The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] Namestnikov

Tampa has a boat load of offensive talent. Assuming they are able to resign Johnson and Palat before next summer their top 6 is set for a while I would think.

Stamkos, Johnson, Kucherov, Drouin, Palat, Killorn

Canucks should target Namestnikov. Former 1st round pick, Played for the London Knights at the same time as Bo Horvat which is a nice fun fact. Also Horvat could have some insight into the type of character he is as a person and hockey player. We know that is a big thing we target with most of our acquisitions in the Linden/Benning era.

Namestnikov has proven to be able to produce in Junior, PPG in the A and just played a full nhl season where he had 14g 21a Not Bad!

Stats here: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130533

He is a C, yes a smaller C, but he could be a nice replacement for the departure of McCann. I see him as the type of C that could fit well with Boeser or Virtanen, heck even both if Jake plays the LW.

Also, he is Russian, so that would be a nice addition to add to big T.

Not sure if Tampa would be willing to trade him, but we could make a trade offer, someone with a sliding 2 way contract and a pick or a cheaper 1 way deal.

Gaunce or Cassels- 2 way contract gives them flexibility of having him in the A without needing waivers

Rights to Grenier- Gives them a cheap W option who likely signs a 2 way deal.

Columbus 2nd round pick 17/18 whenever they give it up for the Torts hiring

I realize this isn't a stunning offer, but they do risk losing him in a year to expansion for nothing

I think they have to trade one of kucherov, Nesterov, or Namestnikov. Last I checked they are at 47 contracts (out of 50) and with Killorn signing recently, they can only sign 2 of those players. 

I'm not sure about, who will be going back to junior, and the formalities of when all that happens. But I'm pretty sure they can only have 50 contracts at a time including the summer.

Kid has grit too.

Knows how to toss em when he needs too.

I remember when he was drafted scouts and GM Yzerman raved about Vlad's hockey sense and lauded about how he was a player that showed up every night.  Not a physical kid nor is he offensively going to dominate games, but his work ethic would have teams lining up for him.  

If his ticket is cheap enough and the Lightning aren't asking too much, I wouldn't hesitate to snag him.

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think Tampa's likely to move a forward for defenseman at some point in the near future, but I'd be surprised if Namestnikov were the guy they'd deal.

Tampa does like Canuck D....

Signed Ohlund and Salo and traded for Garrison.

I would be shocked if Tampa moved Kucherov, but maybe he is pricing himself out of town? Would cost alot to acquire him but he would sure fit in on our team. I see he is listed as a RW anyone know if he plays LW also. ?

His performance next season, if playing in tampa, will decide whether he is exposed at expansion draft or not.

top 7 F: Stamkos, triplets, Drouin, Killorn, + one of Namestnikov, Filps or Callahan (I expect callahan exposed for cap reason)

top 3 D: Hedman, Sustr, Stralman

goalie: Vasilevskiy

OP you're grasping at straws and making connections that aren't there. JB isn't going after a guy just because he's Russian or because he played in London.   Just because Hansen vouched for Larsen doesn't mean management is going around asking players who they should trade for. 

Is he big - no.

Is he physical - no.

Is he a winger - no.

Can he put up 2nd line numbers - hasn't yet,  so remains to be seen. 

0/4 of JB's sought after attributes = highly unlikely target imo. 

8 hours ago, PlanB said:

OP you're grasping at straws and making connections that aren't there. JB isn't going after a guy just because he's Russian or because he played in London.   Just because Hansen vouched for Larsen doesn't mean management is going around asking players who they should trade for. 

Is he big - no.

Is he physical - no.

Is he a winger - no.

Can he put up 2nd line numbers - hasn't yet,  so remains to be seen. 

0/4 of JB's sought after attributes = highly unlikely target imo. 

Did I say he was big physical or a winger...No

Can he play wing, yes.

Did we lose a skilled C recently? Yes, McCann.

Other than Horvat what C who is 25 or younger do we have with his skillset? Oh ya nobody.

So to say we should not have interest or inquire would be the wrong thing to do. Also, I did not say because of the London or Russian factor was the reason we should acquire him, but does it help, sure, has Benning not proved since being hired that he brings in his coach, digs gets the coaches past players in? Does he not like the type of talent London produces? I would say yes he does. Would he add a Russian to our team, ya I think he would for the right price.\

This is a Discussion about Namestnikov, notice how I did NOT post this in the rumour thread about the "canucks looking for a big scoring winger."  Did you fail to realize this is a complete seperate topic about trying to acquire a young skilled forward, something we do still lack, especially at C.

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Doubtful JB is interested in a smallish, non physical center with average numbers,  even if he's younger.

This is the west - where size still matters.

he went and got Granlund, and he wont have as successful or productive of a career as Namestnikov. Well thats just my opinion.

We need to realize our organization does still lack skilled C. I dont get why ppl want to raise the who size issue. We have a midget in our division who has been lighting up the league since he joined. But hey if he aint over 6ft and 200lbs ppl will continue to label them undersized and not worthy.

I take a Gaudreau, Johnson, Gallagher on the Canucks anyday. Size is only a part of it. Its the players will and determination and knowledge or where to be and how to avoid the devasting hits that is the more important

Watch Tampa Bay all the time, yes Vladdy is loved at Tampa. He also had a bit of a break out season this year. Personally can't see him being taken in the draft expansion over others but come on...

Gaunce or Cassels- 2 way contract gives them flexibility of having him in the A without needing waivers

Rights to Grenier- Gives them a cheap W option who likely signs a 2 way deal.

Columbus 2nd round pick 17/18 whenever they give it up for the Torts hiring

Those are horrible offers for Vlad, this is a guy nowhere near his prime getting 35 points on a third line, also played second line during Stamkos's abscence as Tyler Johnson was bumped up to the first line. If you want to be realistic in getting Vlad you need to offer two things which Tampa like, a Big C on the third OR a Defence men of quality at a good price. The first option we simply can't offer that, Defence men perspective we need our D. So it would be a real long shot going for Vlad

But... if the canucks got him I definitely think he has second line potential, he's proven that this season without a shadow of a doubt, he's just on a super stacked team, although at times such as the toronto game this season in January he was given 20 minutes of ice team, he's a trusted player. Would him to play for us but I'm not sure we can offer anything that Yzerman will think okay, i'll have some of that.

Archived