The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistically, who CAN we Trade for a GOOD Second Liner

3 hours ago, bleedblue2017 said:

Indeed! Not to sure if this kid is more safe than a for sure in Chychurin, Brown, or Gauthier though, just abit confussed with the pick, I would have taken any one of those three before who JB picked, those three are future superstars, in the next three years, or this year. Our pick is a question mark.

Sometimes what is obvious to the casual fan just isn't obvious to the professional that's spent their entire adult life working in the NHL.

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

I love spending time on this forum in the summer as it helps with hockey withdrawals.  That said I have read a lot (too much) talk on Hansen, Sbisa, and lottery tickets been thrown around for guys like Landeskog, Kane (ew no thanks) Hartnell, Krejci, or lets just say good second liners with a sprinkle of decent first liners.   

This team would benifit greatly if we had a second line that could take the pressure off the Sedins, and even allow them to become the second line (wishful thinking I know).

Quantity doesn't equal quality, read that alot too, and agree.  Also think that one bird in hand is better than two in the bush as it goes to lottery tickets - ie if you know the stats on 1st, 2nd rounders we are better off having an NHL caliber player in almost all cases.  Less than 50% of first rounders play 100nhl games BTW.  

So with that in mind whom can we trade to get what the team needs upfront? Hansen isn't going anywhere as his cap hit is too nice and Benning publicly stated that he isn't going anywhere (and besides equal value suggests we aren't getting what we need by trading him anyways).   Tanev is the only guy teams would be interested on defense, and that would be silly considering we just started to fix that side of things.  Horvat would garner some interest but wouldn't likely get what we need and is somewhat counterintuitive.  Sutter?  Doubtful and we wouldn't improve anyhow.  Edler NTC and low stock...and would hurt us more likely than not.  Sbisa - we all wish but not going to happen.

To me IF he wants to get a second liner 50-55pt guy Tanev (+) is his only real option, and to a team that needs defense and can spare the forwards.  

I do realize that lopsided trades do occur, so you never know - and that NTC don't mean much if you GM comes up to you and says we are trading you (it happens), guys don't like staying where they are not wanted.

Maybe Benning plans to trade this years Oli and Tanev?  Was that his plan all along?

Ideas anyone?  

If JB really wants that 50-60pt/year second liner, then we have to stomach the loss of one of our strong roster players going the other way:  Tanev, Hutton, Hansen:     Hansen, Tanev, and a 1st MIGHT get your that 50point guy you're looking for.

Landeskog straight up for Tanev, or add a second round pick if necessary.

Next year the Canucks are predicted to be a top three pick in the draft, a draft with many excellent defence men.

While I believe many posters over value the players on the team's roster, Tryamkin seems to be vastly under valued or it could be I am guilty of over valuing him myself. BUT, I see him, in his limited games so far, as a top 4 and more than possible top 2 defence man within two years.

Combined with Hutton and the expected play of Gudbranson, Tanev would be missed but is the best piece to be moved.

Kane just might have too much baggage for this market.

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived