We should be patient, and expect that unless we become extremely lucky with recent and future picks that making the playoffs will be a challenge year in year out.   As for the original thread, getting a good second liner is going to be very difficult given what we would likely have to give up in return (Tanev, Horvat, Elder if he allows it - and possibly Baer, Boesser, Virtanen and even this years pick - pretty sure they wanted a forward at least that is what he publicy stated).   Looking forward to seeing what Benning does next...

I am still trying to figure out why JB drafted who he did. There were guys that are way better available, ie... Gauthier, Chychurin, Brown, i mean seriously JB those guys are the types we are trying to trade for now, good grief. Oh well, we honestly aren't that far off if we only need " one more winger" i think we will be ok!

Just now, bleedblue2017 said:

I am still trying to figure out why JB drafted who he did. There were guys that are way better available, ie... Gauthier, Chychurin, Brown, i mean seriously JB those guys are the types we are trying to trade for now, good grief. Oh well, we honestly aren't that far off if we only need " one more winger" i think we will be ok!

I am 99% sure that he lost his first choice before he drafted.  Plan B must of been the safest pick he could make, which was most likely who we got.  Lets hope he turns out better than expected and that we don't dread missing on a future Weber in Chychurin...

Just now, IBatch said:

I am 99% sure that he lost his first choice before he drafted.  Plan B must of been the safest pick he could make, which was most likely who we got.  Lets hope he turns out better than expected and that we don't dread missing on a future Weber in Chychurin...

Indeed! Not to sure if this kid is more safe than a for sure in Chychurin, Brown, or Gauthier though, just abit confussed with the pick, I would have taken any one of those three before who JB picked, those three are future superstars, in the next three years, or this year. Our pick is a question mark.

9 minutes ago, bleedblue2017 said:

Indeed! Not to sure if this kid is more safe than a for sure in Chychurin, Brown, or Gauthier though, just abit confussed with the pick, I would have taken any one of those three before who JB picked, those three are future superstars, in the next three years, or this year. Our pick is a question mark.

Chychurin, Brown, Gauthier and Tchkuck were all impressive prospects - I liked Gauthier's physicality especially, Browns lineage and size but wasn't sold on Chychurin he slipped from battling for first overall, then second and then all the way down for good reason.  He was a man child at 15 and wailed on his opposition then, but didn't grow and couldn't push his way around the same once the rest caught up to him a bit in size.  Not sure why he would be so interested in a second liner when he had good chance of getting one instantly in Tchkuck - that is a big head scratcher.  I think Benning did pick the safest defenseman available in the draft, possibly not the best though but at least he doesn't come with much worry and lets face it we don't have much coming up defense wise.  Oli is an awesome prospect, and he has just as much ore more chance of making it in the NHL than any of these other guys named here (lots of top ten picks never make it) lets hope he is more Lindstrom than Matta.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Chychurin, Brown, Gauthier and Tchkuck were all impressive prospects - I liked Gauthier's physicality especially, Browns lineage and size but wasn't sold on Chychurin he slipped from battling for first overall, then second and then all the way down for good reason.  He was a man child at 15 and wailed on his opposition then, but didn't grow and couldn't push his way around the same once the rest caught up to him a bit in size.  Not sure why he would be so interested in a second liner when he had good chance of getting one instantly in Tchkuck - that is a big head scratcher.  I think Benning did pick the safest defenseman available in the draft, possibly not the best though but at least he doesn't come with much worry and lets face it we don't have much coming up defense wise.  Oli is an awesome prospect, and he has just as much ore more chance of making it in the NHL than any of these other guys named here (lots of top ten picks never make it) lets hope he is more Lindstrom than Matta.

Lol, true. Jared Hauf was available to, at 6'5" 215 with some decent up side aswell, there were many more options, i agree Oli does look good, but there were others that given the type of guys JB and Linden are looking for, fitted the bill much more to the description, having said that i do agree with you, i hope Oli can prove me wrong, that would be cool:)

I agree that we really don't have the assets required to get what we want via trade,  unless we totally fleece another team somehow. 

I think benning needs to take a real hard look at Virtanen this coming season,  and figure out if he's going to be the player that was hoped.   His value isn't going to be higher than now,  if he cannot find a consistent game.  Don't get me wrong,  I want virtanen around....  But if he's only going to amount to a 3rd line player,  he could be a piece. 

I don't think we want to trade tanev.   He has a good cap hit,  and is our most consistent defensive defenseman by far.   If he was gone,  Gud is the only one who could take those tough assignments,  and not as well either.  

We wouldn't get much for Tryamkin at this point, nor would I want to.  I think he will be an important role player.

I do think our defense is where we could lose one player without massive impact though.  If we intend on playing Larsen regularly,  we have one too many NHL level blueliners.   Therefore, it seems to me that sbisa and Edler are the odd men out.  I dont think Sbisa has negative value as suggested, but I dont think he would sweeten any deal too much.

That means our only option there for an impact player is Edler, but with his contract vs production, i believe there would be limted takers.  Plus there is his contact clause.

We could stand to lose Baertschi if it meant getting a solid #2 guy, but even there, he wouldnt get much, and i see good potential in his game that might end up biting us in the butt.

In the end, the only way we get what we want is to give up a player we ultimately need.

I think we really missed the boat when it comes to a secondary scoring guy on the 2nd.  Brouwer would have been solid; im somewhat surprised we couldn't convimce him to join this squad.

1 hour ago, bleedblue2017 said:

obviously, benning doesn't have your knowledge and experience drafting players...

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Lol, true. Jared Hauf was available to, at 6'5" 215 with some decent up side aswell, there were many more options, i agree Oli does look good, but there were others that given the type of guys JB and Linden are looking for, fitted the bill much more to the description, having said that i do agree with you, i hope Oli can prove me wrong, that would be cool:)

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He wants a 2nd liner that can fill in until Baertschi is ready to claim the spot.  Similar to what he is doing with Horvat re Sutter at C2 for now.  He doesn't want to put pressure on them but allow them to develop at their own pace.  His quote is 'At some point that 2nd line is where (Baertschi) is going to be...'.

26 minutes ago, mll said:

He wants a 2nd liner that can fill in until Baertschi is ready to claim the spot.  Similar to what he is doing with Horvat re Sutter at C2 for now.  He doesn't want to put pressure on them but allow them to develop at their own pace.  His quote is 'At some point that 2nd line is where (Baertschi) is going to be...'.

How true...will be interesting to see what he does, and how he acquires this player, and who that player will be.

We will not be getting any big names via trade. We have nothing of value to trade realistically. We will keep all our starters... But hopefully get rid of Sbisa somehow (Trading for another bad contract maybe).

We are going to stay put with what we have or aim lower via trade... For a third liner that will play on a second line. Or just wait for the trade deadline mid season.

9 hours ago, Ryanstorm said:

Benning is the better judge but Yak is not quite a full rounded player but maybe it could work.

Edmonton won't do that trade with us. They will send him to the east, just like Hall. They don't want to see their mistakes if a trade blows up on them. 

4 hours ago, Odjick_fan said:

Do you think the Leafs would trade Brooks Laich for Burrows?  They each have one year left then UFA bound and both cost same.  I am just spitballing but if Laich is closer to his fiancee and knows that he will be in Los Angeles area more often, maybe it would encourage him to play like a 2nd line left winger and score the 20+ goals needed.

Alex Burrows is 35 yr - 6'1" 190 lbs LW - ($4.5 mil) 1 year left with NTC (9 goals-22 pts in 79 games)

Laich is 33 yr - 6'2" 210 lbs LW - ($4.5 mil) 1 year left then UFA (2 goals-14 points in 81 games between Caps and Leafs)

Hartnell is 34 yr - 6'2" 209 lbs LW - ($4.75 mil) 3 yr remaining with a No Movement Clause (23 goals-49 pts in 79 games)

E. Kane is 25 yr - 6'2" 198lbs LW - ($5.25 mil) 2 yr and does not have a NTC (20 goals-35 pts in 65 games)

The Leafs might have Laich slotted in their fourth lineup this coming year.  But I am kind of an optimist.  I would take a gamble on Laich rather than take a 3 year NMC for Hartnell and pay that amount when the idea would be to have this one year to give Baertschi a full year on 3rd or 4th to develop.

And as for Kane, he would be the biggest gamble.  Would be a headliner trade and deal to get him as well.  He is injury prone as well so if Benning is a safe bet kind of guy, then maybe the safest bet would be Laich.

Thoughts?

No thanks to Brooks. I would rather keep Burrows. Brooks is not going to suddenly become a 20 goal a scorer. He only got 2 last year in 81 games. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I wanted Chychrun, but in hindsight I like Juolevi.  We need defence more than second line left wingers. Tkachuk would have been good, but you don't draft for immediate needs. 

You draft the player you think will be the best in 3-5 years. No matter the teams immediate needs. 

Tkachuk and Juolevi will most likely be playing on the same team this year anyways. 

I'd be okay with a Tanev deal... But I wouldn't be. If we got a Landeskog... Then yeah... It's gotta be debated and talked about. Now say a Tanev and Virtanen deal for Barrie and Landeskog... Would almost have to take a look at that as well. It's tough though. You don't want to give up these players but you have to make the tough hockey decisions. The advantage to the trade for us is neither player is over 30. Landeskog is Virtanen, just better well rounder, but still that big body. But maybe Virt over achieves and out does Landeskog when he gets to his age. Really tough to say. Tanev is obviously better defensively and Barrie's better defensively. But with Tryamkin maybe it makes Tanev expendable. Really tough to say though. 

Also so if you can get E.Kane for a low end deal type I'd do it. Even Yakupov for a 2nd rounder type thing. Worth the gamble on those 2!

Archived