The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) VAN FLA minor trade

Dorsett for Shaw

Shaw would be a great depth FWD.  He's got size and has a good shot. His stats aren't the most eye popping but he plays with a lot of heart. He is only 23 and can help defensively. Faria has a lot of youth and could use a player like Dorset to help mentor them and stick up for them. Shaw would be a great add for Utica and a good call up option, he has a chance of becoming a solid bottom 6 FWD. This way Dorsett doesn't have to watch from the press box if guys like Etem and Rodin show they are ready.

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Burrows Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Rodin

Gaunce Granlund Etem

I don't see the need for a player like Shaw in our system. Extremely mediocre stats in all levels of his development - didn't even light up the QMJHL when he was there. We have a lot of developing prospects that want to fight for a spot on that fourth line and adding another player to the mix wouldn't help the situation.

I would love to see Dorsett shipped out - but Shaw doesn't look like he's going anywhere fast and we may as well give Dorsett away for free. I'd rather see us trade Dorsett for some mid to late round picks and/or a B level prospect.

13 minutes ago, Fateless said:

I don't see the need for a player like Shaw in our system. Extremely mediocre stats in all levels of his development - didn't even light up the QMJHL when he was there. We have a lot of developing prospects that want to fight for a spot on that fourth line and adding another player to the mix wouldn't help the situation.

I would love to see Dorsett shipped out - but Shaw doesn't look like he's going anywhere fast and we may as well give Dorsett away for free. I'd rather see us trade Dorsett for some mid to late round picks and/or a B level prospect.

Don't think Dorsett will return value. His contract isn't very good. If he can be given away for free that would be ideal. I do the OP's proposal easily.

Big fan of Dorsett, I am biased because I love his guts and passion for the game. Much like how he stands up to heavyweights at his size, I will stick up for him versus the majority of CDC :)

Guys who play with honor and follow the code get my respect any day of the week. Plus, he can kill penalties, skate, get in on the forecheck.....add to this that our 4th line on more than a few occasions was our best line! 

I do realize we now have Guddy and Trymak, but our forward group still does not have enough grit, trading Dors away for nothing would not be wise IMO. 

To be honest, I like Dorsett. He is an effective 4th line player that is pretty consistent, who can move up to the third with injuries. I want him around playing with Etem, Gaunce, and Granlund to help them become more consistent NHLers. I think he did a lot for Horvat in his rookie year on the fourth line.

Only detractor is his contract. I don't have problems overpaying for one player who plays hard every night consistently.

Not to sure about Florida in this deal. They seem to be going with good analytic players lately. Dorsett is not fantastic in those numbers. But he is definitely a quality forth liner.

35 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Big fan of Dorsett, I am biased because I love his guts and passion for the game. Much like how he stands up to heavyweights at his size, I will stick up for him versus the majority of CDC :)

Guys who play with honor and follow the code get my respect any day of the week. Plus, he can kill penalties, skate, get in on the forecheck.....add to this that our 4th line on more than a few occasions was our best line! 

I do realize we now have Guddy and Trymak, but our forward group still does not have enough grit, trading Dors away for nothing would not be wise IMO. 

I'm with you in regards to his strengths, he does add a different element to the game than the rest of the forwards too, but I'm not sure his cap hit is worth it anymore considering the addition of Gud.

You can trade him, or lose him to expansion, well, him or Sbisa... or trade both.. and lose some plug to expansion because you set yourself up to. 

Dors is kinda the perfect guy to lose though. Vegas will want him for the cap hit, although the same argument could be made for Spisa... so... meh useless post, sorry.

Beer

30 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm with you in regards to his strengths, he does add a different element to the game than the rest of the forwards too, but I'm not sure his cap hit is worth it anymore considering the addition of Gud.

You can trade him, or lose him to expansion, well, him or Sbisa... or trade both.. and lose some plug to expansion because you set yourself up to. 

Dors is kinda the perfect guy to lose though. Vegas will want him for the cap hit, although the same argument could be made for Spisa... so... meh useless post, sorry.

Beer

Lucky, no such thing as a useless post from you my friend.... I love dorsett because too many times last season, in games we were down and out he was the one who made me get off my couch and say Friggen Rights! Hard to put a value on guys like that who give that attitude to the rest of the team. Right now I think the youngsters are still transitioning to the league, no confidence yet to start pushing back they are still focusing on being regulars. 

I saw flashes from Bo and Bear late last year in terms of scrumming it up and not taking BS... as for expansion I think there are going to be a lot of decent players exposed, if we lose a few guys well thats just life in today's "help American teams" NHL LOL

Vodka ;)

I hate Dorsett's contract but without him we have virtually no toughness amongst our forward lines. The only other guy is Virtanen, who's no enforcer and needs to develop the other areas of his game because he can be way more than a physical presence. We have guys who are gritty like Hansen, Burrows, and Etem, but Dorsett is the only true tough guy of the group. I can live with the occasional dumb penalty because he can at least play a regular shift and be more than a fighter.

As long as WD stops putting him out for those random shifts with the Sedins and keeps him playing 10-12 minutes a night I'm all for him. He plays a unique, necessary role on our team.

7 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I hate Dorsett's contract but without him we have virtually no toughness amongst our forward lines. The only other guy is Virtanen, who's no enforcer and needs to develop the other areas of his game because he can be way more than a physical presence. We have guys who are gritty like Hansen, Burrows, and Etem, but Dorsett is the only true tough guy of the group. I can live with the occasional dumb penalty because he can at least play a regular shift and be more than a fighter.

As long as WD stops putting him out for those random shifts with the Sedins and keeps him playing 10-12 minutes a night I'm all for him. He plays a unique, necessary role on our team.

If we get the 2014/15 Dorsett, who had 25 pnts and was a plus four, he is totally worth his contract. He can be a difference maker but hasn't showed it lately. Had he continued to put up consistent numbers, I could totally see him promoted to a third liner and given the opportunity to improve on his numbers.

That being said, I think he's going to get higher quality linemates this year on the fourth line. Now that he and Granlund will have a full training camp to work the kinks out before the season, I hope they'll be able to work well together to give us good production at the bottom.

With the uncertainty of just how long the Sedins are going to play, they have to see opportunity knocking. They just have to play smart, mistake free hockey. Keep it simple. Take advantage chances when they present themselves but offer no chances going the other way. 

A fourth line of Burrows, Granlund and Dorsett could become a pretty potent force as long as they embrace their role and not try to get too fancy.  

11 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

While I do think that Dorsett is somewhat of an overpriced penalty magnet, I do agree that he is possibly one of the only forwards who has any tangible grit, yes Burrows and Virtanen are serviceable, but Dorsett is legitimately not afraid of anyone. Crazy guy.

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I do think that Dorsett is somewhat of an overpriced penalty magnet, I do agree that he is possibly one of the only forwards who has any tangible grit, yes Burrows and Virtanen are serviceable, but Dorsett is legitimately not afraid of anyone. Crazy guy.

I would fight Tryamkin 82 times a year for 2.5M a year if I had to. 

I do love Dorsett but we have better options throughout the lineup and he could be the reason we lose Grenier to waivers. I'd rather trade him for an asset than lose Grenier for nothing

Archived